PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Block buster?

DanaT
08-09-2003, 08:47 AM
OK, we've all had them or we wouldn't be cruising this forum. Artists blocks, times when you just can't get it together creatively.

What's your tried and true way to bust the block and get to the other side?

Mine seems to be paying bills. I dread it and put it off but then I feel guilty for doing creative stuff with the bills still unpaid, so when I get them all done, a surge of energy rushes through me (especially since I always find I had more money than I thought).

Note I didn't say it was my favorite, I still hate paying bills but it works!

What's yours? :)

Keith Russell
08-09-2003, 09:44 AM
The best cure for my basic artist's block is simply a sense of accomplishment of any sort. Whether I get my checkbook balanced, or get a pile of paperwork filed, or get some things put away that my wife and I have been tripping over for a while--or even getting a set of prints matted, or a painting framed--once those mundane things are finished, I'm ready to hit the studio and get something accomplished in there, too.

The problem has been that I usually don't have time to do both.

After two or three evenings spent working on anything but art, I need to free up a bunch of studio time, to have enough so that I can 'catch up' on my art.

Finding that balance is key, and no way have I mastered that, yet.

K

sue ellen
08-09-2003, 10:13 AM
I pick up a sketchbook and just start drawing..anything and everything...i just start filling pages of whatever comes to mind.
I don't put any pressure on the outcome.
I just draw. Eventually things start to come into focus for me and i get the momentum that carries me forward.

Stoy Jones
08-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Someone elses creative efforts never fails to get me inspired. Whether it be watching a favorite movie, going to my favorite places (which would be galleries, art stores, or themeparks), or cruising the forums at Wetcanvas!

I also run out of gas when I don't involve myself. I went a long period of time (several years) not doing anything and once my wife talked me into taking classes at the local art center and visiting Wetcanvas, it has been a tidalwave of inspiration that will take a long while to sort out.

Stoy

DanaT
08-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Yes, stoy, activity. I think anything that makes me present and in the moment rather than thinking of a thousand other things I could be doing.

vklum
08-11-2003, 12:42 PM
For photography, one of my best "block busters" is watching Alfred Hitchcock movies.

One of the best qualities of his films is how they're photographed. And, since he filmed a bunch of them in the Bay Area, I can get out of a funk by doing a mini-Hitchcock photo tour.

For painting...well I haven't really found anything to get rid of the blocks, yet, other than wait them out...or go through my stacks of photos and see if something doesn't "stick".

DanaT
08-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Victoria, I loved his movies. I think any of the films from the 30s or 40s were just beautiful.

imlayte
08-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Sell a painting, Works every time.

Howard

bloodjelly
08-13-2003, 04:16 AM
seriously - watching old Bob Ross reruns on PBS. Between his mellow voice, and the sounds of his brush scratching the canvas, I kind of fall into a half-awake, half-asleep zone where my mind has a chance to rest. Random ideas usually start popping into my head, and lots of times they're useable! If I'm sick of being inside, though, I'll go lift weights at the gym for an hour or so, read something, then come back to it later.

DanaT
08-13-2003, 08:09 AM
Heck, ol' Bob got me to painting in oils myself. At least his programs got me to see myself doing it and that's half the battle right there.

dodger
08-13-2003, 11:23 AM
I take Julia Cameron's advice & fill the well.

Nature walks usually do it for me. Or watching horses... both occupations with camera and/or sketchbook in hand. Gallery outings, rifling through my photos or taking the time to go through a good art book can do it too.

DanaT
08-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Yes, Julia. Those artist's dates are so good at filling the well. I hope you can join us this September as we start another TAW program.

Gisele
08-14-2003, 11:32 AM
I have a hard creating in a chaotic surrounding ....so... I guess re organizing an area of the house helps a lot. It's like cleaning up the well. To fill the well up: a good movie or book, a walk in the woods, a creative afternoon in the kitchen ccoking confort food...

Gisele:)

DanaT
08-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Me too. I guess that's why I've been house cleaning lately.

O'Connor
08-21-2003, 02:42 PM
I'm fortunate to have a variety of interests and artistic pursuits.
When I can't raise inspiration for painting, I'll go play guitar and/or work on a song.
If the music's going nowhere, I might write poetry.
If those things don't work, I might add to the radio script I'm currently (8 years?) working on.
If those don't work I'll turn to hobbies; nature walks with birdwatching, fishing, watching Godzilla/Charlie Chan/MST3K movies.

If none of the above things worked, I'd determine myself to be

a)dead
b)in a coma
c)in a delusional episode
d)ready for bed.

DanaT
08-21-2003, 03:26 PM
LOL Paz

I recently took up the guitar for the same reason. My fingers are sore but it works.

O'Connor
08-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Glad to hear you've taken up guitar. Keep practicing at least twice a week for two hours minimum, and the pain will subside quickly.
Within a year.

(:p Just kidding!)

(I hope you started on acoustic. It's much easier to go acoustic to electric than vice versa, IMHO)

DanaT
08-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Definitely acoustic.

Yeah, I was advised to practice 15 minutes every day at the beginning. I'm practicing scales and chord progressions now so its pretty easy. I really like the G-Em-Am-D7 progression.

I took lessons as a child but they didn't teach this way back then. It does make a difference.

O'Connor
08-22-2003, 08:58 AM
Once you've learned on acoustic, you can play either. (Although there are a few mechanical skills required dealing with the hypersensitive pickups on electrics)
I've met more than a few that strictly play electric, and can't handle the muscle needed for the acoustic fretboard.
C-Am-F-G is another good progression. (Last Kiss), and G-D-C will allow you to play almost all of the Eagles' songs and all Steve Miller tunes!

DanaT
08-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by O'Connor

C-Am-F-G is another good progression.

Sounds good; I haven't gotten to the F chord yet, don't know if I'm ready. Supposedly a favorite quote from guitarists is, "Its not called the F-chord for nothing" :D