PDA

View Full Version : Oil pastels

Jolanta
08-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Hi,
I found some oil pastels sitting around and decided to give it a try. I didn't know what I was doing at first. After a while I started to feel good about it. I know they look great on the black background but I did try mixture with watercolors too. I would like to have your honest opinion. Don't be nice - just tell me exactly what you think. I have bad dreams about this approach. Is it tacky?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2003/12259-orchidbig.jpg Here is another onehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2003/12259-tree.jpg and another http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2003/12259-garden.jpg and this one is combination of oil pastels and watercolor background. All of the above are oil pastels only on black paper.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2003/12259-sunflowers.jpg
What do you think?
Jolanta

E-J
08-09-2003, 06:35 PM
No, it's not tacky. Looks like you've been having fun :)

The first image is pretty dramatic but my favourite is the third ~ there's something very sensual about those flowers.

What brand of op's were they?

Dark_Shades
08-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Hello Jolanta..... good to see you posting again..... you always amaze me with all the different things you try out..... I dont know anything about oil pastels.... but there are some real fanatics in here who know doubt will follow in shortly lolololol .....
so all I can say is what I like...... love the wonderful bright colours you have used...... especially in the tree and the flower one underneath it

marilyn h
08-09-2003, 07:25 PM
I think my favorite is 2. These are all beautiful, just love the trees the most!!!

Mystiq
08-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Hi Jolanta :clap: :clap: I don't know much about OP's (have only played with my son's crayola OP's!!) but I think you're on the right track. They are all very exciting.
I'm not so sure about the first one... but perhaps because of the feelings it evokes for me?
But I love the other three, especially the two in the middle. The tree is gorgeous :D The last one with watercolours is a great effect.
I say keep experimenting because I'd love to see *lots* more! :cat:
~*Tracy*~

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Wow - you were busy today! All in one day? I like the tree the best - you captured the backlighting so well. The other are also well done for someone who just started.

Great minds think alike - I was using my OP's today too (and a garden with an underpainting of watercolor), but I had problems but will post anyway. I have been working with OP's off and on for about a month and a half with varied successes.

:D

Dyin
08-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Hi...I'm one of those fanatics!:D :evil:
Here we go, one by one!
I like the first approach...having the black show thru in places really makes the OPs vivid
The second is exquisite...I'm jealous lol
the third is gorgeous...the colors just pop
and the last gives a nice soft effect by using in combo with wc
ok...now for the juicy stuff...don't you love these??? You seem a good match with them...I love them for all their possibilities...did you do all these one right after another the same day??? Again jealous! What kind of paper, what kind of OPs? Are you an OP convert yet???? lol:D
Sue

oh yeah...have you noticed the OP sticky...lots of good info there!

Craig Houghton
08-09-2003, 08:52 PM
You'd have to commit me to a serious brainwashing session to ever get me to put down the black paper -- i love seeing well-done examples as much as I love creating them, and your pieces are top-notch. It's far from tacky -- your work has a very elegantly executed sophistication that couldn't possibly be squelched by a specific technique.

And, the watercolor foundation looks incredible. I've recently discovered tinted watercolor paper, but I haven't given it a go as a pastel foundation -- after seeing this though I've decided to push the project up on my priority list.

Wonderful stuff!

-Craig

Koert
08-11-2003, 12:59 AM
i like the first one best
the contrast between the bg and the flower is great

the third one is at second place for me
i like how the flowers in the middle look so soft

Madder
08-11-2003, 07:03 AM
beautiful, all of them..

The colors really sparkle against the black. Personally, I think I would prefer letting the paper shine through in not quite so many places in the first one and the one with the vase.
I really like the softness of the petal at the top in the first one, that is just so gorgeous against the black

Greeble
08-11-2003, 07:10 AM
They are all gorgeous, my favorites are #2 and #4. I have to try this black paper.

Jen

Jolanta
08-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Hi,
I wanted to thank everybody for such a nice words and great comments. I did this series while looking for different medium and different subject and didn't know if it is any good at all. I think with the right framing it can be very dramatic. I didn't do it in one day - I am not this fast! I really appreciate all of your comments. I know I will do some more. I am thinking about pressing them hard so they will have a look of thick oil paint. So many ideas and so little time!!!

Have a great day
Jolanta

Mo.
08-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Hi Jolanta....these are super paintings... I use Oil pastels too.... although I won't admit to being a fanatic about them.... not yet anyway.:D...
You have shown us several differing techniques here by seems of things.... the last one I find really intruiging, just love the effects you have achieved there..... please post some more soon.

cheers,
Mo.:)

Paintbrush74
04-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Okay I know it's an old thread but did anybody notice the face in the lower lefthand corner of the last picture? I'm talking about the piece with the daisy-like flowers.

Looks pretty obvious to me; Jolanta did you know it was there? It looks like a face that's sort of lying down.

Dyin
04-25-2004, 12:26 AM
oh goody, someone else who sees faces in stuff! Yep, I see it! Fun seeing this old thread again too!

chestie
04-25-2004, 12:42 AM
I like all of them a lot, but you don't want to know what I see in the first one.
Not sure if I'm being naive here :)

Jolanta
04-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Hi,
Thanks for digging it out. Honestly I didn't see this face until now. Now I see it very clearly.It actually doesn't surprise me. I see faces everywhere. I am not talking about clouds this is obvious and everybody can see it but if I walk on concrete with cracks I see faces usually profiles-lots of them. I have a vinyl floor in my bathroom with kind of marblish design. I go to the bathroom look down and see faces-some are weird looking but very expressive, not detailed but remind me some old masters characters. My kitchen counter has a splashy design and I see them too. Am I going nuts?
When I had an article in the newspaper I was talking about it and got some commissions out of it. As I type it I am thinking maybe I should just draw what I see no matter how weird it looks I mean faces. So far I do portraits pretty looking in traditional way. I am afraid I will have a hard time to be consistent with my art since I try so many different things. I just cannot do the same thing over and over. I have an overwhelming need to explore and invent and brake all the rules.
Chestie - shame on you! The reference was orchid photo. I wander why people love orchids so much.
Thank you all
Jolanta

majestaero
04-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Fanatics? Did she call us fanatics, Sue?? :D :D

I just noticed it's an old thread...guess I don't read too well. Could be eating those OPs has affected my brain...so much for being non-toxic!

So what was the verdict? Did you convert, Jolanta? :p I'm so out-of-touch.... :rolleyes:

Linda (out there somewhere...)

Dyin
04-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Fanatics? Did she call us fanatics, Sue?? :D :D

I just noticed it's an old thread...guess I don't read too well. Could be eating those OPs has affected my brain...so much for being non-toxic!

So what was the verdict? Did you convert, Jolanta? :p I'm so out-of-touch.... :rolleyes:

Linda (out there somewhere...)
Had to go back and see...yep, Dawn called us fanatics! Now, since we see faces too, we're nuts....yep, nutty fanatics. :D
Jolanta...keep pushing the envelope, eventually even though you change subjects your way of expressing yourself will be recognisable. And Chestie actually was putting you in the same class as Georgia O'Keefe...lots of reference about her flowers too!

gr8pets
04-25-2004, 09:51 PM
These are wonderful! In the second one, I love the play of light coming through the leaves and falling in the ground. Very inspiring use of color!

And the third one...I expect to see a fairy flit into view. It's magical and soft. Yummy!

Christi