PDA

View Full Version : My method and materials

Brian Barton
08-11-2003, 05:28 PM
WOW........ Such a lot of unexpected interest and kind comments with lots of How and What questions.

I use Rowney Soft Pastels and CarbOthello Pastel pencils on a tinted velour paper purchased from an Art Supplier here in the UK.
It is a paper with a velvet coating. There are several different manufacturers you must pick the one that suits you best.
My aim when I start to paint, usually from a photo, is to render a really accurate enlarged drawing on to the paper. This can be done in several ways, I now use a projector. This is much quicker and more accurate than other methods or freehand. I draw the picture with a sharpened Mid Brown Pastel Pencil, on a light tinted paper, usually Brown. Concentrate on the areas of importance. If its a portrait, the eyes nose and mouth MUST be
very accurate. I then create an under- painting with the same pencil, lightly shading the areas to create form and expression.
This is going to be the basis for your picture. How well you are able to color your drawing is down to your artistic ability. I have boxes of different shades of pastels and pencils which must be used to blend and recreate as lifelike as possible the subject you are copying.
Well there it is, nothing to write home about as they say. Hope it is of some help.
I am attaching a portrait I painted many years ago, on the smooth side of ordinary pastel paper.
Brian.

PCool
08-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Nice work.

Mo.
08-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Thankyou Brian for sharing your working methods with us.....When I used soft pastels I also used Winsor & Newton's and Carbethello... never used a projector though. :D... .... sounds like a handy tool to have. :D
cheers,
Mo.:)

Dyin
08-11-2003, 08:48 PM
this is nice...I've always wanted to use a projector for doing bikes and stuff...they take countless hours to get right otherwise...I've proved I can draw it so why waste all that time when I could be painting it??? This is a nice portrait, I like how you made the nose jewelry unobtrusive...great job!

angeline
08-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Which supplier do you get your paper from? would like to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

Brian Barton
08-12-2003, 08:40 AM
Hi Hayley,
I seem to have lost my catalog.
Let you know when I find it.
Brian.:(