PDA

View Full Version : Rocky waterfall. Water colour

Debzy
09-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Trying some different styles and blocked this in last night. Any advice or critique welcome. This is the block in stage. 1 hour. Cheers Debs. =))

Andrewcody
09-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Looking good for an hour Debs
I am getting the feel of it already
Regards
Andrew

Yorky
09-10-2012, 02:24 AM
A great start. Obviously you will eliminate the lines in the falls.

Doug

maryinasia
09-10-2012, 03:37 AM
looking forward to seeing the next steps! great start

Trumper
09-10-2012, 05:15 AM
:eek: Blimey you are non stop ,a one woman painting machine.:lol:
Look forward to seeing more W I P on it:)

Debzy
09-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks for looking Andrew, Doug, Mary and Trumper!!!! Andrew and Mary, thank you for your encouraging comments! Doug, I will be eliminating the lines in the waterfall, hoping just to show a shadow of the rock behind peeking through. Have to work out how to do that though! :confused: Trumper, Yes I have been doing a few recently, due to being home unwell so making use of the time and doing what makes me feel good! :D There are several half finished at present, just keep wanting to start more.:clap: They will all get finished soon, It's good having a few on the boil at a time. Each one is quite different and requires different techniques and depends on my mood at the time as to what to attend to =)) Finally on the mend now though, so progress will be slower due to going back to work. Glad to be going back though, dollars are very low! :crossfingers: Much better to feel well and paint in between shifts!!!! :thumbsup: Cheers y'all =)) Debs. ;)

Wahsuzy
09-10-2012, 07:41 AM
You did THAT in an hr?! WOW!!! Another great start:)

Debzy
09-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks Suzy! Yes, it was a quick start, practicing trying to get blocking in fast so it doesn't get overworked. Just aiming to get shapes and colours in first. I will put in some more colour next then detail, but am trying for a more loose look? Will see what happens! Cheers and thanks, =)) Debs.

arnieb
09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Great start - looking forward to next update. Arnie

Revilo
09-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Great start, Debzy! Looser is looking good. Lots of opportunity for play of light in this one. Will the waterfall be the star?

Debzy
09-11-2012, 02:12 PM
LOL. Yes, I think the waterfall will be the star! I am looking forward to working on this more, I am enjoying trying different techniques and keeping it less fussy I hope? Thanks Revilo, should get back to it in a day or two. I will post the next stage as soon as I can. Cheers =)) Debs.

Debzy
09-15-2012, 10:26 AM
This is stage 2 of the waterfall. Hope to get stage 3 finished soon. :thumbsup: =)) Cheers. Debs.

maryinasia
09-15-2012, 10:36 AM
some lovely depth coming into play

Debzy
09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
I think this is almost finished. Just a few tweaks here and there. Any critique, advice, or comments in general are appreciated =)) Debs.

Yorky
09-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Maybe scratch out a few splashes at the bottom of the falls?

Doug

Debzy
09-15-2012, 01:23 PM
great idea Doug, thank you! Also I have to soften the very edge of the falls, it looks too solid on the right hand side. Also, I just noticed I have a gap in the water flow on the left side =)) Thank you so much Doug. Cheers Debs. =))

maryinasia
09-16-2012, 03:01 AM
love the sunlit leaves

Trumper
09-16-2012, 05:39 AM
:) Looks very nice but the waterfall looks very solid [which it may well be ] maybe some smaller trickles feeding off or slight glimpses of the background [well the colour] behind the water.
A very difficult subject but as ever well done :)

Debzy
09-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks Mary and Trumper. Yes it was a bit tricky... and still is! I think I will try to add some mist or spray from the waterfall and a bit of splash.
do you think the colours are too cool? Should I add some warmer tones? I will post the reference and any advice is welcome. I will also re post my stage 3 paiting for easy reference. =)) Cheers =)) Debs.

maryinasia
09-16-2012, 09:31 AM
gorgeous.

hmm, perhaps make the waterfall more transparent? In the ref. photo, the water is the most opaque/white at the top of the waterfall and when it touches the water. In other places, the background shows through more.

overall, personally I would add more cool tones to contrast the sunlit areas :)

Trumper
09-17-2012, 04:15 AM
:) Hi Deb, in the photo the width of the waterfall starts narrow at the top,fans out and thins out as it falls,yours is pretty much the same from top to bottom.
I would also like to see some more darks added around the rocks and the back of the waterfall.:thumbsup:

Debzy
09-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Stage 4. Arggghhh..... this is not an easy one! :eek: Close to discarding it at this point. The rock behind the waterfall is much darker than it shows on the photo, it was difficult to get a photo without the paint reflecting on the paint. It is very dark in fact all the way up through the middle of the painting. =)) Debs.

maryinasia
09-17-2012, 09:19 AM
great! the waterfall looks so much better, and I'm loving the darks in the pool.

have you thought of adding a bit more movement where the waterfall hits the water?

