PDA

View Full Version : Wall Art (Sculpture) - Which Layout Is Best?

dd50
08-14-2003, 08:46 AM
Would like opinions on which lay-out looks best with this these pieces?

These are wood pieces, that have been painted .... with various 'textures' ... the round piece in the middle is a steel washer that's been textured and painted.

I'm still not sure how to attach 2 pictures, so I'll have to post twice.

Your opinions? Thanks!
Hugs,
Dee

dd50
08-14-2003, 08:47 AM
UGH! Sorry about that ... I tried to upload a new picture, but seems I deleted it. :rolleyes:

OK .. will try again below

Tamana
08-14-2003, 08:55 AM
I definitely prefer the second. It's all integrated. :)

dd50
08-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Sorry about that folks, this is actually the FIRST lay-out with the pieces placed closer together ....

Dee

dd50
08-14-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks Tamana,

Just for fun, take a look at the second lay-out again, I placed the pieces closer together ... does that make a difference in your decision?

Also, I'm just about to upload a new lay-out, tell me what you think of this one.

Edited to say: UGH!! :rolleyes:

I'm really messing up here .... ok .. brain is dead today, let's try this again. I didn't change the second lay-out, I changed the first one. LOL!!

Now I can't edit it ... have to wait a few more seconds .. hang in there with me! LOL!!

Hugs,
Dee

jkoehler
08-14-2003, 09:57 AM
The second works best.

Tamana
08-14-2003, 09:58 AM
What happened to the one I voted for? It's not even here anymore.

dd50
08-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Second lay-out:

mame
08-14-2003, 10:02 AM
maybe widening the space between the center horizontal construction and the BOTTOM horizontal bar?

If you do any matting or look at gallery/museum matted works, the bottom width is deeper(?) than the top width. Am I making sense? If you measure top of mat to opening, it is for example 2 inches, but from bottom to opening is 2 1/2 or 3 inches.

This slightly wider depth gives a work (and I think your construction) more visual stability......for some reason......but more interest - not quite symetrical (can't think of a better word).

Just ignore me......:rolleyes:

oops - didn't see your third example. I'm referring to your second arrangement (my preference).

dd50
08-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Tamana
What happened to the one I voted for? It's not even here anymore.

LOL!! It's back Tamana. Sorry about that ... brain dead today!

I had to straighten out the middle section .. it was off-centered.

Hugs,
Dee

dd50
08-14-2003, 10:04 AM
OK .. and finally, here's a third lay-out .... almost the same as the second one, only placed together 'touching'.

Dee

Tamana
08-14-2003, 10:06 AM
I like my original choice. :)

You may want to see what it lookes like in a horizontal position too.

RickS
08-15-2003, 01:11 AM
I vote for the first lay-out----------I honestly can't tell you why, but I REALLY love this..!....Ok, I'll take my ignorant self back to my 'cave'.....:)

dd50
08-15-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by jkoehler
The second works best.

Thank you Jkoehler! :)

Dee

dd50
08-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Mame,

These days my brain is really on vacation ... LOL ... can you explain that in simplier terms? I just can't seem to 'get' it.

Thanks!
Dee

dd50
08-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Tamana
I like my original choice. :)

You may want to see what it lookes like in a horizontal position too.

OK Tam, I'll try that ...

Dee

dd50
08-15-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by RickS
I vote for the first lay-out----------I honestly can't tell you why, but I REALLY love this..!....Ok, I'll take my ignorant self back to my 'cave'.....:)

Rick,

Thank you for your opinion ... I appreciate different views. : )

And you are NOT ignorant! So stop that! :p

Hugs,
Dee

mame
08-15-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by dd50
Mame,

These days my brain is really on vacation ... LOL ... can you explain that in simplier terms? I just can't seem to 'get' it.

Thanks!
Dee

Dee- Sorry that my brain is permanently on vacation!
I think I mean -
more space between the small bottom horizontal bar and the main larger bar than the top smaller one and the main one.

Just gives it a bit more tension/less predictability (visually) to my eye - but this is a very subjective thing.

Some "eyes" are drawn to perfect symmetry when making or looking. Others like the world a little more off kilter. LOL!

Mary Riggs
08-15-2003, 06:01 PM
I like the first layout because it is symmetrical, suggesting structure and balance. Mounted on a dark chocolate or rust colored or even copper sheeting background would be stunning in my view.