PDA

View Full Version : Litho-Kits

neutrahouse
08-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Dick Blick's sells "Litho-Kits" -

http://www.dickblick.com/zz489/02/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=1792

I was wondering if anyone had tried these. What's the quality. Do you need a printing press?

Neutra

timelady
08-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Well, they include wooden spoons for burnishing - that means printing. So looks like you put the paper on top of your plate and just hand press it. :) Looks pretty cool. I only had a very very very brief try at litho and we just did a handpressed print off a litho stone, no printing press. (It was a print workshop and I was more interested in getting press time for some etchings. :))

Tina.

sassybird
08-14-2003, 12:03 PM
I got out of doing litho because I was concentrating on intaglio. I know it is difficult to get the even pressure you do with a press, and litho presses are very different from intaglio presses. The stones are hard to prepare in the wet sanding time put in. A lot of elbow grease is required. I would not think that the kit would include a real litho stone, which is the only way to go IMHO. I have watched people work the stones, and I know that even the smallest stone can cost hundreds of dollars. There is only one place in the world to get these stones.

neutrahouse
08-25-2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks, sassy and timelady!

paintbug
09-28-2003, 08:36 AM
OK I have been reading the instructions for the kit and it talks about "rubbing stones" as follows;

"Rubbing stones are specially formulated and cast from crayon material. They are used by taking a soft cloth and rubbing it against the rubbing stone, which transfers the crayon material to the cloth. The cloth is then rubbed over the master creating halftones (grey areas). The more you rub the darker the images."

Has anybody used these and where does one get them?

Also I was pleased to find out that you can draw on the masters with Sanford Sharpies. They also say you can obtain very fine lines with Micron Pigma's 005. 01, 02, 03, 04.

So my second question is what are Micron Pigma's and where does one get them?
Thanks,
Bob B.

pinkbubelz
10-12-2003, 12:57 PM
I've only done litho using the metal plates instead of stones. Less time consuming from what I understand. We used a press.

The only difficult thing about litho IMHO is that you must be very consistent with inking the plate (whether stone or metal or whatever).

If you are someone who is less meticulous, it is really difficult to get a consistent print.... (i.e. you need to be extremely careful in the amount of ink on the plate, keeping your hands clean, etc.

Haven't tried the paper litho process... looks like it would be a fun thing to try with kids!

Alan Cross
11-13-2003, 02:11 AM
Intresting kit would be fun to play with....
Alan :)

pampe
11-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by paintbug

Also I was pleased to find out that you can draw on the masters with Sanford Sharpies. They also say you can obtain very fine lines with Micron Pigma's 005. 01, 02, 03, 04.

So my second question is what are Micron Pigma's and where does one get them?
Thanks,
Bob B.

Micron Pgmas are black permanent drawing pens...they come in various sizes...mostly available at art supply sources....I got mine at ASWexpress.com

paintbug
11-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Thanks Pampe,
I did find a source through Google and have gotten them.

I also found the "rubbing stones" mentioned in the Litho-Sketch instructions.

"Rubbing stones are specially formulated and cast from crayon material. They are used by taking a soft cloth and rubbing it against the rubbing stone, which transfers the crayon material to the cloth. The cloth is then rubbed over the master creating halftones (grey areas). The more you rub the darker the images."

They are "Stones Lithographic Crayons" which I'm also anxious to try. All I need is some time to play.:(

Actually I may have to make some time just to protect my sanity.:p Oops too late for that it's already gone.:D
Bob B.