PDA

View Full Version : "so, how long did it take you to paint that?"

jackiesimmonds
09-04-2012, 04:33 AM
I would like to know what you guys answer to that often-asked question "how long did it take you to paint that?". If I had a five pound note for every time I have been asked this, I would be a very rich artist by now. It exasperates me every time. The worst thing is, it is no good saying "fourty years" because they just say "no, seriously, how long did it take?" The determination to find out exactly how long it took is very strong. I have NEVER been able to work out a good response.

Why do they ask this? Is it because they judge the quality by the time it took? does it make them like the picture more if they think you slaved over it for months?

It sure pushes my buttons.

maryinasia
09-04-2012, 04:35 AM
I have to admit I ask people this when they are working on counted cross stitch pieces as a conversation starter. Many small shop owners here work on them in their spare time.

Colorix
09-04-2012, 06:07 AM
They may ask that for several reasons.

One is to just start the conversation, and then it works saying "I'm glad you like it", or something similar, a non-response -- even better, ask them a question. Open a conversation with them, about them and what they like to do. Whatever suits your culture to make them comfortable. (What a lovely weather we have today. :-)

Another reason would be to find out how much they can lower the price, or, as has happened to me, an acquaintance of Hubby's who wanted to sneer. They repeat their question, several times if needed. I've tried quipping "a lifetime and 3 hours", but that doesn't work, as they hear the "3 hours", and I can see how they start computing hourly gains. As in all other business, what sells has to pay for what doesn't, in terms of materials and man-hours (woman-hours), ongoing education, frames, etc, etc. People tend to not think about that, as few are entrepreneurs.

So, for the really persistent people I launch into: Well, first I get the idea, and then I sketch lots of thumbnails, sometimes up to 20 of them, to get a better grip of the idea. I do a lot of research, finding out if someone painted the idea before me, and I search for reference material. I may put up objects and take a picture of them, or if my idea is a still-life, I can spend a day arranging and re-arranging it. (By now their eyes start to look for rescue.) Once I'm happy with the set-up, I sketch again, from different angles. Then I find a suitable frame of the suitable size, and cut the paper to size, before drawing the outlines on the paper...

Usually their eyes have glazed over by then. And the idea that it is serious work which takes time has been assimilated, or rejected as it doesn't fit their preconceptions.

Now and then somebody is truly interested in the process. They tend to be artists in other mediums (or same).

bluefish
09-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Jackie

That is the #1 question asked of artist worldwide......I, like you, would be very weathy if I had five lbs(what's that? :lol: ) for every time I've heard that over the years.....

in their little minds, like Charlie said, they try to calculate your hourly rate....i.e. $1000 painting, 20 hours of labor= $50/hour.......:smug:

I have gotten around that by the use of my good buddy, Monet......I tell them that Monet had 8 paintings going at one time, but I'm no Monet, I only work on 6 at a time....have to let the 'brownish fuchsia' dry, so I go on to the next on, etc., therefore I have no accumulated hours per painting.....this has worked for me over the years.......they are impressed by my knowledge of Monet, chuckle at the comment, 'I'm no Monet', etc.......gets them out of the mental calculation question......

if you don't know Monet, it's O.K. to use 'blue instead....remember, he works on 6 at a time.....:rolleyes:

'blue :wave:

jackiesimmonds
09-04-2012, 09:37 AM
I love both of these answers! If I find I cannot bore them to death with overmuch detail, then i will try the 6/8 paintings at a time/Monet ploy.

Usually I say "a few weeks, on and off", that seems to shut most people up, or satisfy their need to somehow justify the cost in their own minds, but I have always felt that there must be a better response. (I could try "none of your business" I suppose, but I guess that might prevent the sale...as would "why on earth do you need to know?" both of which I have often been tempted to utter when feeling a bit button-pushed).

Charlie...I advise you NEVER to say the "and three hours" thing..even if it is true..because the questioner will instantly devalue your work.

I once did a demo piece for a TV programme. The announcer, during a 3-4 hour period, would come by, to show how I was getting on. I suppose she did this about four times. Imagine my horror when, at the end of the session, she said to the camera, despite knowing that her programme only lasted 30 minutes "!isn't it brilliant what this artist has managed to do during this programme! " I could have killed her.

I like the Monet idea. But how do you get round the fact that nothing has to dry with pastels, 'Blue?

Colorix
09-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Jackie, you're so right, and I discovered it the hard way. Never again!

