PDA

View Full Version : stand oil

wanderfast
07-07-2000, 06:28 PM
What is stand oil exactly?

colinbarclay
07-07-2000, 09:07 PM
Hi Wander,
Stand oil is linseed thats been heated without exposing it to oxygen ( otherwise it's 'boiled linseed' - which you dont want to use ) . Supposedly it dries faster than just linseed but I've had bad luck wi that aspect . It's a leveling agent - you wont see much of a brushstroke which I guess is why sign painters use it a lot . You can get some neat effects with it by painting thinner paint back into it - kinda Vermeery,
but it makes a real heavy enamel-like finish thats really hard to paint anything else on top of . If you like the sound of all this you might wanna try Venice turps , which does all the same kinds of things except it dries faster .
Hope that helps ,
Colin

[This message has been edited by colinbarclay (edited July 07, 2000).]

Mario
05-13-2001, 07:49 AM
I have just started using a mixture of stand oil and turpenoid, which a teacher in a workshop here was using in her own painting. I have used it in about four or five paintings so far and it seems OK to me. I was just wondering if others have had experience with stand oil and how it performed for them. I am using it as a substitute for Liquin which I find very expensive. thanks

------------------
Painting the light reflecting from an object is different than painting the object

Verdaccio
05-13-2001, 10:46 AM
Stand oil is sun or heat thickened Linseed Oil. It is quite thick - viscosity of thin honey. If used in painting, it will not darken over time the way that pure linseed will. It also helps in the formation of a more enamel-like surface than straight linseed. I use it as one of the main ingredients in my medium.

------------------
Michael Georges
www.fineportraitsinoil.com (http://www.fineportraitsinoil.com)

Leopoldo1
05-13-2001, 11:21 AM
Colin is correct by saying that stand oil is made by heating linseed oil usually in a vacuum by not exposing it to oxygen molecules. Sun thicken linseed oil is just that, thickened in the sun! I use stand oil at times with resin ingredients like copal, mastic, etc. and prefer to use it in combinations with resins rather than by itself. It should be well thinned. If used properly it has a number of good qualities. S/O is less yellowing, strengthens your paint and keeps resins flexible. Used thickly, it will dry poorly (sticky/gummy)and wrinkle. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/redface.gifL

------------------
"Art is ever changing. I too find myself in that momentum of change, exploring my successes and failures. Rather remaining stagnant and uninspired, I am complelled to continue to re-invent myself."....L

[This message has been edited by Leopoldo (edited May 13, 2001).]

Mario
05-13-2001, 08:56 PM
I am intrigued by Leopolds reference to using stand oil "correctly" and "poorly"...would you please expand on that as I have a couple paintings that seem to be headed towards the "poorly" caused results (sticky and wrinkly)....I use 50% stand oil and 50% turpenoid...how would this mixture be best used and not used? many thanks

------------------
Painting the light reflecting from an object is different than painting the object

Leopoldo1
05-13-2001, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Mario:
....I use 50% stand oil and 50% turpenoid...how would this mixture be best used and not used? many thanks

Keep any medium to a minimum, what ever your preference might be. Any food recipe taste wonderfully with just the right amount of spices, right, but over power it and you are in trouble. If your choice is S/O add about 20% no more, even a little less, dilute with thinner( your preference) and you should be just fine. Remember Sargent used turps only! I primarily prefer my pigments swimming in linseed oil as opposed to poppy or walnut oil and then enhanced with a medium or thinned with turps if necessary. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/redface.gifL

------------------
"Art is ever changing. I too find myself in that momentum of change, exploring my successes and failures. Rather remaining stagnant and uninspired, I am complelled to continue to re-invent myself."....L