PDA

View Full Version : improve ebay listing

Artistammy
08-08-2003, 12:32 PM
My listing just ended without a bid. Before I relist it, I was wondering if anyone sees a way to improve the way it is listed. I thought this would sell with the right price. :confused: I hate to sell it for less but it's so discouraging when they don't sell. The last 2 or 3 I listed didn't sell either. Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...gory=20158&rd=1

Dyin
08-08-2003, 01:07 PM
I get a page cannot be found...I had no luck on ebay...some do, some don't, I'd consider finding another source for your pricier work...and keeping ebay for lower priced pieces...just MHO...a shame to work so hard and then practically give it away...

Artistammy
08-08-2003, 01:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...gory=20158&rd=1 This works in the Art Business forum post. I don't know what the problem could be. You could search for item # 3541863283.

pampe
08-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Listing looks fine, Tammy and it is a beautiful painting. I see that you have 71 views...not bad.

I am finding it slow recently.....maybe it's just the timing

Dyin
08-08-2003, 01:29 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3541863283

I found it under this link no problem...that's a beautiful painting...and it's already a very low price...my thought is to try to put it under a more specific category than painting...so many thousands there...I'm not too familiar with ebay...another site wanted to put up my artwork...my only other suggestion is to not include the pic of it on the wall...people want to imagine it on their own wall and being at a distance just makes it look a little more insignificant, which is not to say it is...just takes away from it...not sure this is any help...not like any of my stuff sold there lol!

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Tammy: What a nice floral painting and it is priced where it should be snapped up by anyone. Ebay is difficult to call - with the economy so bad right now, the buyers are not buying. Having watched the threads in the Art Business forum it sounds like you have to have a "following" developed over a few years to sell well on Ebay. Subject matter may be the problem - so many nice florals to compete against.

My feeling is that pastels on ebay do not do well because of the framing problem. If you'll notice, most people are buying paintings (oils & acrylics) that are on wrapped canvas so that the expense of framing is not necessary. Of course, pastels should be framed but at your pricing you can't afford it!

I've been considering selling on Ebay too, but can't seem to get around the problem of framing and shipping of pastels in order to even make just a smidgen.

Artistammy
08-08-2003, 02:59 PM
kat,
I tried listing them framed & sold one where they asked to buy it unframed because shipping would be less. lol Then I undid the work of framing. It isn't easy to figure out.

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2003, 03:05 PM
I think the clue is to hang in there. Apparently if you keep listing consistently, find your niche with just a little different than everyone else, things pick up. I am sure you heard this in the business forum, but I totally believe that consistent listings may be key. Also, watch those key words in your title so that more people find your work - instead of "flower" try "floral" - it may be a more generic term that people search for.

Also, I believe a good counter program helps too, especially one that gives you stats back as to when people are looking, what days are better than other to end your auctions, and the keywords people are plugging in to search.

Good luck and I may see you there!

Dark_Shades
08-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Tammy let me start by saying there is no real reason at all why this never sold nor had any bids... its a wonderful painting! .... If you are happy with that price thats fine..... loads of other people are happy to sell at alot less and alot higher. There are lots of discussions, comments and tips in the business forum.... some say you HAVE to get a high score on visitors in the region of 150+ ..... Me myself having sold a whopping great number of 4!!! on ebay lolol, and delighted for each one.... have come to the conclusion, that its purely a matter of 'luck' ...... luck of having the right painting/subject, on ebay, at the right time, at the right price... having 'Your Buyer' happening to be surfing at that right time...... its not never a reflection of your abilities as an artist... that is clearly to be seen.