Usually, that question is their way of starting the conversation, with anything that comes to mind. Like "is this oil painting?", or "Oh, I love your watercolours, how do you get them so rich in colour?", or something similar.

While selling things in my previous life, I was taught to answer a question very briefly, with no more than one sentence, and then immediately engage them in conversation. The answering part could be skipped, and engagement entered immediately. (Not matrimony, though... :-) The advice was: It is all about them, let them talk, ask questions to find out what they really like and want, and then help them to get it. (No, it was not cars, it was books.)

Works well for art too.

As I kind of like to talk... I really have had to rein myself in when people ask about art, as I could lecture endlessly. That one sentence response is a good rule for me. And then the question about them.

There's a good link somewhere, I'll PM it to you when I find it.

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2012, 12:19 PM
I've been stung by this question too - and I haven't come up with a good answer. I've always said a couple of days, but I can see where that would hurt a sale.

I guess I might try "why do you ask" the next time - judging on whether I think the person is truly interested in the painting and not just the cost.

Funny, I wonder if any of these people are "hourly" people or in "billable" careers where an hour equates to a certain price per hour.

bluefish
09-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Jackie

most of my large work is acrylic, so therefore the dry thing....even though they dry quicker than I like at times, most buyers don't know that and relate to slow drying oils......

I just completed a 'pan pastel' series for a gallery and publication and basically stacked them up in my bins and worked on them on and off much like I do with acrylics......

the concept of not completing start to finish is what this is all about......working on at different times, doesn't allow a 'timed piece'.....

before the dreadful economy, it was six today, six tomorrow, etc.....:wink2:

commission work is again questioned....'how long will it take you?'.....always have a backlog of work(in your head anyway) but tell them that they will be priortized, as some of the others aren't in a hurry......that gets around the time period......

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2012, 12:29 PM
blue, it sounds like you have this down to a science :)

jackiesimmonds
09-04-2012, 12:35 PM
yes, Kathryn, "a couple of days" immediately devalues the work in the buyer's mind, you can see it written all over their faces even if they nod sagely.

If the questioner knows nothing about painting, and the artist says "well, it can take me MONTHS to finish just one painting" the prospective buyer (or looker, as they so often are) instantly has a look of respect on their face. You can see them enjoying the "artist slaving away for little reward" romantic notion in their minds. that is FAR more appealing than thinking that the artist completed an image in a day or two...or especially, a few hours! You can almost hear the thought process....... What's so good about that? How does THAT justify that price? I am sure with a couple of lessons I could do as well as that anyway.....

There is no question in my mind....we have to think carefully about how to answer this barbed question, if we are to earn the respect of the questioner. Sad, but true.

Tho of course, there may well be some of us (I can think of some long-running threads here on WC actually) who do slave away for weeks on one image.........well, they have the perfect answer then.

Colorix
09-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Maybe it is permissible to post a link here? It is to a FASO newsletter, the author is Luann Udell: http://faso.com/fineartviews/36242/questions-you-dont-have-to-answer-how-long-did-that-take-you-to-make

The only thing I don't agree with is to tell a long story. I've found it works better with a very short one, or the one sentence response. Might be cultural differences, too. Americans are more open to chatting with strangers than Swedes are.

bluefish
09-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Charlie......I'll talk with anyone.....love it.....'want to buy a painting/" :lol:

Kat......you can say a science of 'learn and lick your wounds'.....been doing it awhile and luckily, have enjoyed a lot of success.....here I'm just passing along, what i've learned over the years.....but I'm an extrovert and have been blessed with the ability to be creative in my sales approach as well as my painting ability......BUT, I study the market, know what the forthcoming designers choice of colors (for that ladie's sofa) is, popular flowers that sell, frame types and colors that the current generation desire.......it's not a 'hit and miss' business.....if you are in it, you better be 'scientific' about it!.....

Charlie.....agree with you 100%......if you want to make that mortgage payment, you better know what Mrs Ginsburg's sofa color is....as stated in the other thread, be quite and sit in the corner with no sales.....:thumbsup:

jackiesimmonds
09-04-2012, 01:25 PM
'Blue....you've seen mine, and given them rude and funny names (in another forum)...... howsabout you show me yours?

allydoodle
09-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Talk about a quadruple edge knife......

If you say two hours, and it's a brilliant painting, you are a genious :smug: , but you can't charge too much..... it didn't take much time.......:evil:.

