PDA

View Full Version : Valley of Rocks WIP

arnieb
09-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Visited here recently. Walking along the cliff path from Lynton you turn a corner and this vista appears just had to do a painting of it.
I had planned to put a bushy tree in bottom right corner, but am now thinking its better as it is comment appreciated.
Also wondering about the scale of young couple they were nearer on the path but have moved them further back for better composition.
Oil on canvas 24x12
All comments appreciated. Thanks Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2012/192075-mini-Valley_of_the_Rocks_-_03.JPG

Trumper
09-13-2012, 07:15 AM
:) Looking good,i would keep the right hand side clear as it shows the height and drop of the cliffs.
To me the couple look fine,we don't know how far away they were and their small size give scale and depth.:)

Debzy
09-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Wow Arnie!!! You certainly have visited some awesome places! I love this! I agree not to put the bush in, and I think the people are fine too! Great stuff Arnie! Loving the colours! =)) Cheers Debs.

tony1
09-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Nicely done. I would not put a bushy tree in the bottom right, there would be no reference for it. There's no foreground there and the tree, imo, would look out of place. I agree with Trumper that it helps the scale having the right "empty".

arnieb
09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks Trumper, Debs and Tony. I agree so will leave it out.
I spent a few days here camping with my eldest son. Its about 4 hours away. We walked from campsite by the river to top of centre rock, and back via a different route. About 3 hours - although you could drive and use the car park 1/4 mile away.
Have a few more sceens to paint when I get round to it - so you will get to see a bit more of this part of Exmoor. Arnie

sweeter_than
09-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I like it, the drawing is great and the people work. Not sure about the values on the grass. Through my monitor it appears that the near and middle hills are only differentiated by the saturation level of the greens. Would expect the lit parts to be lighter, not just less grey?

Though I don't live near anywhere with this type of scenery, so I would believe you if you told me it was a common trick of the light. :)

Andrewcody
09-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi Arnie
Not sure how I missed this, but it looks really good.
The prominent tall cliff especially.
Regards
Andrew

maryinasia
09-14-2012, 02:57 AM
I really, really love this, but wish the people weren't centered halfway up the painting.

arnieb
09-14-2012, 03:52 AM
Thanks sweeter ,Andrew and Mary.
Sweeter:Was planning on making near grass darker to fix this problem, and both these areas need work to make the grass look more undulating/rough.
Mary:I would also have preferred if the couple were nearer/in a 1/3 rd point but wanted to use this format canvas, and thought this was an acceptable compromise.
Thanks Arnie:wave:

song_bird
09-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Beautiful painting. I think it could benefit from more randomization. In particular, the shrubby patches in the foreground make me think of leopard spots. Some of the rocks on the hill read as dotted, as well.

Like the walkers and don't think they are too small. Their subtle presence is effective. Lovely atmosphere and place to revisit.

arnieb
09-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks song bird. Will be working on the fg and rocks next. Arnie

arnieb
10-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Some more work on this one - almost done now. Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2012/192075-mini-Valley_of_the_Rocks_-_04.JPG

rossmarie
10-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Arnie - this really is extremely well done & very much your style which I have come to recognise. You have captured the slightly misty scene well & recession of the cliffs into the distance. I hesitate to offer any critique - but if it was me I would slightly darken the near vertical cliff (centre picture) plus sharpen up the rocks against sky on top and also sharpen up the edge leading up 45 deg from figure on path. Think this will increase feeling of depth to the picture.

regards

Mike

arnieb
10-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks Mike. Great suggestion. Arnie

crafor
10-05-2012, 03:46 PM
So nice, arnieb. Well done.
Ella

DebbieO
10-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I really like the couple where they are. They don't jump out at you but you are lead to them eventually and it makes it more interesting.

arnieb
10-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks Ella and DebbieO. Some work on edge and main rock as suggested by Mike and the path. Going to get a better photo and stick it in Open Forum now. Arnie
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2012/192075-mini-Valley_of_the_Rocks_-_05.JPG