I like what someone said somewhere....... YOUR....... Buyer just didnt happen to be there this time

On the 4 that I have sold, Ive only ever had one bid on each one.... on another painting I had over 200 views.... it didnt sell ...... on another it SOLD!!! on 31 views... just proving lol, my theory of being the right place at right time...... had my Ballerina on there... didnt sell :p ... decided to have it framed and to show in an exhibition at work and just happened to having laying on my couch when my hairdresser came round..... he bought it there and then for the price I wanted.... again right place, right time, right buyer

Sorry, waffled on, as I always do lolol..... just trying to say, dont get down hearted.... just keep plugging away...... it will happen, lol and you are going to be sooooo excited when it does.... just dont give up..... and just treat it as a bit of fun..... sort of a lottery ticket

Im not sure by the link ........ by the way yours doesn't work, but the one Sue had does http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3541863283 .. did you have a gallery picture... think for the little bit extra thats worth it...... also I noticed 4WC...... I thought WC search was WC!..... another useful tip I think is that you are limited to 45 letters only in the 'key' description area.... use that to its full potential with 'key' words, leaving out others that you could put in the main description

...... use the word 'Floral' rather than flower.... leave out 'painting', they can see that when they get to view it

..... Lavender, Pink & Purple Floral Pastel WC!..... think that sounds a bit nicer.... just a thought..... or surf ebay looking at similiar works, see what words they use and how they show them and the descriptions they use.. check out other WC'ers who are selling on there.... lol Pampe has done well...... check hers out lol.... think economic climate and seasons to have an effect..... is it summer, alot away on vaction.... taxes due

...... Just remember.... YOUR buyer just didnt happen to be there this time..... and have fun and enjoy it

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Ditto Dawn! BTW, I guess the powers that be have decided to us 4WC because other items were turning up in WC! searches - I think you'll find some long threads on this in the business section.

:D

Dark_Shades
08-08-2003, 04:11 PM
lol Kat, thanks for that then, been some time obviously since selling anything on Ebay, but then again lol..... never did use the WC in the description :D ...... but I think I will have to have a 'dabble' again soon when things quieten down here .... always exciting to see if anything does or doesnt sell...... and hey, Tammy, dont forget its always a cheap way of getting views, and showing people what you can do and into your website ........ 71 other people got to see your work that wouldnt of normally.......

its allllllll good stuff

Dark_Shades
08-08-2003, 04:19 PM
me again :D .... sorry Kat, lol, I just went back and started reading every one elses comments ha ha .... and saw we said some of the same...... great minds eh ;)
One of the ones I sold I had listed again at alot higher price... and had it framed.... it sold..... but, as the cost of shipping from the UK to USA was high.... I wont frame them now and try to sell.... so the other 3 were unframed and unmatted ..... covered them in glassine paper and inside a stiffened hardboard envelope.... and they were fine...... no problems that I am aware of...... I also think that 'frames' are such a personal thing..... style and colour, that they might clash with the persons surroundings and decor and put that in the description, so they can choose their own complimentary ..... etc.

Ok, sorry, think Im done this time :D :evil: :angel:

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Naw, yer not done, yer just restin' . . .:evil: :D

pampe
08-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Tammy...I have been selling on Ebay for 1 year now....and I can tell you...there is NO WAY to figure it out.

EXCEPT that you have to keep on listing

I suggest you read the stickies in the INTERNET BUSINESS FORUM which contain a million hints and all our tribulations ion EBAY

Artistammy
08-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Hey guys - it sold when I relisted it!! I'm really excited!! I have been reading in the business forum too. I need all the help I can get. They did a Buy-it-now. Thanks for all the advice.:clap: :clap:

Dyin
08-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Tammy...see there??? That's wonderful news...congratulations!!!

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Wow! That is exciting and encouraging! So cool for you. Congratulations! Now do another one each week so your "followers" know they can find a painting from you every week.

Dark_Shades
08-09-2003, 05:35 AM
well there ya goooooooooo ....... absolutely delighted for ya

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ..... see I told ya......

lolol wish Id held back with my comments though and you had come in sooner....... would of saved my poor ol fingers from typing .... ha ha ha :D

So what you putting up next? ......... dont forget to put a link in your signature to your Ebay auctions and we can all come and have a look

Well done.... so pleased for you :D

Artistammy
08-09-2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean about a link to my auctions in my signature. Won't it be different every time?