PDA

View Full Version : New to Pastels - but DARN I'm good!! Hee hee!

ArtyHelen
06-18-2001, 08:26 AM
Please excuse my boastful subject line, but I am feeling rather proud of myself. :D That doesn't happen very often so please let me enjoy it while it lasts! :D

I did my first pastel portrait without realising it was a pastel portrait. :D The shop had advertised some pastel pencils as "coloured charcoal" and I didn't know they were the same! (It's at http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10930 )

Well, here is my second one. This time I worked from a photo.

As I said, I am very proud of it.

How many coats of fixative do you guys put on these pastel pieces?

Thanx!

Helen

ArtyHelen
06-18-2001, 08:28 AM
And here's a close-up:

Roan
06-18-2001, 10:09 AM
Fixative? None :)

Most pastelist's do not use fixative at all as it changes the colors and nature of the pastel.

Some do, and they are quite vocal about it :) More power to them!

Great job on Freddie, there, Helen!

FYI, pastel pencils are pastel, but they are much harder and don't really handle the same way as soft pastel does -- nor are the results quite the same.

ArtyHelen
06-18-2001, 10:18 AM
Thanx Roan!

I didn't know that about pastels/pencils. I did use some of my soft pastels with this as well, because I don't have the pencils in too many colours yet. (But I have a set of 60 on the way. :D )

I'm going to have to spray it, as I have to send it in the post to get prints! :eek:

Helen

Roan
06-18-2001, 10:21 AM
Ah, wondered about that!

It's very "unpencil" looking :)

FYI, you know, you can make a "mat board" out of foamcore to surround the actual painting (with a window for the painting surface -- make sure about an 1" on all sides is underneath the board) and sandwich it between two more layers of foamcore. Shipped flat and you really don't need fixative.

jaymedecas
06-18-2001, 10:50 AM
This is awesome! It literally took my breath away! Oh WOW!!! Helen, please continue with pastels! This is just beautiful work, and you've really captured Freddie!!!!

Jayme

ArtyHelen
06-18-2001, 11:27 AM
Roan! :eek: What a wonderful idea for shipping! Thank you!!!

Jayme, I'm so glad you like it! :) I will certainly continue to use pastels! :) I'm hoping it will get my style a bit looser than pencils, and give me some practise of seeing 'colour mass' for my paintings!

Thank you!

Helen

journey341
06-18-2001, 01:33 PM
WOOO HOOO HELEN!!!! A b/w to color convert! I am so proud of you! I MUUUST get going on doing some color! At my arts fair that I had a booth at Sat. many people asked me about doing color... I guess it is in demand! Thank you for sharing this wonderful drawing!

You SHOULD be proud!!

:D

wendee
06-19-2001, 03:00 AM
WOW this is great Helen congratulations....wow...you go girl LOL:D

Ohju
06-19-2001, 05:42 PM
Great job, Helen!!! :D :clap:

Thanks Roan for the info on shipping pastels....got to ship one soon. :D

Yeah, I'm one that uses fixative. :evil: :angel: hee
~Julie

joemajury
06-20-2001, 02:18 PM
Helen,
I cant believe this is only your 2nd Portrait, you are right to feel pround, you have really captured him.
I have one SMALL comment to make on the painting ( and its only my humble opinion), but I dont like the background behind him.
The Portrait itself is SO strong, I think this background distracts you from it, I personally would use something a lot more softer.
If you have an image editor, try out a few backgrounds to see what I mean.

Joe
;) ;)
PS, you could enter this into the new Celebrity Project.

Lulu
06-23-2001, 12:18 AM
Wow Helen! Way to go!:clap:
Glad that the coloured charcoal turned out to be pastels:)
I was beginning to think that there was yet another medium not available to us Down Under!

Victor
06-24-2001, 04:07 PM
This is fantastic Helen, think what you will be producing from now on. I love your drawings, I visited your site. The only place to go now is up...:clap:

ArtyHelen
06-26-2001, 09:42 AM
Jodie - thanx! (Certainly not the first time I've tried colour by the way, just pastels!) You should definitely try colour! With your grasp on values I'm sure you'd fit right into it!

Julie and Wendee - thank you! ;)

Joe - Thank you! The red background is for a reason - I wanted red and black, to give a 'devilish' look. This one is called 'The Black Side'. I am going to do him again in softer colours with a kinder expression, and call it 'The White Side'. :)

Lulu and Victor - bless you for your kind encouragement! :)

Helen