PDA

View Full Version : Lack of inspiration

ElizaLeahy
08-11-2003, 11:43 PM
The last few months I've been going into a depression. Went and had a blood test today to see if my tablets are still working. Makes painting a chore rather then a joy, and sometimes I can't paint at all, it turns out like a kids painting or something the dog did.

It's not that I'm not selling. I am, although not getting many good bids, but then it's slow all over I know that.

Today I was feeling abit better, went to the art shop and bought some water colour paper, thought that maybe using a different medium might help.

Now I just sit and look at it. I'm eating too much, not exercising at all, I hate the city.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

Laura Tasheiko
08-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Hi Eliza! I've been going thru much the same these past few weeks. Slow sales and low bids definately don't help. I feel like I desperately need a break, but I'm just too damn poor! so I keep pushing myself. I did have a couple of good gallery sales last week, which spurred me on a bit.
But some days are just hard. I didn't finish my computer work today until 2pm, giving me a late start painting. I just finished for the day and it's just past midnight. I know exercise would help me sleep better than I do (which is hardly at all lately), but I rarely take the time to do it.
Changing media helps, and getting out of the studio once in a while helps, too. I have a show opening this coming Sunday, and am looking forward to a nice day off and a drive around to the other side of the bay... seeing some folks, eating some tasty tidbits... :D
I'm hoping to take a day to ferry over to Monhegan Island w/my camera and sketch book for new reference material soon, too. Whatever it takes....keep on painting. :) L

CarlyHardy
08-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Eliza, I think this thread would be better in the Creativity Corner...but I know we all hang out more here!

I feel the same way a lot of the time. Having my husband working out-of-town for two years and my daughter away at college have really created 'burn-out' for me at times. Both emotionally and creatively. I find that when I get to the point where I'm not exercising and over-eating...I have to ask myself "what is it in my life that I no longer feel I have control over?" My overeating is a symptom of my exerting that control over food that I don't have in another area of my life.

Sometimes, like right now, its a situation that I cannot control. My husband's job is important and moving to be with him is not an option. I don't really want my daughter (as much as I love her!) to drop out of the school she is in and move home...just to keep me company. After two years, you'd think I'd adjust better to being at home alone too!

If anything, it helps me to recognize that there are things in my life which I cannot control! and that what I am enduring now is probably 'training' for something greater later on. We cannot know or plan for the future....we can only take hold of the present and live it to the fullest. I awake every day with that thought..I hope it will give you some encouragement also.
carly

laurali
08-12-2003, 12:08 AM
I battle depression also, Eliza. What works for me is long walks out in nature. I started small. At first I could only walk to the corner & back without breaking out in a sweat (a bit of agoraphobia thrown in). But now, I can walk a couple miles and have some favorite places to go that pick up my spirits. I take a camera along and photograph the flowers & trees for reference material.

Also, when I get down & blocked, I watch painting shows. Simply Painting (www.simplypainting.com/) and Joy of Painting emphasize how easy it is to paint and can get me moving. My dad was an artist and I started watching them after he passed away. They are comforting to me.

Another thing that sometimes works is to make a pot of tea and read an engrossing book (I like mysteries).

Laura

Alisa
08-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Eliza,

When I get depressed (which I have been lately) I swtich mediums. I recently switched to pastel and tonight pulled out a color pencil I started years ago!

Watercolor is a wonderful medium that you can totally "let go" with if you're in the mood. Here's one of my fav paintings I did without any preconceived ideas. I'm not sure why I like it so much but I remember being in a depression when I did it and by the time I was finished I felt much better. Listening to music helps me too, (hence the title) so does lighting candles and painting at 3am heehee.

http://www84.pair.com/waw/art/myweb/moondance.htm

here's a link to artist magazine, and an article you might get inspired by. Also if you look to the left at this page, on the menu look for "art articles search" and search "watercolor. There are some really creative ideas there that might help you break the depression pattern.

Good Luck, and you are so not alone!

Alisa~

Alisa
08-12-2003, 12:40 AM
forgot the link to artist magazine site...

http://www.artistsmagazine.com/tam_terms.asp

hairballsdotcom
08-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Eliza, you're not alone!

My secret....
"Curves for Women" (exercise place) & Progesterone cream (I call it my 'happy cream'.) I don't go to curves as much as I'd like because of my knees/fibromyalgia, but even once a week makes me feel better. Occasionally if I feel up to it I go 3 times and week and that REALLY helps.

arlene
08-12-2003, 01:18 AM
yep carly, my mom keeps saying it's not what you're eating that's making you heavy...it's what's eating you.

Eliza when we are depressed we tend to play the what if game...and that keeps us frozen and feeling out of control...try living one day, one hour, one minute at a time.

after 9/11 i finally figured out i can only control my own actions and that we never know what's going to happen a day from now, a week, etc...so the best thing to do is to realize nothing stays the same...

anyway i find i'm alot less anxious and alot happier now.

it's late, and i have a feeling i'm rambling...i'll try again in the morning.

ElizaLeahy
08-12-2003, 01:31 AM
I'm dropping everything and running away - that works.

We are going to the beach tomorrow for 3 days, 2 nights. Taking the little bird, my watercolours and my new watercolour pad, and staying in a caravan.

I'll return with photos for you :)

kellysue
08-12-2003, 01:38 AM
Great idea, Eliza! A little vacation to break the monotony and grip of depression. New views to inspire your paintings. Stay loose and have fun in your caravan--is that the same as a camper?

Kellysue

timelady
08-12-2003, 04:11 AM
There's some great ideas here! I usually allow myself time off. Sometimes I forget that I can't paint every day of the year. :) I also flip through old sketchbooks, or just do something completely non-creative like paperwork. Hey, that stuff needs to be done too so it's a good break from the painting when I don't fancy it (or when it's too hot, like it's been this week)

I'm going to move this over to the creativity forum but leave a shortcut to the thread here for the regulars in the business forums. :)

Tina.

DanaT
08-12-2003, 09:25 AM
I'm glad you did, Tina. :)

Eliza, you're doing the right thing but a lot of times, doing the right thing doesn't get instant results. Just keep trying different things and wait for something to click. Your vacation soiunds great.

surreal
08-12-2003, 11:48 PM
I am a different person since 9/11.

I have not come up with a philosophy that works for me on a daily basis, yet.
I try very hard not to think about 9/11 and retaliatory terrorism.

I try very hard to be as positive and upbeat as possible.

Alot of us artists suffer from depression, it seems. There have been threads about it on many forums, on an ongoing basis, it seems.

:)

P.S. - *I just realized that I am not in the "art bus" forum and am in the Creativity Corner. LOL*

dd50
08-24-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by hairballsdotcom
Eliza, you're not alone!

My secret....
"Curves for Women" (exercise place) & Progesterone cream (I call it my 'happy cream'.) I don't go to curves as much as I'd like because of my knees/fibromyalgia, but even once a week makes me feel better. Occasionally if I feel up to it I go 3 times and week and that REALLY helps.

Lori:

We have allot in common ... I also have FMS, and suffer from off and on depression ... also ... I use Progesterone cream! :-)

Hmmm??? Come to think of it, I'm all out .... that may explain why I've been more emotional and moody this month!

Sadly ... I also have Lupus, CFS, Menier's Disease and Deteriation of the disk ... so even walking is exhausting for me. Bummer!

Hugs,
Dee