PDA

View Full Version : Skin Tones - Finding a Palette

VanessaT
09-15-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm trying to determine which colours are best for various skin tones/ethnicities. I was wondering if anyone knows of some resources that give guidelines or "pallette suggestions" for various skin tones?

Or might anyone be able to share pics of their palettes? :o

DAK723
09-15-2012, 05:42 PM
There are some photos of pastel sets on Dick Blick's website. Unison has some sets for different ethnicities that might be helpful:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/unison-handmade-pastel-sets/

The 2nd and 3rd horizontal rows on the right are portrait sets.

You might want to check out some of the other pastel brands for photos of sets. Might give you some ideas.

Hope this helps.

Don

Colorix
09-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Chris Saper has an excellent book, something like Painting beautiful skintones. She shows palettes (oil, but also shows how to solve it for pastels), for warm and cool light for people of at least four different pigmentations.

It's been a while since I read it, sorry I can't remember the title perfectly.

Theodorablau
09-16-2012, 04:23 AM
You're right, Charlie, it's an excellent book:

Chris Saper, Painting beautiful skin tones with color and light in oil, pastel and watercolor (North Light Books)

VanessaT
09-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone! Don I can use those as a starting guide to forming a palette I'm sure. Unison groups them pretty well which is a good starting point.

Ladies I checked out a few preview pages from Saper's book and his table of contents! Some really good stuff in there! Thankyou!!

allydoodle
09-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone! Don I can use those as a starting guide to forming a palette I'm sure. Unison groups them pretty well which is a good starting point.

Ladies I checked out a few preview pages from Saper's book and his table of contents! Some really good stuff in there! Thankyou!!

Chris Saper is a very accomplished female artist :smug: !

VanessaT
09-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Oops!! Thanks Christine, well that makes the book all the more better :) hehe

smudged-blue
09-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Not sure if this will help as this is an artist that uses pastel pencils. Just found this the other day myself.

Colin Bradley is his name. He has some stuff on wildlife, landscapes and portraits.

http://colinbradleyartstore.co.uk/shop/