PDA

View Full Version : Another recent large painting

jkoehler
08-14-2003, 11:14 AM
Here's another recent large painting. I will be showing it to a gallery here in Chicago shortly.

62"x52", oil on canvas

Fagan
08-14-2003, 11:24 AM
A bird's eye view of the ocean ...with sailboats and waves of color.
Is this stretched on frame?

Tamana
08-14-2003, 12:18 PM
I honestly don't know what I see when I view this as "some ( ) thing", be it a crag or the magnification of fibers. What does strike me is the application, which appears counterclockwise and gives the illusion of spinning backwards, or falling. The muted palette grounds it except for the lighter seafoam/white combo center left, which depicts a light source.

The red gives it life. I LOVE that you paint directly out of the tube!! So do I!!! I only have acrylics for now, but one day I hope to be able to purchase oils.

I am really enjoying your posts. I was just telling another fairly new artist this morning that I hoped they didn't just drift in and out of here like so many. You're obviously seasoned re: your craft, and have a lot of wisdom (and beauty via your work), to share with a beginner such as myself.

Hope you too stay with us. :)

Thanks for posting.

Oh, and one more thing: I love the knife for application.

jkoehler
08-14-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks for your comments Tamana. There isn't a "something" in my work and your interpretation is always valid. It is impossible for me to interpret the pictures. That is: in the first place they are too emotional; they are, if possible, an expression of a speechless emotion. The paintings are the reality, the view, the object.

blkros
08-14-2003, 02:29 PM
I wish I could see this in RL, the size would make it even more awesome.