PDA

View Full Version : Please advise - Gare Brush Pastels

Classical Vince
08-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi There. A coworker of mine gave me a set of "Soft Touch" Pastels made by Gare Inc.

They are small, thin squares of pastel that are made to be applied with a brush. I am very very new to using pastels so I am wondering how to use these. Underpainting? Good for details only?

***Is there an appropriate medium to use? I have read that isopropyl alcohol works.

***Anyone have any experience with this brand or technique?

I am hoping to do some pastel painting during a trip to Kauai later this month.

THANK YOU!

Mo.
08-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Hi Vince... can't say I've heard of this brand before.. but then I'm British, so.:):rolleyes: .. But the way you describe them and the fact they have to be applied with a brush, I would think they are very soft and powdery... there are some brilliant soft pastel artists here, e.g Gaka and Crumby who work applying the pastels with folded piece of tissue paper, so the brush method could be similar..... do you crumble the pastel and then dip the brush into the powder, or roll the brush over the pastel?

As for underpainting... in the past I have used a watercolour underpainting then applied the pastels over... alcohol yes can be used to apply pastles..... rd2ruin has used this method before, Ipersonally havn't so can't help there.....sorry not much use am I.:D....but then I'm now into oil pastels... have you tried those?

Sorry can't help more on this... maybe some others will be able to.

Cheers,
Mo.:)

BruceF
08-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Looks like these are aimed at ceramics work from their website http://www.gare.com

Dyin
08-11-2003, 08:55 PM
huh...never knew they made pastel for pottery...read the directions for it...maybe you'll be teaching us something! You really should check out Gaka and crumbedbrains work...Gaka has a how to on the front page of this forum...hope you'll post what you do!!!!

Classical Vince
08-11-2003, 09:02 PM
duh, thanks bruce. The labels looked kinda outdated so I didnt try a web search. <feeling ignorant now!> although they are for pottery, I believe the pigments are the same but who knows about the binder. I would hate to do something I am proud of and have it decay...

Mo. Will do...thanks for the info, and you were more help than you think. This site is great!

dyin - thanks for the references...gonna check em out. My coworker said she used them on pottery to do soft blends that you are unable to do with glazes.

fugitive
11-21-2003, 03:00 AM
If they are for pottery, they'll last 4000 years if you bake them on at 2000 degrees F, but of course your paper will go at 450 F.:cat: