PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Thread 11th -16th Aug.

Mo.
08-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Ready for another folks?... Here it is, let's see what you come up with this week...more office equipment, some scenics... some flowers....whatever you choose.....maybe a self portrait by ...you know who..:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of you know now what this thread is all about but for the benefit of those who are visiting for the first time:-

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off......stop, and post it here...

The idea behind the set times is so that you learn eye and hand co-ordination, be able to paint what you see without being bogged down by detail and therefore improving your skills.

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between....... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them. It's great fun so do join in.

Here's the link to last weeks quickies.:-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123692

Craig Houghton
08-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Last night I decided to give my girlfriend's bird, Harley, a try. I meant to do a painting as a gift for her, but it ended up as more of a pastel drawing. The bird is a rarer sort of albino cockatoo without much coloration. So, I kept the background drab to keep it from distracting -- I wanted the colors I did give him to stand out more. I'm worried this makes the whole thing too washed-out though. Also, I played up the color on his feet/talons since it's almost the only splash of color on his body, and I liked the claws (he's a cute bird, but he has really out-of place talons fer a little guy).

Although I originally planned on spending more time with this. After blocking in the lights and darks I found myself adding a few details and calling this more or less done after about 45 minutes.

45 minutes - rembrandts on bluish gray colourfix primer - 9x12

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2003/21273-harley_bird.JPG

suggestions are very welcome

-Craig

angeline
08-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Craig this is lovely.......you have caught the pose really well!
Just a thought(ignore it if you like) would a touch of a comlimentary colour in the backgreound help make the subject pop?........you have lilac type colours in there....and i think the comlimentary is yellow.
Like it as it is too.

Vegas Art Guy
08-11-2003, 07:11 PM
That looks really good for 45 minutes. Did someone mention drawing office supplies??? :D :evil: :D Who me? :angel: And I was thinking of drawing more lunch stuff...

Mo.
08-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Craig do you mean cockatiel? As I recognise that look there.... it's just like my Macky looks.:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2003/5154-macky_small.jpg

You've captured the cheeky nature of the bird marvellously well.:)

Greg... are we looking forward to a still life of say apples or pears or a yoghurt, or a sarnie......or maybe fish& chips :D::D:

Dyin
08-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Craig...love what you did with this...and in 45 minutes...I am SO jealous...you caught the look perfectly! I like it as is...hope you're still giving it to your sweetie!

Anodyne
08-11-2003, 10:37 PM
This is wonderful you really caught Harley's face. Just to clear up a few things :angel: He is a white faced cockatiel and his talons do need a manicure. I can't wait to hang this up probably on the wall above his cage.

-Sonia =^.^=

Deborah Secor
08-12-2003, 12:08 PM
"Cheeky" is the perfect description of cockatiels... hee hee.

Craig, just a touch more light in his eye (the lack of which may just be the fault of the photograph, but in case not...) would make me engage with him more. His gesture invites me to get to know him, maybe invite him to hop over here and talk to me. He's wonderful.

Vegas Art Guy
08-12-2003, 01:45 PM
No fish and chips here, I'll see what I can come up with from what I brought, it's been a lousy day so far... @#(%@&^$% collating machine...:(

Dyin
08-12-2003, 02:37 PM
hmmm...here's a loaded question...what's a collating machine and...what's it look like???:evil: :p hope it starts co-operating lol!

Vegas Art Guy
08-12-2003, 03:50 PM
What the machine is SUPPOSED to do is to take individual sheets (6 is this case) put them in order and then send them to a machine that folds them neatly so I can tab and address them. The problem is that it does not want to send them to the folder... grrrr so now I am just collating them and feeding the folder manually...:mad: Oh, well I saved my banana for a possible sketch later today...

Deborah Secor
08-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Vegas, in lieu of your self-portrait, how about your hand feeding the machine? It conjures images for me! Just a thought...

Hope to have something to post here myself soon, too.

Craig Houghton
08-12-2003, 11:39 PM
Thank you everyone!

angeline -- I ended up too afraid to go back and touch it up, but I probably should have put some low intensity yellows in the background -- very good suggestion

mo - I can't believe I forgot it was a cockatiel :) Yup, yer darn right, and I'm not sure what it means exactly, but they certainly do look cheeky! btw, i remember seeing that pic of macky from a while back -- such a good pose :)i think he likes the limelight.

dyin - many thanks, and yup, I delivered it over to her this evening :)

dee_artist - many thanks -- there;s a bit more highlight in the original, but it could do with a tad more -- I agree that he's posturing in a really curious / engaging manner and the twinkle would add some charm and invitation -- many thanks

anodyne -- can't believe I called your harley a cockatoo -- he's far too cheeky for that :) (hey, just because I'm unsure what it means doesn';t mean I can';t throw around the term ;) ). I'm thrilled you like it, thank you love.

Thanks everyone

now I'm going to finally go look up the word cheeky (though I've heard the term cheeky-monkey on sat night live :P )

-Craig

nougat
08-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Craig!!! I love your girl's lovely bird!!! Well done you really captured that look that these birds have!!

HEY there's a doggie thread and a kitty thread so why not start a birdie thread???!!:)

come on Vegas!! We're still waiting for the portrait!!

nadine

Mo.
08-13-2003, 05:30 PM
mo - I can't believe I forgot it was a cockatiel Yup, yer darn right, and I'm not sure what it means exactly, but they certainly do look cheeky! btw, i remember seeing that pic of macky from a while back -- such a good pose i think he likes the limelight

:D Craig.... don't they alll:D

Mo.
08-13-2003, 07:55 PM
Good grief!! Only one post this week, and the week is half gone.....:eek: ... come on folks ....post those quickies here, let's see what you can do... so far Craig you hold all the gold stars. for your super quickie :D... whose next?... don't want this thread to die this week.... I'm sure you all have a quick sketch that you've done on the spur of the moment, so post it here.... don't be shy. :D

Greg... where's your lunch, and what's more where's your pic ..Hmmmm??

Mo.:)

nougat
08-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Hi all!!!

Are we all feeling the heat???

Come on get those pastels out!!!

Here's mine. He's the male half of my african statues. Also the reason I don't drraw the same thing twice...I get bored and it shows!!!:o

nadine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2003/15364-africa2.jpg

Craig Houghton
08-14-2003, 01:46 PM
nadine - love the authoritarian highlights -- it'll make perfect companion to the other half.

everyone else - c'mon ;) I actually have stuff I'll be posting when I get back to my home pc -- I've been away at my gf's w/ pastels but no place to plug in my digicam -- try to beat me to it :)

-Craig

Craig Houghton
08-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Ok, back home :)

Here's another hour spent. Although this is small, it took a while because I first dotted in the proportions by using the thumb-against-a-pencil technique to get the proportions correct. Actually, I used a brush with maskng tape on the handle and a bit of charcoal to notch the brush while I looked past it at the subject, but the principle is the same.

60 minutes 5x7 on colourfix primed bristol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2003/21273-suspended_grape.JPG

Here's the target grapes btw. Also, I was away from home at the time, so that's a pic of my portable pastel kit in case yer wondering.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2003/21273-DSC04835.JPG

-Craig

Dyin
08-14-2003, 03:23 PM
very organized little box!!! How many grapes would there have been if you weren't munching on them??? :p I wouldn't be able to resist...they look luscious...nice job and exactly measured looking...I mean they look just right lol!

Nadine ( I want to call you Noogie all the time lol!) boy you should frame these two and hang them side by side...they have a neat look about them, no matter how you think of it as looking boring cuz you were bored...NOT!

I think Mo started a new weekly thread??? I can't do the fast stuff, but enjoy watching all of you go!

Vegas Art Guy
08-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Nice drawings all, been crazy busy here in Vegas this week, I'm trying Mo, I'm trying! :D :D

nougat
08-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Craig these grapes look lovely and delicious!!!

MO STARTED ANOTHER WEEKLY THREAD??? we haven't finished this one yet!!!I'll go and ahve a look now....

That's the trouble with the tinyheads and user names!! We get called all sorts of funny stuff and give the wrong impression perhaps about ourselves... I'm not at all a dragon (old tinyhead) but quite a softy with a terrible sweet tooth!!

:D

I was so pleased to find the 'fun' thread with all the WC-ers !!! It gave me the courage to post my pic and use it as my tinyhead too!!

nadine nougat noogie n......

