PDA

View Full Version : "Aragorn" portrait

chucks888
08-09-2003, 05:36 PM
So I decided to dust off my paint brushes and work on my painting skills. To be honest I've always been a little afraid of paint. But I figured what the heck, best confront my fears eh? This is a portrait of "Aragorn" from the Lord of the Rings. I just happened to have a good sized ref picture around, so why not?

This was a liberating little doodle- instead of the tight, clean style I usually work I went right at it with big broad brush strokes. I didn't an underdrawing as I usually do, which saved me quite a lot of time. I don't know if the final result could be considered 'loose' but it is a departure for me. I might tighten up the background a bit more.

Unfortunately the scan is a bit dark and blurry, due to the fact that the piece is bigger than the scanner so the surface doesn't actually touch the scanner. Maybe photographing it would yield better results.

click here (http://chucks888.freeservers.com/gallery/elessar.html)

Comments, crits, complaints welcome!

Leslie Pz
08-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by chucks888
...This was a liberating little doodle- instead of the tight, clean style I usually work I went right at it with big broad brush strokes...

"Gasp!" (After reading your comment, that's all I can say, now!)

artistjan
08-09-2003, 07:41 PM
That's a smashing painting - he is my favourite character in LOTR.

My only comment is that parts of the face are detailed - especially the nose and the nearer eye - and the rest is very loose.... the impression is of a photograph melded with a painting. I suspect that is due to this being a departure from your usual style.

That said - it is a great picture and an excellent likeness :)

V.Bleile
08-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Wow! Re: Tightening up the background, I think it's perfect just the way it is! Gives it kind of a 'turmoil' feel.

Vicki

katz
08-09-2003, 08:28 PM
This is a beautiful portrait. I really like your style, it has so much feeling in it.
Aragorn is not too hard on the eyes either imo. lol
Katz

kurtwagnerbamf
08-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Great painting!Only four more months til Return Of The King!

fletch
08-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Quit excellent...for a doodle...:D

Ivyleaf
08-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Ummmm if this is a doodle, I'm almost afraid to see a finished piece ;) .

This is a wonderful piece, and I like it the way it is...lots of emotion and atmosphere in it. There's a lot going on here to look at and capture the viewer's attention.

I like the loose versus detailed areas in this piece, I think it works to focus the attention on his face, yet gives the viewer room to breathe and wander thru and definitely wonder as well.

Well done, thanks for sharing this!

:) :) :)
Ivy

Lynxes123
08-10-2003, 12:58 AM
WOW, your painting is beyond fantastic!!!!
Lynxes123

artcolony1
08-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Impressive.

Did you set up the flesh tones on your pallet first or did you mix them directly on the canvass? (Me- I mix Burnt sienna and white in varying stages. It gives me the mid tones and the highlights right off.)

Did you use the paints full strength or did you thin them some what?

Elven Prince
08-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Ok I just popped in here and saw your picture!

Very very awsome! The colors give it a "ranger" feel to it! LOL Youve captured the resemblence wonderfully! ((This is a DOODLE?!?! my best painting isnt this good! LOL)))

I browsed throught your other work..... Absolutly incredible!!:clap: :clap:

maverick
08-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Amazing! I'm not sure why you're afraid of paint. You are already at a skill level that most people would envy.

annay
08-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Fabulous painting.

JustjoGA
08-11-2003, 05:48 PM
If I could do portraits like this, I would wish no other painting talent~!! And I've never said that anywhere before!

CBruce
08-11-2003, 07:26 PM
doodle?.....keep on doing it! Love the expression in this piece.

shirleyq
08-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Ivyleaf
Ummmm if this is a doodle, I'm almost afraid to see a finished piece ;) .

This is a wonderful piece, and I like it the way it is...lots of emotion and atmosphere in it. There's a lot going on here to look at and capture the viewer's attention.

I like the loose versus detailed areas in this piece, I think it works to focus the attention on his face, yet gives the viewer room to breathe and wander thru and definitely wonder as well.

