PDA

View Full Version : Final warning!!

Mo.
08-10-2003, 07:34 PM
This was painted using Oil pastels on Lana paper..... using several different ref pics, which I combined using Photoshop to create the scene here... the male swan is shooing away the mallards from his food source...some chicken corn ...which I gave him in order to get the photos... size 24" X 9"

Just a few final touches needed and it's done.... taken with a flash at night so quality is poor...I'll try again tomorrow for a daylight pic.

This has taken me several days to complete, I was rather hoping to finish another one I have on the go today also....tomorrow maybe..... The heat beat me today. :)

Your comments very welcome.

cheers,
Mo.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2003/5154-final_warning01.jpg

Dyin
08-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Yo, Dundy! wish it was bigger so I could see the details...you seem to have an affinity for swans! I can't see the nuances I know are in the feathers:( but you do white beautifully. I love the water too...but my favorite thing I keep coming back to is the female...she's so fragile sitting there...the male is a male...brash and strong and defending his mate...ducks are ducks, more concerned with their own business...but she makes this for me...even if she's not the focal point....I like the size you did this in too...will look nice on a gallery wall hint hint...;)

Kathryn Wilson
08-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Good one Mo! Love the water - I can see all kinds of color in there.

Let Muffy have her details!

Luvy
08-10-2003, 08:15 PM
Mo Bigger Yep Bigger Looks good from what I can see. (getting out manifying glass) LOL That Swan has attitude *S* Just love this. Guess I'm going to have to try these oil pastels. I don't have any

Mo.
08-10-2003, 08:16 PM
Sue.. thanks for looking... but must put you right here.... it's a cygnet.... not the female... these swans are in my local park.... the female was stoned by thugs and taken away to a sanctuary.. originally there were three cygnets, two died, and now it's just the male /cob and this little baby.. who is btw much larger now.... as I've invited some top nobs from the council to my exhibition, I wanted to paint a little local scenario.... to highlight what happens at the park.... I appreciate also that the painting would look better without the cygnet there, but it's a story, true one at that..... albeit the composition isn't that wonderful,.... the pic is poor I know, but it is 2 feet long and I had difficulty fitting it into the viewer to get detail, then once down sized of course a lot is lost, I'll try again tomorow and get some closer shots... thanks for looking. :) Appreciated.:)

Mo.
08-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Kat, Luvy.. thanks so much... guess we cross posted... this was as large as the uploader would allow :(... sorry.. but I can post in two halves tomorrow okay?

Kat... as for detail... I wasn't striving too much for that here wanted a looser look.. yeah leave the deatil to Muff.:)

Luvy... you would love the OP's as you've painted with oil paints.. I think you'd like them very much... give them a try. :)

Dyin
08-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Mo...but I love the cygnet (sure make it hard for me to type) and think it adds tons to the story...that's what I was trying to say...it gave me a story...but I'm dumb about swans...I remember you telling us about the female, so sad. Anyways looking forward to some closeups...and now you've done it...this Muffy thing is spreading....all is fair DUNDY.....:evil: :D

meowmeow
08-10-2003, 10:00 PM
What a wonderful painting, Mo! It is fantastic that you were able to get this photo yourself and then do such a terrific painting of it. I am truly impressed.
The painting is great and tells a wonderful story. You did a fabulous job!

Sandy

MKathleen
08-11-2003, 12:45 AM
Hi Mo:
Sounds like you have invested a lot of time here--I really like your work on this one. Nice rich colors--kinda hard to see the ducks, but colors so well rendered it really doesn't matter.
What brand of camera do you have?
Best,
Kathy:)

nougat
08-11-2003, 09:48 AM
This is a lovely lovely painting and story Mo well done!

nadine

angeline
08-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Mo this is wonderfull! look forward to seeing close-ups.
You are going to knock their socks off at this show! :clap: :clap:

Mo.
08-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Thanks so much everyone what lovely people you are. :)

As the painting is so long, I had to photo it in two parts, hopefully you can see better now, still some loss of detail here though.
Colours are as near as true as I can get here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2003/5154-final_01.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2003/5154-final02.jpg

cheers,
Mo.:)

Dyin
08-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks! Knew there would be lovely color in the swan...a couple comments...the swan's feet...think that a little shadowing color on the far side of the web would set them back and flatten them a bit and maybe the foreground duck's feet should not be the same tone as the swan's beak, they do tend to draw my attention away from the swan...