PDA

View Full Version : Article on skies

pampe
08-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Daniel Smith newsletter has a nice little article (http://www.danielsmith.com/INKSPOT/0803/default.htm?UID=2003080808213735) on doing skies in pastel this month

Pam

mpopinz
08-08-2003, 11:26 AM
Thanx Pam,

they sent me an article too. Looking forward to practicing skies!!!!

nougat
08-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Thanks for this interesting article Pam

nadine

MKathleen
08-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Hey Pam:
I got one too, today haven't read it yet but plan to---tonight. It's comes at an excellent time for me as I'm in the process of starting a low landscape all sky painting (storm clouds at sunset) Wish me luck. So this is great timing...
Best,
Kathy:)

jackiesimmonds
08-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Just a word of warning to those of you planning to look at this demo, and then do some skies.

Have a good look at the photo. See the BASES of the clouds on the left.

The artist has separated the tones of the clouds, and then joined up the bases of the clouds into one large ultramarine SHAPE.

This destroys the sense of recession, and brings the further clouds, forward in the picture, instead of sending them away towards the horizon.

To get a real sense of recession in the sky, she needed to have kept the tones richer and darker for the clouds which were closest to the viewer, and then reduced the tone values as the clouds move "back" towards the horizon, since they are, strange tho it may seem, the furthest away from the viewer.

Recession could also have been implied even more, with more obvious overlap.

Do be awfully careful of this when you do your own cloud pics.

Jackie