If you say weeks or months, and it's a brilliant a painting, you might be perceived as struggling and not very good at it because it took so long.....:eek: you should be an expert at this....

If you say two hours and it's a brilliant painting, and the client thinks it is "easy" (ha, ha!) for you to do, then you are over charging and they're not happy :crying: ...... you can just pop these paintings out with no trouble at all..... why are you charging so much...

If you say weeks or months and it's a brilliant painting, you almost can't charge enough, and if you charge too little you are de-valuing yourself (it took sooooo much time), and the "client" might think it's not worth it because the artist isn't charging enough..... :confused: geez........

I often times just say it takes what it takes, and each painting is different. Some paintings paint themselves, and others need to be tweaked and preened, there is no rhyme or reason to it...... they have a life of their own and as an artist I have to go with the flow....... I try to keep it as mysterious and clouded as I can while still maintaining some sense of professionalism and sanity :lol: .

I swear, I hate this question probably more than any other one, I have no smug, easy answer. I try to avoid it at all costs, though I do like 'blue's approach........ but pastels don't need to dry........

Colorix
09-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Blue, while we sip that Parisian absinth, I'll ask you about near future colour trends. Looks like they do like fashion, plan a couple of years ahead. The colour schemes of 2012 and 2014 are alredy decided on. Do they go even further?

Chris, you can wait for the pastels to get wet! :-D Actually, I like your answer, it is short and true. And adds to the Magick!

jackiesimmonds
09-04-2012, 02:44 PM
"I often times just say it takes what it takes, and each painting is different. Some paintings paint themselves, and others need to be tweaked and preened, there is no rhyme or reason to it...... they have a life of their own and as an artist I have to go with the flow....... I try to keep it as mysterious and clouded as I can while still maintaining some sense of professionalism and sanity"

Yes, I have sometimes resorted to being a bit mysterious..."well, to be honest, I never know how to answer that question because some paintings almost paint themselves, while others need much more time and attention. It is an almost impossible question to answer " (hint hint......hoping they "get" that what I am trying to say is that i would rather not answer , frankly). If they frown and still want an answer, they are just being bloody-minded.

I have sometimes said: "well, it is not an easy question to answer. I suppose an oil that size might take up to a few weeks, but that includes drying time between layers. pastels are more direct, there is no "waiting time" to take into account, so they usually do not take quite as long as oils. then, quite importantly, I go on to say "but they are more difficult, because you cannot mix colours on a palette. It can be quite a problem getting tones and colours just right". By this time, if their eyes don't glaze over, it usually gives them something to think about and they then forget about the "how long" part! Bit of psychology there, hey Charlie.

Well, no clear alternative answer from anyone your end as yet, so I am rather favouring the "took me quite a while,(nice and mysterious and how long is a piece of string...) but because I usually have more than one on the go...I never really can say how long with any accuracy". Short and sweet.

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I think I like "hard to say, I'm working on several paintings at a time and each one is different."

If they push, I'll just stare off into space.

bluefish
09-04-2012, 03:08 PM
gosh Jackie, I havent faced that requeat in over 50 years.....:lol: (show me yours)....I do know you mean my work......:wink2:

Charlie.....the designers in NYC today decide the hot color for 2014 is 'brownish fuchsia'......it goes into the design studios, fabric manufacturers,etc. and starts appearing in 1st class salons in early 2014 but doesn't get down to Mrs Ginsburgs sofa in the furniture store till 2016.....it's a full two year span before that specific color hits the general public....

so you have ample time to knock out some 'brownish fuchsia' paintings for the 2016 season.....:thumbsup:

'blue ......:wave:

bluefish
09-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Kat......got to maintain 'eye contact', can't look away.....smile nicely and change the subject.......I usually say somethink like "oh, that's a lovely sweater", or something you know they love hearing!:thumbsup:

Terry Wynn
09-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Jackie,

I am sorry you are asked that question. Frankly, I think it is totally inappropriate and a "bargaining" point more often than not. Imagine if we received a physician's bill for the amount of time you invest in a painting.

I am a rank amateur, still trying to learn the craft. I do thumbnails and find them helpful but of course it takes time, the amount of thought processes that one has before putting anything on paper is still significant for me, but I am finding at some point you go to the next step and start.

