PDA

View Full Version : Daily Fumble

Madder
08-13-2003, 05:31 AM
What, no grumble from anyone yet? OK, my turn
I can't paint because the deadline for my project is approaching fast and I have to meet it.. (translating bookkeeping software :o oh so boring, so when I'm about to yell I can't take anymore "purchase order detail amendment", I switch to WC for a breather...)

A while ago I asked for favorite colors and I haven't forgotten, mean to do something more with that, want to make a chart of some of the colors I have with a tonal value, so once I get round to that will post it, might come in handy...
Good luck painting or working today.
Angeline, hope you have a good day on that ward!
Madder with the windows closed and the blinds down

I know I will regret complaining about the heat when winter comes...

Greeble
08-13-2003, 06:21 AM
W*rk can be very boring :(

I hope things cool down over there.

My computer had a seizure monday. It took them two days to get it to the point where I can get my spreadsheets and data off, then they will wipe its poor lil hard drive and reload windows and office. I guess its one day to get more room on my hard drive. :D

Jen

soap
08-13-2003, 08:22 AM
Hi all! I know about boring work Madder!!
thankfully the heat is completely gone here. Normal 20-ish degrees here now. Very pleasant.
Went back to my bike shop and thankfully sorted things. I am getting an even fancier bike for the same price, in the right size. Phew. That's that sorted. All we need now is one of those carrier rack for on the car and we're off to France! :)
Cannot seem to get to work, have so many chores to do. Booking a B&B in Dover is next.........

Hope you're all painting! (as I won't for a while)

Madder
08-13-2003, 10:10 AM
hAppy holidays Soap! Are you taking the tunnel?
We won't have to remind you to bring your pastel supplies, now will we?:evil: I'm sure folks here are expecting each girl to do her pastel duty while out holidaying in France!!!

Good luck with the new space in your Office, Greeble, don't forget to open the Windows!

soap
08-13-2003, 10:22 AM
Thanks Madder. No, we're taking the ferry to Calais and then on to the Loire! I'll probably not take any drawing stuff with me, as I know myself........I'll have it there and won't touch it......LOL....too busy with being on holiday (and trying out my new bike)! Ooh.....so hit me.......I am a traitor to the pastel forum.....no pastels on holiday....how dare I.....:D.......dugs for flying pastels and screaming pastelists....:D.....LOL

maybe a tiny little pencil then....and a notepad.....:angel:

bnoonan
08-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Wow - feel so out of touch and yet I'm glad to see the daily pages continue. Soap - have a fabulous trip to France. I'm entirely jealous. Madder - just remember there's pastel dust in the light at the end of the tunnel... Greeble - nice to meet you! I think you won't be alone with computer problems after hearing about this wide spread virus.

I'm just finally sipping coffee after a 12 hour sleep and multiple flights and time zone changes. Guess I'm getting old.

My trip back to Maine and Massachusetts reminded me why I moved to a dryer and sunnier climate. We experienced rain, fog and lots of humidity. I'll have stories to share about that another time. Although it sounded like a vacation when I planned the trip, it ended up being more work than I thought.

Today I get to relax a bit, get caught up on things and then go to portrait painting class tonight. It will be good to be back in this pleasant routine.

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
08-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Welcome back Barb! Everybody's coming and going -

Soap - you have a restful holiday!

Has anyone heard how Dawn is doing??

Hello to Mo - I'm sure you are busy with your preparations, so just saying "hey"!

bnoonan
08-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Hi Kat,
Where is Dawn? Mo? I was surprised to not see them posting today. B

Kathryn Wilson
08-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi Barb:

We heard from Smudger that Dawn was having a small operation - haven't heard anything since.

Mo is preparing for her show, so I am sure she is busy and frazzled.

Good to see you back! Lots of postings for you to look through.

bnoonan
08-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks Kat. I'm so glad you're keeping tabs on folks for us.
I'll have to PM Dawn and wish her well with things.

Are you painting today? I have to download about 200 digital images from my trip and then work on 2 commissioned pieces. Exciting but I'm moving slowwwwww

B

soap
08-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Hi Barb, long time no see......Hope you're doing alright. 200 photos.......aarch, that's a lot! If you're into digital camera's at all.....I've asked some questions (as I don't know much about them) in the business forum, but nobody seems to want to answer me. It's in the inkjet dig cam, dpi etc thread. If you can help out........

