PDA

View Full Version : Gouache vs Gouache-Tempera

vamsi
09-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm new on WetCanvas (finding out that here is so many nice people), and want to ask a question, as I'm really new in watercolor/gouache world.

My interests started with watercolors and I bought few Horadam Schmincke tubes some weeks ago. Than I found that Gouaches can be really beautiful (never tought of them like that), and want to experiment with them.

Two major companies can be bought in my country (not considering chinese gouaches) are Akademie Line Schmincke (there is no Horadam line here nor Designers) and Talens's Gouache-Tempera (I think ArtCreation line).

What is the difference between Gouache and Gouache-Tempera?

My main concerne is that I didn't like tempera when I started working as illustrator for living in mid '90s, and in '00. switched to digital painting. But I became kind of sick of CG images and want to go back to roots, traditional media (at least for my own personal satisfaction).

I would like to stick with Schmincke but Akademie line is lowest in quality among them and have limited pallete.

Thank you all very much for reading this and potential answers.
Vamsi

vamsi
09-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Hi there,
70 views and no one knows the answer.

Or simply don't want to bother to reply.

Thanks anyway.

Yorky
09-11-2012, 07:19 AM
I have noe experience of Egg Tempera so I can't help I'm afraid.

Doug

Merritt
09-11-2012, 08:54 AM
I myself use nothing but Windsor & Newton gouache yet Schmincke is also a brand of gouache I have no hesitation in recomending. Gouache is completely different to work with than egg tempera in my opinion.

Studio-1-F
09-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi there,
70 views and no one knows the answer.

Or simply don't want to bother to reply.

Thanks anyway.
Oh wow! Sorry! I have no experience with and have never used either Akademie Line Schmincke or Talens's Gouache-Tempera and so can't offer anything useful on this topic. I do not know the answer to your question.

Jan

vamsi
09-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks a lot.
Just crossed my mind that maybe I didn't define question well, as English isn't my native language.

Talens have line of gouaches that are labeled "Gouache Tempera".
That is what confuses me. What is "Gouache Tempera" in comparison with ordinary Gouaches?

As for Schmincke gouaches, in our stores are only Akademie Gouaches.
And I don't know how bad they are in comparison with Horadam Gouaches?

And lastly, what is the better choise: Akademie Gouaches Schmincke (lowest of three lines) or Talens ArtCreation line "Gouache Tempera"?

Again, thank you very much.

JDWooldridge
09-11-2012, 11:15 AM
From looking at Talens' website, I believe these are standard gouache. I looked up several definitions of "tempera" and there is a more generic definition that includes pigment in an aqeous colloidal binder. Gouache would fit this definition. However, best way to be sure is just to ask the manufacturer.

Fidgement
09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
I have some Talens gouache as my local art store began stocking them in singles. It says on the label that it is "gouache" in english. In three other languages, it is listed as below:

Plakkaatverf (Dutch to French means gouache)
Desinger Temper A farbe (German??)
Colores Tempera (Spanish - tempera colors)

A little research gave me the above info. I hope this helps.

Helen

vamsi
09-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Thank you all very much.

karenlee
09-13-2012, 09:31 PM
I have some tubes of Talens gouache and I can't say that I would recommend them over WN or Schmincke for any reason other than price. As far as I know, Sennelier is the only company that makes an egg tempera in tubes and they do not use the word gouache to describe that product.
In the USA, the term tempera is used for a type of childrens' water based paints and is a totally different medium from egg tempera. Talens gouache is not an egg tempera; it is a water based paint (not kid's paint).

Trond
09-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I have seen the term 'Gouache Tempera' being used for low-quality gouache (for some reason). Pure gouache, or pure tempera (even factory made) are both better. Or, you can even make true 'gouache tempera' by adding some egg yolk to your (high quality) gouache ;) (it is very similar to true egg tempera when used like this, but you don't have to mess with pigment powder, which can be messy)

I agree that pure gouache can be extremely beautiful when skilfully done. It is one of the least appreciated art forms, although it has been around for a very long time (Durer sometimes used it) and illustartors often use it. Here's an example that I like:
http://www.tednasmith.com/silmarillion/TN-White_Ships.jpg