Also, people change, they have different things they want to explore in their art that might take more time. I sometimes think I know where I am going and then I am taking a step in a different direction. I learn something hopefully, but it is not always a "keeper". It goes to the closet for future purposes.

Even I have even been asked the same thing about paintings I have shown to people, but the people had no artistic inclination and it was kindly meant. I try to briefly explain that I don't keep track of the hours because my joy is in the painting. I am afraid I would discourage myself if I kept track of the time invested but I so enjoy the process and even if I have failures (a closet-keeper), I learn from them.

I hope you can find a reply that works for you. If I got a great result every time I paid a doctor's bill I know I would be happier for the money spent. I get no say in the charge nor the result. I would never dream of asking an artist how long a painting took. I never care how long they took, I know the process can be pure joy or trials and tribulations or a comination of them all, but I am always in awe that something of such beauty and originality has come to life.

Terry

SSB
09-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I must say you all sound a bit off whining about the manner in which patrons are showing interest in your art. I hope all of you appreciate their attention (well deserved of course!). If i ask an artist a question however small and simple and get either a non response or some manufactured statement I'm out of there quick. I also hate hearing artists complain about how much trouble and hassle something was (unless of course we are having a real conversation, where I am honest and open and interested in everything) whether it is making it or moving it or whatever. People are different I suppose. I can not feel like someone is attempting to direct me. The best art speaks for itself, in my opinion, and one only cheapens it by trying to present it in a contrived way.

So, this is how I deal with the question: with honesty!

A high school friend asked me just a couple of days ago how long it took me to draw a castle (14" x 30").

I responded "Way too long probably, because I drew it about six times trying to get it right."
He said "It's really good, how much?"
I said "for you, $200, if it is a friend of yours tell them $350."

So, maybe not the greatest response and I broke my own peeve by implying it was a drag to draw it over and over again, but it was the TRUTH, and that is what I always prefer for myself. I find it easy and free. I was excited he thought it was good and not annoyed at all that someone noticed. I am the artist's assistant, not a big shot star with bunches of tiring fans asking obtuse questions that are beneath me to answer so it worked out well for me!

PS: This isn't an indictment of you all, just trying to offer up another perspective: be happy anyone is looking at all!

PPS: The real artist showed the same friend a pastel of a bird (on the super surface pastelmat, which lends itself to realism IMO) and exclaimed "wow, it looks like a picture!" Would that upset you guys? He didn't ask how long, though, just how much!!!

adventureartist
09-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I loved Charlie's "tiring, on and on" answer...love the humor. And I am at this stage in life where I'm really tired of people's judgements and preconceptions about what it takes to produce artwork, so I tell the truth as I always have. If it took me 40 minutes or a day I tell em cause I really don't care what they think if they are going to do the "minutes/hours/days = so much in $$ deal". Their judgements and the limitations they impose on what they perceive to be worthy artwork and worthy prices have not a thing to do with my journey in life, but theirs. If they like it, then they usually buy it no matter how much time I spent making it. And if they really like it there is no quibbling about price. I am a reasonable person, and have no reason to doubt my prices.

bluefish
09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
pricing is another 'can of worms'......:lol: ,,,,,but better saved for another thread......:wink2:

crazywoman53
09-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I have several times thought about writing down a set of times for the 15 min. here, 2 hours there, 5 later, night time pondering, thinking while driving etc. etc. and when they ask hand them the sheet and ask them to tally it up for me. ... Ok lol.. I would never do that but sure would be funny to see the look on their face.

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Kat......got to maintain 'eye contact', can't look away.....smile nicely and change the subject.......I usually say somethink like "oh, that's a lovely sweater", or something you know they love hearing!:thumbsup:

You definitely are a salesman :thumbsup:

Sonni
09-04-2012, 11:50 PM
I just grin and say "all my life." If the question comes around again (and sometimes it does), I say, four years of art school, a half century of living, a few bonfires, and some real intense workshops. That usually does it. If not, they get the smile, the card and my back--and I keep on painting. I don't want to encourage them to tell their life stories and hopes of an artistic career.

rugman
09-05-2012, 12:14 AM
"It took me many years of hard work, learning, and preserverance to be able to paint this", "glad you like it" :)

Jayde
09-05-2012, 03:15 AM
Funnily enough I recently did a head study of my father which was one of those rare "rolled off the canvas" works. He asked me how long it took and I told him about 2 hours. He was impressed, but what I didn't mention was that I struggled with the previous 5 or 6 studies and binned them in disgust! So perhaps I should have included the time I spent producing failures before finally producing something half decent!

jackiesimmonds
09-05-2012, 04:13 AM
I must say you all sound a bit off whining about the manner in which patrons are showing interest in your art.
PS: This isn't an indictment of you all, just trying to offer up another perspective: be happy anyone is looking at all!