Good to see you back.
Kat - hi to you too. Hope Dawn is alright.

Kathryn Wilson
08-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Hey Barb - nope, I've been a bad girl this week. Was working on a project, but the weather has been so ugly I can't seem to get into it again. It'll come - can't stay away from those pastels for too long - so addictive.

Looking forward to your wonderful posts again - :D

nougat
08-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Hi all!!

Bon Voyage Soap!!!

Welcome back Bnoonan!!!

Yes all work is the pits... I'm a 'homemaker' and there are some days when I just can't face another dirty plate or meal to prepare...aarrrgghhhh!!!

Hi to Mo!!

and Dawn, hope you're feeling better and getting well soon!

nadine

Greeble
08-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by nougat
there are some days when I just can't face another dirty plate or meal to prepare...aarrrgghhhh!!!

You should institute the occassional "every one for himself" meal night. I do that a lot. (of course, I have no kids)

I just wish I could teach my sweetie to cook. But he likes hot sauce way too much.

Jen

christmascarolnz
08-13-2003, 02:36 PM
I got up an hour ago and it's interesting to see when some of you folk are on-line! Do I have to get up in the wee small hours to chat?
I'm looking at buying a digital camera as well - been doing so much research and reading reviews on the net that my brain is fryed and my eyes are square.
What are you looking at getting Soap? What are your requirements?
Try www.dpreviews.com or go to www.digitalcameras.co.nz and when you see a camera you like, go down to reviews and read 'Steves'. From there check out the forums and what folk are saying. I hope that helps. I was looking at a Sony dcv-1, but now am salivating over the Fuji Finepix 602Zoom.
Would someone give me a massage please? ..and some of that hot weather would be great. It's cold here.
Carol

Katherine J
08-13-2003, 02:58 PM
Hi all

I'm in awe of all your people who seem to manage to work AND keep regularly connected on WC AND paint. I don't even work and I can't keep up on the computer! Let's see, what could I come up with for excuses?.......Right now my excuse is that we're preparing for another kayak trip and although this one is only 3 days, it seems to take as much fussing as a week-long journey. And that's another exccuse, we've been away a lot and when home, very busy with festivals, volunteer work, visitors, etc. OK that's enough! The good part of today is I have 2 women coming over to view my work and I know one is a sure sale.

Happy holidays to those going, and good recovery to those returning!

Digital cameras - yes, that's what I need and it'll happen, some day. I'll let you people do all the work and then hit you up for advice!!

Katherine

christmascarolnz
08-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Digital cameras - yes, that's what I need and it'll happen, some day. I'll let you people do all the work and then hit you up for advice!!
ah ha ha haa lol Not fair!
Carol:p

CBruce
08-13-2003, 03:53 PM
I'm not an expert but did a lot of research before purchasing my first digital camera. I still missed one thing but....I've been using an olympus digital for about 2 years and love it. The only problem that I've ever had is "eating batteries", should have bought the one that doesn't do that. Just make sure your camera is compatible with your computer (drivers) and printer. I had to purchase (you can download) drivers to have the camera and system work with XP. It is so nice to be able to edit your pictures and not keep the bad ones. My only advice would be to buy the best that you can afford and know that like all computer/techie items....they'll have a new one out with more features as you pass through the door with your bag. Be glad to send you some of our heat. This is our first week out of triple digits.:clap:

Mo.
08-13-2003, 05:23 PM
G'evening all!! :D Barb....I'm here.....look I'm waving to you :clap:

How did your show go?

Have heard from Dawn, she's a very sore, and feeling a rather down.....could do with some cheer....so how about filling her mailbox with something cheery guys?

