GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Something in the flowers - WIP
Year Created:
Medium: Digital
Surface: Computer
Dimension: 2200x2500 pix
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a composite picture made from different references that I shot in the same light. It's not finished and I may take to oils at a later stage. I'm using digital to sort out the structure, lighting and general composition. A lot of the flowers are very rough at the moment.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What I'd really like help on is making sure that the object all gel together especially with the lighting. Tear it apart please - I don't get upset very easily.

Dana Design
09-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Moved this to WIPs.

Candra H
09-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Ah, I just spotted this so feel free to ignore my comment in the Chat/Debate Thread.

I cant really comment on the digital side of it because I'm no expert but I like the idea of the composition so far. I'm just wondering if the girl isn't being drowned by those large white peony type flowers at the top and bottom corners.

Maybe when you get to the oil painting stage, bring the girl forward with stronger contrasts on her lighting to balance that out, and also add some cast shadows from the foreground flower onto her so she looks like she belongs in the picture.

Black Spot
09-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Thank Candra. Great thing with digital and having everything on different layers is that you can move them about. Is it better like this?

Candra H
09-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Thats much better, definitely.

Are you going to change the lighting on her face though? At the moment it's very dark compared to everything else, and I think even if she's hidden among the flowers, her face should stand out more.

Black Spot
09-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Well the idea was that she shouldn't be that noticeable at first and that the front flower is casting a shadow over her face. There should be some bits of foliage wrapping themselves about bits of her as well. I might work out some different scenarios and see which people prefer.

song_bird
09-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Well the idea was that she shouldn't be that noticeable at first

Hm, she is very noticeable, so not understanding this.

Black Spot
09-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Sort of like she's not what you expect in flowers. I may not be describing it well.

Update. Still need to get the depth sorted.

Black Spot
09-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Also don't like the white flowers behind her head. Need to revisit that bit.

song_bird
09-08-2012, 06:30 PM
I like this one much better. Might even carry those yellow flowers around her right foot to underscore her more. The downward motion and clump of the yellow spray on the bottom bothers me. Sounds like a good idea on the white ones behind her head.

Dana Design
09-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Her face is just too dark and the white flowers behind her head are making it appear darker.

song_bird
09-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I agree with Dana and had meant to mention maybe her hair color is too dark.

Dana Design
09-09-2012, 01:21 PM
The face should take center stage and not the flowers. I realize this is digital and perhaps I shouldn't even be commenting on this.

Black Spot
09-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Art is art digital or not. I'm hoping to head it towards doing it in oils later. I'm using digital to sort out all the problems before I start.

When the flowers were larger, the shadow on her face made more sense. I'll lighten it. Got rid of the white flowers and have been playing with overall shadows to bring it together. Currently, I have it on about 8 layers and when I'm satisfied with it overall, I'll collapse them as it's much better working on one layer.

Keep the feedback coming - I'm aiming at perfection.

song_bird
09-09-2012, 06:49 PM
The clump of yellow flowers at the bottom still bothers me. It now seems as if there is a large flower in each corner (almost, bottom left is off, but still feel a quad effect, imo). Like the little white flowers, especially about the bottom near her feet. Don't care for the background around her head. Really like the green leaves of the 2nd image though. Also prefer the softness of the large white flowers in the previous versions. Maybe the contrast was turned up?

I wonder if long, wavy flowing hair would be pretty and entwine her more. I think she needs some highlights on her face, sparkle in her eyes and on her lips. Her form and dress look very pretty.

Candra H
09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
I like where this is going but there are still two small things that are bugging me.

I think you need to throw more light on the girl's face. Although she's sitting in the middle of the flowers which are much bigger than her, she should still be the focus of the painting, and people relate to other people's faces so punching the the contrast between light and shadow there would really bring her into focus and make her the centre of attention. Right now, she's disappearing into the background because her face is in full shadow.

I'd also like to see something by her raised hand, maybe a butterfly or something, just so she doesn't look like she's waving her hand about at nothing. But that's probably a minor niggle on my part so feel free to ignore me.

Good luck and I'll be watching to see where you go with it.

Black Spot
09-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I wasn't happy with the composition so changed things about. Sometimes it's better to go backwards then continue. I also changed the dimensions slightly to match my canvas which is 32" x 40". I'll be doing smaller studies of parts as well.

Composition is the main thing. If it doesn't work small, it won't work scaled up.

Black Spot
11-02-2012, 03:08 AM
Changed things again. This time I'm working on the canvas.

Black Spot
11-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Changed things a lot since I was last here.

song_bird
11-18-2012, 10:02 AM
I like the new flower arrangement. Works very well, imo.

Andrewcody
11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Not everything is Art

Black Spot
12-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Haven't been back for ages - my mother died unexpectedly, which threw my world a bit sideways. Anyway I've picked this back up and have cracked on. The foot still needs work and some of the background isn't fleshed out yet.

LouiseMarie
01-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Omg, sorry about your mother, that's terrible, hope you are ok? Good job we have our art to get lost in, hugs x
I am finding this very interesting, you are incredibly talented, this is going to be brilliant. I am interested in trying oils and this is going to help me a lot. :clap:

Black Spot
01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks. This underpainting is done in acrylics - I'm sort of treating it like a sketch where nothing is sacred and can still change things around if I'm not happy; if I see something is not working, I change it. Move a few things about and done a lot more filling in.

painterlight
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
I really like where this is going . Two things to watch out for, which are minor .. the anatomical structure of the face. The small flowers underneath her left leg probably could have more value variation esp. on the left near her hand. My eye keeps falling there. Really cool work, can't wait to see it completed.

Bevahlee
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
If I were wanting a surprise in the flowers I would make her more like a flower. Here's my two cents worth.

Octopus Inc.
01-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Love what youve got going here so far... It's amazing to see an image with my eyes and my mind then to see what you've come up with in your drawing is so very different and i should say much better than what I had seen in my head. I look forward to your next post hopefully with another picture...

ianos dan
05-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Nice underpainting Black Spot ! l am amazed that it's made in acrylics,very capricious medium.
l think that ,if you want the girl to be the center of interest in your painting,you can do it,by simply fade away all the elements ,like flowers,and just to give more sharpness to the face of the girl.