PPS: The real artist showed the same friend a pastel of a bird (on the super surface pastelmat, which lends itself to realism IMO) and exclaimed "wow, it looks like a picture!" Would that upset you guys? He didn't ask how long, though, just how much!!!

Well, the top two sentences rather contradict each other. It may sound like whining...but actually, it is a genuine desire to find a good answer! I am always delighted when someone shows interest in my work, but that does not stop my heart sinking when that question pops out of their mouths, because it is such a barbed question, with all sorts of repercussions if you answer it inadequately. Honesty is not always the best response, as Chris discovered when she tried the "30 years and 3 hours" answer. I am afraid that once you begin to show your work regularly, you will be faced with this question on a regular basis, and the fact remains that that people often do judge a painting by how long it took to paint, and this can be a frustration when trying to price and sell paintings. The length of time a painting takes to create should not need to be discussed at all in an ideal world. So any whining is, in my opinion, perfectly justified!

As for your PPS, if someone says "oh that looks like a photo", the response must depend on the artist and their intention for the painting. I imagine those trying for photo-realism would be thrilled to bits. For me.... I am not trying for photo-realism at all, I want my work to look painterly, so I would be less than thrilled.

Colorix
09-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Quod est veritas? (Very famous quote.)

One thing to be aware of on forums is that the written word doesn't always convey wry humour and tounge-in-cheek, and the wink of the eye.

By all means, let's speak the truth, and the *whole* truth, which includes the funny (both ha-ha and peculiar) reactions of people who visit (or are dragged there by a spouse/friend/etc) our exhibitions.

The truth is that people do have their own hangups, quirks, trauma, whatever -- and they do behave in peculiar ways. As a professional, it is important to know how to handle them -- it is a needed skill to acquire. And it is great that we can give each other ideas of what works and what doesn't.

And I feel very happy when someone likes my paintings enough to want to take it home ("look, Honey, it followed me home" :-) and pay for it. Looking is free, expressing delight is free, and true appreciation is shown when the wallet is opened. Then I know that a painting has touched the person's soul. *That* gladdens my heart.

Or, I can know that the painting matches the colour scheme of their livingroom. ;-)

westcoast_Mike
09-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I gotta go with Charlie on this one, the shorter the answer the better. I usually say something along the lines of “Gee, it depends on the piece. Could be a few hours, could be a few days”. I don’t worry about them trying to justify a price based on a preconception of the time it took. If they want to haggle, I stick to my guns (within reason). The quick response on that is “If I sell it to you for XYZ, then I have just devalued the work I’ve sold to my other Clients at my going rate”. When it come down to it. I think a lot of Artist over analyzes this. I know of one Artist, who does wonderful plein air work, but won’t enter PA competitions because he doesn’t want his Clients to know how long it takes to complete a piece. You know what, maybe he feels he has all the work he needs, but it’s is Gallery Owners that come to these completions as well as Collectors. And they are looking for new talent.

jackiesimmonds
09-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Yes, we have the choice. Short and sweet, or long and hopefully boring.

Fun!

SueP
09-06-2012, 04:18 PM
1. If a possible customer wanted to haggle, I would walk away. I really wouldn't want my work on their wall.
2. Nobody has mentioned the 'living with the painting' amount of time; I say 'I do my research, I start the painting, I live with it on the wall for a while until it tells me what to do next, then I do some more..............' etc. I reckon that 'living with the picture' is very similar to my past as an interior designer, when the most valuable parts of the job were the ideas I dreamed up in the bath! You can't put money on that!:)
Sue

Colorix
09-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Sue, I have a "staring period", when I put the painting somewhere easily visible (kitchen, on the TV, over the computer), and I stare at it. Waiting for it to tell me what it needs. If it is silent for a week, I consider it done. (And then I discover something about it some 6 months later...)

bluefish
09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Charlie.......I have the same one week 'stare at it' period.....if not sold before:lol: .........going by it help pick up little nuances that require attention......very good point.....