Yorky
09-17-2012, 09:21 AM
A big improvement.

Doug

Trumper
09-17-2012, 04:00 PM
A big improvement.

Doug
:thumbsup: Agreed,that is a big improvement.

TDCT
09-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Agreed^2. Waterfall looks much, much better.

Debzy
09-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Well, I darkened some more, added a bit of splash but not too much, I think it is pretty much finished. What do you think? Anything more to change??? =)) Cheers Debs. :crossfingers:

Trumper
09-18-2012, 03:32 AM
:) Looking really good now but is there anyway you can soften the edges of the waterfall both internally and the outside lines,just seems abit solid still ,but another huge improvement.

Debzy
09-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Yes thanks Trumper, I can try.It just seemed every time I softened them, I lost the dark behind the water. I will try again, thanks so much for your suggestion. I was afraid someone might say that, it looks a bit like someone turned a tap on doesn't it =)) !!!!! Cheers =)) Debs.

maryinasia
09-18-2012, 11:18 AM
It's OK to lose some of the dark behind the water. This is very, very beautiful, by the way.

Debzy
09-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Thank you Mary, thank you very much. I have tried to soften the waterfall, I have lost some of the darks behind and I still don't feel happy with it, it just wont do the right thing for me. I think I will move on to something else now and call this a learning experience. I can't do any more to the waterfall, I have been over and over it so many times, I keep hitting a brick wall... so to speak =)) Thank you for all your help, not all paintings turn out. I will attempt this one again some time when I have mastered some skills with painting a waterfall !!! =)) CHEERS DEBS.

maryinasia
09-19-2012, 07:22 AM
this painting is a success!

Debzy
09-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Awww thank you Mary, you are so kind and sweet. I will try it again sometime though, I think I can improve it, but not on this one. I will keep it and frame it, I still enjoyed the challenge and learnt so much... what to do and what not to do. =)) Thanks so much for all your encouragement and support. xxx Debs. =))

Finally painting
09-23-2012, 06:53 PM
REALLY LIKE THIS, I've never tried water color but you are inspiring me. I just posted an oil painting, I'm sooooo new at this, but I am enjoying seeing everybodies talents and am reading remarks and comments in all your works for guidance. Thank-you for sharing.

Debzy
09-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Thank you for your kind words Finally painting! I hope to see more of your work too and yes, if you decide to try watercolour, I will help all I can. I am not an expert either, we are all continuously learning, but what a great experience it is! Glad you like this painting, it was a tough one for me. Cheers and keep panting =)) Debs.

levanty
09-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Thank you for your kind words Finally painting! I hope to see more of your work too and yes, if you decide to try watercolour, I will help all I can. I am not an expert either, we are all continuously learning, but what a great experience it is! Glad you like this painting, it was a tough one for me. Cheers and keep panting =)) Debs.

May I suggest that your interpretation of this photo is quite pleasing to the eye...it is brighter, more surreal and all-in-all better than the original. I have placed them side by side although I am learning that this is not a great practice when interpreting. We need to leave room for the imagination, the 3rd eye that sees beyond the visual and into the soul. You have captured that for me dear Deb. Thank you for sharing this experience with me. May your travels be easy and pleasing! Yes I could cheers you at this moment but trust me, it's not the wine talking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2012/980793-comparison.jpg

Notice the details around the rocks? Yours are soooooo much better. and the misty colours that you've added....bravo ma chère!

Andrewcody
09-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Getting even wonderfuller.....listening to the rain at the moment, waterfalls will be running in the hills.
Glad to hear that you are on the mend.
I should be back painting, unfinished work stares at me in a very accusing manner when I walk by.
:)
Regards
Andrew

Callie917
09-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Debs, I think all the work you've done is amazing :) Stage 3 looks so good. Beautiful!

arnieb
09-28-2012, 03:48 AM
Do like this one - very peaceful.
Think Levanty has shown earlier stage - the final one has more darks which has improved it. I agree with him about the comparison - the photo is part of the inspiration to create the artwork which has additional feeling not present in the photo.
The question is more do all the objects rocks, trees water etc. read correctly - and in your painting they do.:thumbsup: Arnie

Debzy
09-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Thank you so much Andrew, Yvie, Callie and Arnie for all your encouraging words and for following my sometimes long threads. I am so humbled by all your support and kindness. Yvie thanks for going to the trouble of posting the ref next to the work, it certainly helps to see how the artistic license comes into play, I really appreciate your time to do this. As I have said many times, the kindness and enthusiasm I have found on this forum along with wonderful friendships are priceless and I feel very lucky to be a part of it. Again, bless you all and humble thanks. I have learnt so much and not only about painting. =)) Debs.

levanty
09-29-2012, 03:48 PM
To keep it short and sweet...I am more than delighted to be a part of this whole dynamic as well. Andrew, Arnie and Callie; you are wonderful souls to brush shoulders with even if only for a brief time. Many of us are falling ill. Alas, we can only do what we can do for today, "n'est-ce pas?". We are truly blessed!