Well done, thanks for sharing this!

:) :) :)
Ivy

What she said!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

kare
08-12-2003, 03:21 AM
*stares at the screen,,, speechless!*

Fantasic!!!!!

~Memory~
08-12-2003, 02:39 PM
WOW! No compaints here. Excellent job. Magnificent! :clap: :clap:

Meowlady
08-12-2003, 05:01 PM
I'll second Leslie's "gasp" and add "oh my gosh"!!! That is a *grand* doodle, and I like the background just as it is. The only thing further I can find to say is "what a hottie"!!

dollardays
08-13-2003, 03:11 PM
This is excellent- you should "doodle" with paint more often. Very nice likeness, too. :)

chucks888
08-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I'm sorry I haven't replied in a while but my internet has been down for the past two days. As a matter of fact it is still down (I'm using a library pc). I will supply a more coherent response when my internet is usable again. Cheers!

-Chuck

christinabella
08-13-2003, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chucks888
[B]So I decided to dust off my paint brushes and work on my painting skills. To be honest I've always been a little afraid of paint.

Whyever would you be afraid to paint? I think this is just beautiful: wild and fresh and immediate. I love the lack of detail in the background.

:clap:

chucks888
08-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Hi again folks, my internet is finally working again. I've uploaded the "final" version, so the link will now take you to that. Basically the background was filled in some more as compared with before. Thanks again for all the great compliments!

I seem to have gotten some flak for calling it a 'doodle'. That might not be the best word but I think it describes the idea of just going in and painting with no planning at all pretty well. I also did this very quickly- a quickie!

I had some apprehension with paints because I've never really gotten to a level I'm pleased with. I'm trying to remedy that now though so much practice is to come. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Chuck

sec
08-14-2003, 12:15 AM
oh please don't be afraid to paint anymore!!!

all i can say about your painting is...WOW!

chucks888
08-15-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks sec, this is definitely a big step in ridding me of my 'paint-phobia'- will be doing more!

BeeCeeEss
08-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Seriously! This portrait is a stunner. Great job, Chuck!

I know I'm a bit late to this party of high praise and admiration, but I love doing portraits and I've always been frustrated when trying to do them in acrylics. Oils are my specialty and the change-over to acrylics has been a love-hate ordeal, to say the least.

I read through this thread so I wouldn't miss any details you might provide about your methods, type of acrylics you used, what surface you painted on. I'm burning with curiosity about how you accomplished this wonderful portrait of one of my favorite characters (and actors) from the "Lord of the Rings" movies. Did you paint this on canvas? Watercolor paper or board? The paints look to be done in mostly opaque style, but I seem to see some thinned, wash-like areas, too. I love your flesh-tones. What type/brand of brushes do you usually work with? Sorry to be so full of questions, but it's a measure of my admiration for this portrait.

Your painting style is loose and rugged, much like the character Aragorn, yet you do wonderful detail here and there to pull it all together. Just love it!

Regards,

Beverly

froggee501
08-17-2003, 11:26 PM
do you realize that you are selling it ChEaP on Ebay?

artmidwife
08-18-2003, 01:35 PM
My fave LOTR character (drool, drool) Holy cow, that is a great portrait! The background is so stirring. One little nit--his mouth seems tight--after staring at him whenever possible--his mouth is softer. I do love it no matter how it is.

artmidwife :o

VictoriaZeLoco
10-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by maverick
Amazing! I'm not sure why you're afraid of paint. You are already at a skill level that most people would envy.

people like me! awesome job.... *cant wait for Return of the King*

Marty C
10-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi Chuck,
I must have somehow missed this thread but luckily I found it and I have to say fantastic work! Very, very impressive.:clap: :clap: :clap:
To keep to the LOTR character theme, check out Iconoclasts Legoleas Greenleaf WIP in the oils forum - fascinating.
Marty
:)

jocelynsart
10-09-2003, 11:50 AM
I think it is a wonderful portrait, very earthy and expressive. I don't find an unbalance with styles in it.
Joss