PDA

View Full Version : need help

Pilan
08-14-2003, 01:32 AM
Over the last 2 weeks I have had an image that has popped in and out of my artist minds eye. I am aware of the image and think that I need to paint it. When I try and recall the image I can't make it come forward. I guess I have not reached the end of my gestation time. :(

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before. The painting is very powerful I feel it strongly. what can I do to make it come forward to my conscious mind. I think this is a spiritual image. Over the last 3 weeks I have been mulling over a painting in my mind for an exhibit called Walk with god in our church. So, this is why I think its spiritual..... I hope it is so I can have my painting done in time for this event.

I just need some help, please.....I need it to come forward.

thank you
Pilan

Gisele
08-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Yes I've been through this myself time and time again. The difficult thing that I find is to find some reference material that will help with the final painting. For instance, I had the urge, after reading a very fascinating story of a boy in ancient Egypt, to paint the image I kept seing inside my mind. I did a preliminary sketch but it lacks any details as I work from memory and some guessing also. I feel it needs more to become a final painting. So I've put it aside for now; but know it will become a painting one day.

In the meantime, I practice with textures, different papers and colours and different subjects and I learn much in this way.

Good luck!

Gisele:)

Pilan
08-14-2003, 11:51 AM
thank you Giesle, glad I am not the only one who has experienced something like this. This morning I feel closer to the image and hopefully soon because I need it done before the Aug 23. :eek:

jramoyo
08-23-2003, 01:45 PM
is it the feeling that you want to work on some idea you have in mind but you can't actually bring out a concrete image of the idea?:confused:

Keith Russell
09-01-2003, 12:10 AM
Pilan, well, your deadline of 23 August has passed...

...were you able to retreive the image, and complete your project, I hope?

K

mame
09-01-2003, 09:50 AM
research Automatism/Pollock/Jungian psychology. (for future conundrums)

It takes a willingness to let go and not being afraid of that big, blank, white canvas and "failure" but it works............:D

Historically, Surrealism might include some info too.

CarlyHardy
09-03-2003, 12:13 AM
I have a painting that I did that began as an idea....wasn't sure what the idea was either....just an idea. First I applied a handmade paper over the surface of a canvas....which I'd never done before! and then I began to wash on color in an abstract pattern. As the oils floated and settled into the texture, shapes and figures formed. I simply painted in and around the figures until the painting was complete.

When I look at the painting now...I know that it wasn't a conscious effort on my part to create it. It simply came out of an inner struggle that I was unaware of at the time. I've noticed that when someone sees it, they don't grasp what I do from it. It seems to be personal to the viewer in how they interpret it.

carly