PDA

View Full Version : One of Rod's Rocky Lessons

Javier
06-17-2001, 12:19 PM
A 5.5" by 6.5" watercolour on Arches 300 pound paper. This is taken from one of Rod's lessons on rocks. I spent a total of about three hours on this painting, which surprised me. It was a fun project and I enjoyed it very much. I made some changes to the original lesson only so I could put some of me into the
painting.

I would value a critical critique of both its faults and its merits. Ah, the bitter and the sweet. I can not improve without knowing where I missed the mark. On the last critique I missed on light (shadows) and the use of solid colors, both comments were very helpful.

Thanks in Advance (TIA),

j

Rod
06-17-2001, 09:30 PM
Hi Javier,
I 'm glad you put some of yourself into the painting, lessons are just a guide, always adapt for yourself.
Love the foreground colour and the way you have softly faded out to the light yellow colour. The rock sits nicely in the frame, slightly to one side.
I would like to see more variation in colour in your rock, light touches of blue, some light red , both applied by scumbling the dryish brush across the surface on its side. The base of the rock should be in shadow , some darks needed here, burnt umber /blue mix.
A great start, try these possibilities and please post again,
Rod

Javier
06-17-2001, 09:42 PM
Thanks Rod,

I'll work some more on this one or do another painting of it using your suggestions.

Thank Again,

j

Javier
06-18-2001, 09:47 AM
This is a rework of the original posting using the suggestion posted by Rod. And yes, I think it does look better. BTW, a person who saw the original said she thought it looked like a loaf of bread -- think she was right. :) But that is corrected now.

Thanks for the Help Rod,

j

Rosebud
06-19-2001, 10:56 AM
:clap: What a difference in the rework !

I thought the first one looked a little like a peanut :D

Amazing what a little instruction will do.
When I first started watercolor, I was SO afraid of the darks.
Most of my first attempts looked kinda flat and pale.

You're doing great :D Keep it up !

;) Rosebud

Javier
06-19-2001, 11:58 PM
Ya know, Rosebud, it did look like a peanut. :)

I'll work on those darker hues,

Thanks,

j

Leaflin
06-23-2001, 08:44 AM
Javier
A nice improvement in the second one.
I would like to see some individual shadows from the grass. Not much just a hint as this would 'ground' them.

(I love your tinyhead) :)

Javier
06-23-2001, 09:04 AM
Thanks to all of you -- your comments have been very helpful and have been implemented. Well all except the shadows of the grass -- going to go do that now.

You folks have been great.

Thanks Again,

j

taghera
06-23-2001, 05:44 PM
Javier, i haven't seen Rods lesson on this rock, but for me there should be more sharp ragged edges to a rock, i like the texture you have worked into your 2nd post, its starting to look good, well done. :)

Rod
06-23-2001, 05:49 PM
Another thought, while you are adding a hint of grass shadow, add a stronger shadow on the sand behing the rock so that the shadows merge between rock and sand,
Rod.

Javier
06-25-2001, 02:37 PM
I can imagine that some of you think this is the "Boomerang Rock" because it keeps coming back, but it isn't, it is now the "Caboose Rock" -- the end, the one that brings up the rear -- end of the line. :D:D:D

I thank you all for your help. You have been great.

j