PDA

View Full Version : another floral-pansy and some help needed

arlene
08-11-2003, 11:05 PM
this was done this week. size is 8" x 8" on gessoed masonite.

got a question or two for you experts.

1. I'm using the liquitex concentrated in the bottles. I like to achieve a smooth texture as opposed to one that's highly textured.

But it seems that even without water, the paint goes on too thin and leaves streaks, making me have to do two or three coats to cover. Then of course I lose the smooth texture.

It was a bit better on canvas, but still not great. What can i do to achieve my smooth look but still cover quickly? or can i?

2. I think i need to varnish... what do you folks suggest? and then how soon after i finish the painting should i cover it. I assume i should be using the acrylic varnish.

Also what do you prefer, gloss, semi or matte and why?

Leslie Pz
08-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Arlene, this is excellent. I love the "texture", it adds realism (but that's JMHO)

As for the Varnish. I use Grumbacher's varnish. I suggest you apply only after it's dried for about 3-5 days (depending on the humidy). I have had a BAD experience and believe me, I wait longer than that!!!

Have you tried Liquitex in the tubes? I find that those paints tend to be thick and spread pretty easily.

Although I am no expert, I hope I was helpful!

Lady Carol
08-11-2003, 11:15 PM
If you are after colors that blend without the texture, then Liquitex in the tubes are not for you. I have them and I hate them essentially as they require several coats and it is difficult to get that blended look. There is a sticky at the top of the page which goes into paint types, etc. Have you looked there for info?

Incidentally, I love the pansy.

arlene
08-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Lol lady carol...I moderate on the cp forum and i'm constantly telling folks to look in the hall of fame on that forum...you'd think i'd take my own advice?.................................................NOOOOOOOO of course not...I'm headed there now.

thank you leslie and Carol. Leslie the texture doesn't bother me much, but flowers are usually velvety smooth...

arlene
08-12-2003, 12:06 AM
I checked the stickies and it didn't answer my question about paint...just gave a list of brands the folks here like...i also checked the reviews...not enough info to tell me what to do.

CarlyHardy
08-12-2003, 12:36 AM
When I use the liquid acrylic, I'll put out a blob of gesso on my palette. I pick up a bit of gesso and then my paint...it goes on looking lighter but when it dries its darker because the gesso gets more transparent as it dries. This way for light colors you might only need one coat...for darker colors the streaking won't be so bad for the first coat and then you can add new layers. To get really dark, try alternating layers of colors like...deep violet and thalo green.

Because the liquid acrylic is more transparent, its great for layering. You might like to use traditional tube colors for your flat layer...then use the liquid for more transparent layers. That would give you more of the glow that florals look so good with.

Unless you paint really heavy with acrylics, they have a tendency to flatten out because of their plastic nature.

I use spray varnish. Krylon Crystal Clear for final varnishes in satin or semi-gloss for small paintings. For a larger painting (over 16x20, I'll use a liquid varnish by Liquitex in satin finish). To me the high gloss finishes make a painting look sort of like 'craft' paintings.
carly

arlene
08-12-2003, 01:02 PM
thanks carly!

snuffy
08-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Arlene -
The Liquitex jar paints seem to have that problem. Since gesso has already been mentioned, you can also mix various grays to add to the covering power. Most of my tube paints are either Golden or W&N. I use Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid to smooth the paint and hold it open a little longer for working. The varnish I use is Golden MS varnish w/ UV inhibitor.
btw, the pansy is great.

SabZero
08-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Arlene, "streaks" cna happen if you leave too much water in your brush.
For getting a smooth texture, try a flow improver, also called flow extender. I heard that some people just drop a drop of dish washing detergent into their water for the same effect...

arlene
08-13-2003, 03:08 AM
thanks folks i'll try the suggestions