Well I've sent all my paintings to the framers, then this evening painted another one in just under an hour.... I'll post it soon...think I'll pop it into framer's tomorrow. I've posted all my invites, put out all my flyers and posters. Pheww!!! can relax a little now I hope...still a bit to do, but getting there.... who said I was frazzled.... I'm frizzed and frazzled. :D:D

Sophie you gadding off again?..... Lucky you.....So much chatter her today......love it.

christmascarolnz
08-13-2003, 05:25 PM
We work in celcius here so I wouldn't know what your temps are like. I know Britain has high temps at present, but they are ones we are used to in some parts of NZ.
Thanks for the info about your digicam. I'm looking at a Fuji finepix 620z, but with our exchange rate of .58cents to the US $ it is expensive.
If you position your fan toward the North Island of NZ you might be able to sent a heat wave of sorts!:cool:
Cheers,
Carol

Katherine J
08-13-2003, 06:01 PM
Quite right, Carol, no fair for you to do the research and me to benefit!! In the end, everyone really has to do their own research to ensure they really get what they want and what suits their systems.

Good day for me - two women came and each bought!!

Katherine

Kathryn Wilson
08-13-2003, 07:29 PM
CBRUCE: Our first digital camera was an Olympus and we had fun with it, but as you say it ate the batteries. I am curious though, do you have problems with the color red with your Olympus - ours does and we have never been able to solve the problem -

We have a Minolta Dimmage now and it takes wonderful photos.

CBruce
08-13-2003, 07:40 PM
kyle...haven't noticed a problem with red but now you've got me looking.....olympus C3000zoom....i've always liked Minolta and have a regular body with zoom. Must admit I haven't used it as much since we bought the digital.

Mo.
08-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Talking dig cams... I have a Fujifilm finepix 2600 zoom 3x optical zoom 2.0MP..it also has a movie option... I've had this cam for about 10 months now, and it really is superb, it's only drawback tend to have a blue cast, but most digi's have a colour cast I think, which is easily corrected in Photoshop... can thoroughly recommend this one. I use rechargeable batteries, have six of those, and always carry two spares, the macro will use up batteries as will the veiwer, but I find it pretty good as far as battery usage is concerned, had a free battery charger with the cam too... plus some basic photo imaging software... It cost me around 230... don't know what that is in dollars... it's probably a mid range cam.... was this any help?

doe
08-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Hi folks - just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the camera. I've been looking too and think I'm going to get Fuji Finepix 3800, it seems to have everything and can be accessorized to death, all at a reasonable price. You can see it at www.beachcamera.com. Now I'm concerned about the blue cast on Fuji, but you're right Mo, it can be adjusted. Re: WindowsXP drivers - had the same problem with my Epson scanner - Bill Gates wouldn't allow it, but I installed it anyway.

Now, stay cool or warm whichever applies!

Get well soon, Dawn!

soap
08-14-2003, 02:05 AM
Bly me, I totally missed all this info last night. No email update.....
Great info guys. Thanks!!
I am not looking at a particular cam just yet until I understand what I need.........2 Megapixels, or 3 or 4 or more? I don't understand that bit. Mo, you say your camera works great. Can you print out A4 size photos? At what dpi? I want a camera that can do that and wonder if I need 300 dpi for that size.

I scan my paintings (directly - put painting on scanner) and scan and a high resolution so I can print at a minimum of 300 dpi for repro's of A4 or A3. Works good.

Smudger
08-14-2003, 03:39 AM
Soap

3MP will print A4 @ 300dpi no problem i use the Fuji FinePix but if you want to print any bigger you will need 5MP.

soap
08-14-2003, 05:09 AM
Aha! Thanks Smudge! With some dig cam's it states 2816x2160 pixels. If you don't mind me asking another question........does that mean it can take x amount of pictures in that resolution or does that mean it can only take ONE in that resolution and then the memory is full?

Smudger
08-14-2003, 05:14 AM
it depends on rhe size of the card... i have a 128mg one and that holds 100 high res images or more if you have it set on a lower res

soap
08-14-2003, 05:23 AM
rrright......ok......thanks smudge - just the info I needed. Now I can broadly start looking at these things and maybe walk into a shop or so without feeling like a total idiot.:D

For instance I see one Fuji Finepix F601 which is 3.9 megapixels, 2832x2128 pixels, 16MB card can take 6,13 or 33 images on that card. So I assume that means 6 images of the max resolution (2832x2128). And 13 or 33 on a lower resolution. Right?

Kathryn Wilson
08-14-2003, 07:32 AM
That sounds right Sophie . . . glad you found the info you need.