PDA

View Full Version : WIP OP Blue Pitcher

Greeble
08-11-2003, 07:39 PM
I bought a stoneware pitcher at target.

I put it on a white tea towel.

(the tea towel needs a *lot* of work. Twards the end I just threw my hands up and said something inapropirate for the WC!)

the camera put some stripes in that dont belong. The background is just a tan tshirt.

Jen

Mo.
08-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Well Jen... first of all Kudos to you for setting up the still life and painting from life... Well done on that score alone.... Why are you holding up your hands in despair... this is coming on really great.....looks very much like an oil painting rather than OP's........

okay... I think you need to ground your jug ..it appears to be floating on the towel, I suggest making the area beneath the jug flat first of all.......think about where you light source is coming from then concentrate on the highlights and shadows....... introducing some burnt orange colours in the shadows to give them depth...i.e. wherever you have shadows put some strokes of this colour then see how those shadows deepen and how the blue will come forward ... with your background also scumble some colour there some peachy colours and creams...the grey is a little drab... you are looking to bring that lovely jug forward and complement the colour....Don't give up yet... it's going great.

Cheers,
Mo.:)

Greeble
08-11-2003, 08:13 PM
oooh thank you! I will go do that!

Jen
<<running off to start painting again>>

Kathryn Wilson
08-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Greeble: This is coming along very nicely - you seem to have a talent for doing pottery! OP's are a new medium and take awhile to get used to so don't give up - work on the things Mo suggested and see what you think.

:D

Dyin
08-11-2003, 08:50 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Yay...from life too!!! Good ideas from Mo...be sure and post an update...you're doing great!!!

MKathleen
08-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi Jen:
Looks like everyone is in your cornor cheering you on, and I've added myself also!:D As they say "nothing ventured, nothing gained". By setting up your still life you have started a wonderful teaching/learning tool. Be kind to yourself first of all and give your self lots of credit for this still life.
Continue to work-- Mo has given you some really good things to improve what you have begun.
Best,
Kathy:)

angeline
08-12-2003, 02:47 AM
This is a really good start.......don't give up on it.

Greeble
08-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Thanks everyone :D

No danger of my giving up on a painting though. I usually throw my hands up in disgust and walk off at least ONCE during the process. Three or four times during a class. I have to walk away and see it from a distance after a bit.

Here is what I did last night.

Dyin
08-12-2003, 09:29 AM
It's coming along nice, Jen! Love the color of that vase...

Kathryn Wilson
08-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Yep, you've got it so it looks like it is seated on the tea towel and developing the blues - keep going!

Deborah Secor
08-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Jen, I surely understand your throwing up your hands at least once during the course of a painting. There seems to be some point in almost every painting I do where I hate it. Kitty Wallis calls it "the ugly stage," which seems accurate. Sometimes it's early on, sometimes later--there isn't a set time. But most often I choose to work through it.

Keep at it--this is worth your time and concentration!