PDA

View Full Version : Spotted - posture?

TDCT
09-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi (:, I am painting this snow leopard in B&W acrylic (20"x28") partly just to practice but also so my little brother can hang it up in his bachelor pad haha.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2012/1085762-IMG_2066_800x600.jpg

It's the first real animal I've ever painted...and unlike trees and rocks and things I realised while working on it that I don't really understand the structure of animals :S.

So...how does his posture/bone structure look? Of course it's nowhere near done, but I am going to start on the background now (putting off painting the fur lol) and I don't want to start putting the detail in until I have his shape down (:.

Note, his one back leg and the other back foot will be blurred so they probably won't stand out like they do now. More worried about general placement and the front legs/face/back.

song_bird
09-06-2012, 01:03 AM
I really like his face, back, and chest. Legs and tail are way to wide. Girth doesn't look right either. Are you working from any reference photos?

Debzy
09-06-2012, 01:47 AM
I agree with Song bird TD. His face is lovely, eyes, markings etc! His legs look too thick to me as well as his tail as Song bird pointed out, could you post the reference if you have one so that we can help you get him right for your brother? It will be a lovely study for your brothers 'Pad" when it is complete! Great effort so far, I know animals are tricky to paint, I have tried it. Many many hours of adjusting small details, but it's worth it in the end. And, you do start to become more familiar then with the anatomy of different animals, so it is a double bonus learning curve! Good luck and we will help you all we can! I love animals, especially the cat family. =)) Cheers. Debs.

crafor
09-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Ditto the previous posters. It has a 3 dimensional quality about it now. Good start.
Ella

TDCT
09-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Hey guys, thanks (:.

I didn't post the reference photo on purpose because in my opinion, the two main things that differ from it are the face and the tail. It's attached in grey-scale.

The face I like how I've got it, because I think it still reflects what I've seen other snow leopards look like - so don't worry if you see the differences there, all I will probably change about it is the colour when I start adding fur and maybe make the muzzle longer. Unless you think the way I have it really detracts from the image...

The tail - I made it longer in the painting because I want it to cover more of what's left of the canvas, and snow leopards have huuuge tails, as you can see in this other photo, so I thought it would be ok (:. But again, if you think it's a big issue let me know.

The width of the legs and body...I measured (but just the whole down the straight arm paintbrush thing haha) but I do all my pre-drawing freehand - and also all later drawing free with a paintbrush so that could be way off. Just figured since it's winter he is pretty furry.

Thoughts now that you've seen the reference?