Debzy
09-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Agree 100% Yvie! :angel: Fabulous group of souls on this forum. :heart: The final version of this painting was never posted on WIP, due to posting it in the open forum and making a few more changes since then. Thought I would post it now as some of you have been following the process and to show you what I changed. The rocks behind the falls have been lightened and tried to add some mistiness. Changed the arc of the water slightly and softened the whiteness. Then added sharper detail and contrast to the foreground rocks and toned down the green/yellow in the trees on the right and toned down the green up top and behind the falls. I realise this picture shows the water a bit sloping and that has been fixed now, also I have softened the white in the water to look more realistic, but don't have a photo of it yet to post. Basically, this is the finished version but with water not sloping :D :crossfingers: Cheers Debs. P.S. Andrew, I am really looking forward to you posting your work soon, Glad you are feeling better and if your painting is calling to you then best answer it :D Can't wait. :clap: :thumbsup:

Trumper
09-30-2012, 03:15 PM
:) Thats nailed it,i love the lighting in the trees on the right.Well done.

Debzy
09-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Thank you so much Gary, I appreciate your comment and encouragement! You are always very supportive and it's always good to hear from you. =)) Cheers Debs.

rossmarie
09-30-2012, 06:59 PM
That is some watercolour, my Austalian friend! Wonderful light and contrasts and displaying some great technique. If I had a hat, I'd take it off to you right now. Very well done.

Don't go away.....want to see some more from Debzy.

best wishes

Mike

Debzy
10-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Awww thanks Mike! I won't be going anywhere, I absolutely love painting and love this forum! So helpful and friendly. Can't wait to get stuck into my next one! Love your work too Mike and hats off to you too my friend, love your free style. Cheers and thanks again Mike for your encouragement, it means a lot! Cheers =)) Debs.

Wahsuzy
10-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Breathtaking....

Debzy
10-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Gee... thank you Suzy, you have made me feel very good! Such a wonderful comment. Wow. =)) Debs.

crafor
10-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Hi, Debs, that is beautiful.
Thanks for sharing, for showing your WIP, and your result.
Ella

Debzy
10-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Thank you very much Ella for your kind response. You are so sweet. I'm glad you like the final result, and I thank you for all your support and encouragement. Cheers =)) Debs.

crafor
10-03-2012, 12:47 PM
You're welcome! One day I may drag out my school set of 8 water colors, then LOOK OUT, Debs! :D
I hadn't followed along, as I started a drawing class, am signed up for another to start next week, and am working on these 5 portraits, all but one of which I'd like done by mid November to mail away.
I also have health issues, and don't know if I can do the two classes, even, the one takes a lot out of me. I feel like I'm learning something, so will keep at it if I can. They're only 8 weeks long, but last time it took over 2 days to recover from the class. I'll have 4 weeks of overlap.
Now, I have homework to do before I paint.
Ella

Debzy
10-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Ella I hope you don't overdo it, your health is important. I also know how exciting it is doing classes where you are learning so much, and its difficult to get a balance because it doesn't feel like work. Sometimes the benefit outweighs the discomfort. When I have been recently sick, I paint to keep my mind active and because I love it. My family go crook on me and say "you should be resting, not painting all night", but sometimes it's the best thing for me! So I truly know where you are coming from. I still have what they call subacute Thyroiditis, normally lasts 3-4 weeks, but I've had it 3 months and now on top of that I have Glandular fever. It's been awful, just can't get over it all, go back to work for a day or two, then home in bed again. Its driving me crazy because normally I'm a very active, healthy person who is always busy doing something and on the go and I've been knocked completely flat. Anyway, don't want to harp on that, I do hope you try water colour soon. I love it most of all because the amazing effects you can play with are so much fun. The way the colours react with each other and the movement of the water can be very exciting and interesting. You need to play a lot with them and not expect anything, just see what happens. That is how you learn to control them (a bit). Playing with their effects like exercises on scraps of watercolour paper is the best part, then applying them to a proper study can be scary, but you can get effects happen that are surprises but look amazing! I do hope you give it a go, you may be very pleasantly surprised Ella! Look after yourself my friend and get well soon. Good luck with your drawing classes and try not to overdo it. You have come along so well, quite amazing in fact! Loving your threads and looking forward to more. Cheers and best wishes =)) Debs.

levanty
10-04-2012, 12:10 AM
YES...THIS IS PERFECT! :clap:

Debzy
10-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Yvie.... You are really so sweet, thank you so much, I have a big smile on my face. :D Awwww ..... So good to get such wonderful support. :clap: How lucky I am. xxx Debs. :heart: