PDA

View Full Version : Daily scumble 11 August

flower
08-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone,

Its so hot here that i´m still up, wanted to answer to the 10th August and then realised its the 11th here, so thought i´d start the next topic, hope thats ok with you guys..........................boy is it hot here in Germany over 40 degrees and no let up, we´ve had forest fires etc. not so bad as in France but everyone is worried cos we´ve had no rain for a long time,

miss taking part but i just can´t pick up a pastell cos its TOO TOO HOT.........................can´t wait for everything to get back to normal, happy summer to everyone and happy painting to you Mo, it must be hard at the moment with a heatwave there too, roll on end of the summer,

no i mean that really, i think we might have an indian summer,

goodnight from me and goodmorning to you all

Artaholic
08-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Patrica, it is hot here too, in most places any way. I don't know what your fourty degrees means in our temps but it has been in the 80's and 90's here and we are usually cooler than that!! Havent picked up my pastels either still looking at unfinished work and trying to nag myself into working:D :D

Gerry

soap
08-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Morning! It is extreme, this heat, isn't it? I saw on the tv that Holland reached 40 degrees as well, and I cannot remember ever being in that sort of heat in Holland! Saturday was an absolute scorcher here, 38 degrees and I was going from bike shop to bike shop. Phew, I am not sure if it was wise in that heat. Sunday was the 88th birthday of my father-in-law (well, so called - but am not married :D) and we had some cloudbursts in the morning.......... it was cool and humid for the rest of the day. Quite nice really. Now it is thundery and warm again. Strange weather........

Anyway I can understand it being too hot to paint, Patricia! And you Gerry - hope to see you back at it soon.

Well, back to work.....

S.

Smudger
08-11-2003, 03:52 AM
Morning all

101 degrees yesterday! a UK alltime high:eek:

Hope everyone is well and you all had good weekends.

Please everyone send lots of healing thoughts to Dawn today as she is having a small operation....Good Luck Dawn

soap
08-11-2003, 03:56 AM
All the best Dawn, hope it's not too serious!

Madder
08-11-2003, 04:23 AM
Good luck Dawn, good healing!

Yes, hothothot. As far as I heard 38.4 was the highest here and this has never happened in my lifetime! (and before) it is amazing... haven't slept well for a whole week now.
Arties in the States and elsewhere who are familiar with temps over around 100F: any tips for staying cool? :)
They are now saying here keep all your windows closed during the day and open them at night. True?

There's a website of a Dutch artist I found while browsing on the internet (http://www.hansdillesse.net/portretten/portretten.htm, if you're interested, I really love his style)
I have written to him to enquire about classes. Please keep your fingers crossed for me that there's a place in his class for me and that it's affordable..
Happy day eveyrone!

soap
08-11-2003, 04:29 AM
oooh.....Madder, please keep me posted on this one! Would love to know his prices and course set up as well. Nothing better than a good course and a visit to my family combined!

Greeble
08-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Good luck to Dawn

Madder, he does gorgeous work, good luck!

Its too early on monday morning to think much

Yawning Jen

doe
08-11-2003, 07:26 AM
Good Luck Dawn!

Madder, good luck with getting that painter as a tutor. Now, as for staying cool, yes windows closed during the day and opened at night is a good plan. However, air conditioning and ceiling fans is what we use here since it's ALWAYS hot.

Dyin, you lived on Alternate A1A if you were near the Gardens Mall. We live in that general area too. Recently there has been a building boom here and most likely that bit of land has something built on it now. Every time a builder manages to get some land the first thing they do is take the trees down.:crying: We have some of the most magnificent old live oaks here and used to have natural hammocks of sabal palms but now it seems if the land isn't designated a natural preserve it will get built on.

Stay cool everyone!:cool:

Dyin
08-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Ha...knew I wasn't the one that was wrong lol! I haven't been to the area since '94 and they were building lots of gated communities then...they say Florida is now the fasted growing state along with Nevada...in the summer I made it a point to be in the water or under an AC somewhere!
Oh, Madder...he's got lovely work...good luck!
Thoughts are with you Dawn!

nougat
08-11-2003, 09:59 AM
GET WELL SOON DAWN!!!

look forward to 'seeing' you back on WC very soon!!!

nadine

yes its HOT - what a summer this is....all this record-breaking heat... it will probably cause lots of storms in autumn too.....
sigh
n

flower
08-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Hey Dawn,

"GET WELL SOON" we need you...................................you´re the life and soul of our parties....................................

Artaholic
08-11-2003, 11:57 AM
Dawn hope to see you feeling better soon.
Here we keep the shades drawn on the side of the house that the sun is on ,but we often have a slight breeze so don't shut windows. But if the breeze is hot would shut windows too. Right now I am sitting at my west window and there is plesent breeze but that won't last long. won't we be glad for winter??:)

Gerry

angeline
08-11-2003, 02:01 PM
All my get well vibes to you Dawn.
It was soooooo hot at work last night i'm dreading tonight......no air and my uniform was sticking to me.........really busy too.......had to send one of my patients to high dependancy unit.
It was one of the busiest shifts i have ever had.
Hope tonight is better!

Mo.
08-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Ev'ning All.... Well it's somewhat a little cooler now after the electrical storm this morning, which cut off our electric for most of the day...Hi Patricia good to see you back again. :)... Hayley I don't envy you in your uniform at all, it must very uncomfortable.... I pity those poor guards outside Buck House.... sheesh now that must be unbearable..

Dawn...Hope all went well for you.... pop back soon when you feel up to it.... thinking of you. :)

E-J
08-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Thinking of you, Dawn :)

Husband and I went to view a house this evening, with a view to buying ... did this whole thing once before, when after a five-month search and being outbid countless times, we finally got as far as signing a contract on a place before the seller pulled out, just a fortnight before completion ... It's taken us 2 years to face doing it all again, and tonight was our first viewing. With one or two reservations, we really liked the place and are thinking about putting in an offer :) It's not in Cambridge (can't afford it) but in a pretty little town a short train ride away.

Hope everyone's had a good day!

flower
08-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi E-J,

I lived with, my grandmother for a few months when i was 10, guess where in Royston, outside of Cambridge, i visited cambridge often over the years that my granny was in Royston, i bet that would be a nice place to live, my uncles were well known jockies and one of them was at a stables there in Royston, they had such super heaths where you could see the race horses out early mornings...................................just reminiscing couldn´t................ help it when you said a nice village, that was 40 years ago i bet Royston is now a very very big town..........