PDA

View Full Version : OP Garden WIP

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2003, 07:57 PM
I don't know whether it's a WIP or the trash heap. This is on Art Spectrum with a background wash of watercolor. Hee hee . . . the watercolor background was sponged on and it looked better than this! Half-way through the painting it looked like I was under the see with all the swaying vegetation - LOL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2003/14941-flowe002.jpg

:D

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Well, this turned out dark - first time taking my own digital photo while DH is gone. I messed with it in photoshop on his computer, so that may be why it's so dark.

Oh well, it's only a WIP.

Dyin
08-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Kat...I love the red leaves and the dark blue background...don't think it's ready for the trash heap...maybe a touch of red in those bright greens? I like it....it's not your ordinary garden picture...it has impact...

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I know . . . I am so literal sometimes with my paintings . . . those are Iris leaves on the right and grass leaves on the left and I "see" no red in them. Let me give that a go.

:rolleyes:

Dyin
08-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Jackie was just on a thread...I think Dawns Green one...and she was saying to stay away from green as long as you can...lay down reds, oranges, yellows, blues, purple etc then do the greens...at least that's what I heard..lol...I'm awful at anything landscape or flowery...likes my peoples and animals....:D
I wanna see the updates...so guess it's a WIP!

MKathleen
08-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Hi Kat:
This knocks my socks off:D--those colors are absolutely beautiful! Hot Hot Hot--boy the red and green combo is a dazzler.:clap:
Beautiful work!
Best,
Kathy:)

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Here's the reference photo -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2003/14941-NCStategarden.JPG

meowmeow
08-10-2003, 04:39 PM
It's very striking....I think the reference photo does have more contrasts though. But you said it is a WIP....so start adding some lights. YOu have lots of nice darks there.
Definitely not trash heap material!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
08-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Hey Sandy: Thanks for taking the time to comment on the garden oil pastel. I'm going to work on it some more, but may do it over again. For some reason when I printed out the ref photo it came out darker than the one you see uploaded and now that I see all the brilliant color, I just may start over again and go way bigger. This was done on a 9 x 12 paper and I just can't seem to get detailed that small with OP's.

There are some things I like about this one - like the grey foliage on the dark blue background, but I need more practice on those red plants!

I know you are getting soaked in Florida just like we are - it just rained again for the second time today. :crying:

Mo.
08-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by kyle
I don't know whether it's a WIP or the trash heap. This is on Art Spectrum with a background wash of watercolor. Hee hee . . . the watercolor background was sponged on and it looked better than this! Half-way through the painting it looked like I was under the see with all the swaying vegetation - LOL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2003/14941-flowe002.jpg

:D

I really like what you are doing here Kat... those colours are luscious... looking at the ref and then at your painting I think once you've put the bottom greens in it will be more balanced....and if you look you can see the red leaves peeping through the green foliage at the bottom of the pic.

Keep going on this one Kat it's super.

cheers,
Mo.:)

Kathryn Wilson
08-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Hi Mo! Thanks for taking the time to look and comment on this piece. I know how busy you must be.

Going to let this lie for a little while - although I keep going back to look at it and will work on some of your suggestions.

:D :D