Dyin
08-14-2003, 05:00 PM
nah...looked, guess she didn't, think it was her post on this one that made me think it was another...duh...sorry for the freak out...not much sleep last nite lol! Hey, I like dragons...I'm a dragon lady...born Chinese year of the dragon....

Mo.
08-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Nadine... a perfect partner for the other one so glad you did this... just think how they will look side by side.. the actual statues must be very attractive pieces.... wish I had them.:)

Craig... super grapes... fess up , you have been nibbling away on them:D.....the shadows are showing up black for me hope they aren't... probably my monitor... I like the way you've painted the stalks, they are very 3D

Sue..... wake up girl. TSk Tsk! :D

Mo.
08-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Greg.. relax ... no one is pushing you really. :D

Hey I did one that qualifies for this thread, took 45 mins, but put it in a seperate thread... Shady Lady...

Mo.:)

Craig Houghton
08-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone.

I admit it, I ate the grapes before and after. As soon as I finished I gobbled them up, and they were good.

Mo, here's a shadow shot. There's no black, but a brand new unison dark blue, some raw umber type brown and some lighter red / magenta tones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2003/21273-shadow_pic.JPG

Thanks again everyone,
Craig

Dyin
08-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Oooh...that up close shot is very sexy...ok, maybe I need a life....

Kathryn Wilson
08-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Hi Craig: The grapes look great. In your shot of your portable pastel case, I spied some Unisons - how do you like? I'm getting two boxes I bought off ebay and can't wait to see what they are like. I have one red one is very, very soft.

Craig Houghton
08-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Oooh...that up close shot is very sexy...ok, maybe I need a life....

I should have attached the wetcanvas 'nude' icon to the post :)

Originally posted by kyle
Hi Craig: The grapes look great. In your shot of your portable pastel case, I spied some Unisons - how do you like? I'm getting two boxes I bought off ebay and can't wait to see what they are like. I have one red one is very, very soft.

I own the starter 1-18 set, and the Darks 1-18 set. I enjoy them. I like the consistent! softness/texture. There isn't that much variation in softness or consistency between pigments, and that's terrific.

I don't mean to say I prefer their texture/softness/consistency -- it's just the most consistent. So that you know what I mean exactly: In my opinion, Unisons are magically consistent, schmincke have the most buttery idyllic texture for painterly effects, and sennelier's line has the most outstanding colors.

I find that the unisons are powdery soft, but I prefer the creamy soft of schmincke (it builds little textured piles of pastel quite nicely).

Also, unisons shape makes it a little tougher to break off sections of pastel -- they do hold nicely though, but I prefer using bits and pieces of pastels.

Hope that helps,
Craig.

Dyin
08-15-2003, 12:12 AM
:D :D :D

Deborah Secor
08-15-2003, 11:36 AM
I would have agreed with you on the pastels Craig right up until I tried the Great Americans... Now I think they are the creamiest--they almost have a silken powderiness that seems like talcum in butter (not appetizing, but think of texture, not taste!)

Sennelier's colors are rich but in my part of the world, land of 5% humidity, they crumble away to dust upon being unwrapped. I like the idea you gave of using them like little watercolors (in another thread, I think) so that at least I can get my money's worth when this happens. One 'new formula' set I bought had a crust on the outside of the pastels that rendered them virtually useless, hard and nasty, scratching my sandpaper!

I think some of GAs colors are absolutely habit forming. The names they have are a lot of fun too. (Burnt Reynolds.)

Unisons are just terrrific, not as soft as GAs or Schminckes, though. I can't do without their A-43 green--it's a wonderful dark, dark blue green. Do you have any favorite colors in the Unisons, you know, the ones you can't do without now?

Just rambling here...
:rolleyes:

Kathryn Wilson
08-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi Dee: I would like to try a few sticks of the GAs - are there some favorites that you might use in a SW landscape??

I am gathering supplies together for my trip to Moab, UT (and I've been told there is no art store there) and would like some indespensible colors - LOL.

Mo.
08-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the close shot Craig.... I can see the colours there now...... BTW... how are you getting on with your hand made pastels?.... I don't use soft pastels much now, been thinking of selling them off...but something inside won't let me :D