SueP......you wouldn't do well selling in the NYC area market......they require 'a deal'.........so I mark my paintings up, they get their deal and we both go away happy........:D

Adrian Setterfield
09-06-2012, 04:44 PM
I get this one a lot too, but only with my ceramic crafts because the paintings are up for barter and not for sale...what works for me sometimes is "if you-re trying to work out what you-re paying for then consider -experience- because in this case that is what you-re paying for So it does not matter how long it took now...or does it?" and then they either get a conversation going and further down the line I add " I work out of time"...this usually stops their habitual way of responding to the -time- issue. But yes, mostly its a PITA kind of question

Dea
09-07-2012, 06:04 AM
This is a really good question Jackie, a couple of girls at work asked me this the other day. I said it's hard to say because I don't sit down and paint for eight hours, sometimes I just walk past do a bit and keep going :)
I like Charlie's suggestion or if you are one of those born salesmen then I reckon Blue's got the right idea,
Deanna

jackiesimmonds
09-08-2012, 07:53 AM
i am not at all surprised you were asked this Deanna, it will crop up time and again, you'll see.

Jackie

PeggyB
09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
This question doesn't bother me at all. It invites conversation, and I can honestly say, "I really don't know because I don't keep track of time." If they presist, I repeat the statement, and then add I take breaks to do other things be it housework, read the newspaper, read email, another painting, etc. This is the truth! I then invite questions regarding the work or pastels in general. If they are interested in buying something, they will. If not interested, I haven't wasted a whole lot of energy wondering if they are going to try to talk me into a lower price because they think I've not spent much time painting.
Peggy

jackiesimmonds
09-09-2012, 06:21 AM
good one Peggy

thevaliantx
09-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Piece: "Here she comes again, I've had it! She's always changing me around, things just aren't stable!"

Canvas: "You know, she annoys me, too. I can't stand that brand of pastel she uses! You know what?

Piece: "Wait, are you attacking me or her? She's muttering something and getting closer!"

Canvas: "Just don't say anything at all! She claims that Swedish aren't very chatty, we'll show her!"

jackiesimmonds
09-12-2012, 02:56 AM
!!! My imagination now running away with me and am feeling nervous to enter the studio....

Colorix
09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
@thevaliantx: :D Yep, them cheeky things do talk back, but I show them who's Boss! Worst is when they're sneaky, and keep mum for half a year before smirking :smug: "by the way, did you notice I changed that part for you so now it is clumsy and ugly?"

And, regarding the topic ( :eek: ), if one knows how to handle the situation, it really becomes a piece of cake.

Jackie, did you get The Question?

jackiesimmonds
09-12-2012, 06:21 PM
yep, sure did. I waffled, and it went away eventually.

PeggyB
09-12-2012, 06:48 PM
good one Peggy

Thanks Jackie. I like "simple". :)

What's that you are saying? Talking artwork? Mine doesn't seem to be brave enough to talk back to me as I've never heard a peep. Then again maybe they think clients are much better judges of worth than I am, and they see no need to respond. :lol:

I on the other hand I frequently mutter and remark constantly as I'm working on them.
Peggy: You ugly piece of junk! What's wrong with this composition!!?
Piece: Silence
Peggy: Where's that *&$! piece of pastel I just used!
Peggy: Argh! I hate the ugly stage, I'll never work through it!
Peggy: Well now that's better. I think I like this one after all.
Piece: Silence!

jackiesimmonds
09-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Love it Peggy. Actually, the dialogue takes place with ourselves, doesn't it. That is why I cannot work with music going on. It's because there is a constant conversation/battle going on in my head!!! And between me and my hand. It is never quite the same twice, depends on what's happening on the paper, but for me, the conversation goes a bit more like this:

"ah, now that's rather nice, lovely loose start"
"oops, that bit is all wrong proportions, how on earth did I manage that?"
"ok better now....but now look at THAT bit, yuk!"
"well, that makes a huge difference".
"yes, but I don't like it"
"!*!!!+X!!!$!!!&***" = "flaming heck what is the matter with you Jackie"
"ok let's brush all of that off and start again"
"phew that's a bit better. Bet nobody wants to buy it tho........"

I am not sure what is worse. Talking to myself, or talking to someone who wants to know how long it took..............

bluefish
09-13-2012, 08:09 AM
wow......that's why I ALWAYS work with music on.......MGM misical hits, jazz, Diana Kroll, Tony Bennett, etc..........only talk to customers....i.e. "Want to buy a painting?" :lol: