PDA

View Full Version : Surface Prep???

KamaraDesigns
08-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Hi! I'm pretty new to acrylics (I've done two paintings) but I'd like to start using acrylics in conjunction with my pastel work (as a background and for underpainting). I was curious about surface preparation. I have quite a bit of Hot Press finished Bainbridge Board I inherited from a friend. I was wondering what I could do to use this in a acrylic/pastel painting. I have clear gesso I use with pastel paper to add tooth and I was wondering if I could prepare the Bainbridge board using this as well. The acrylic would be used as washes and fairly thin.

Thanks!! Kim

talkingbanana
08-09-2003, 01:24 AM
Should work. Acrylics don't necessairly need gesso; they can go on just about anything.

KamaraDesigns
08-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Won't acrylics warp the board without the gesso??? Just curious.

I did go ahead and apply a clear gesso and sand mixture to one side (more texture for the pastels) and just gesso on the back. There was some warping when I only gessoed one side. Once I gessoed the back the board flattened out.

Thanks, Kim

Leslie Pz
08-09-2003, 11:26 AM
I've had boards warp, even with gesso... it depends how wet you make it; I used a LOT of water and that tends to dampen the gesso, a bit too.

In the case of warping, place the painting flat and let it dry completely. Should flatten out, again. In the past, it's worked for me.

Good luck!
-Les

PS When I first started painting, I was once told that acrylics will slide off "the" surface without a gesso-ed surface... that's never happened to me but did scare me, at first!

chucks888
08-09-2003, 05:39 PM
As recommended by every illustration teacher I've had- cold press illustration board is what you'll want to use with acrylics. Why? I'm not really sure. Hot press yields a smoother slick surface which I don't personally like, so I don't argue :D

KamaraDesigns
08-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Leslie Pz
I've had boards warp, even with gesso... it depends how wet you make it; I used a LOT of water and that tends to dampen the gesso, a bit too.

In the case of warping, place the painting flat and let it dry completely. Should flatten out, again. In the past, it's worked for me.

Good luck!
-Les

PS When I first started painting, I was once told that acrylics will slide off "the" surface without a gesso-ed surface... that's never happened to me but did scare me, at first!

Thanks for the info. I found in a pastel book in a section about surface preparation that if warping occurs with illustration board you should leave the board to dry out and it will flatten itself out again. Looks like that's the case!!

Wow..never heard that acrylics would slide off a board before?? That would scare me too!! :) Kim

KamaraDesigns
08-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by chucks888
As recommended by every illustration teacher I've had- cold press illustration board is what you'll want to use with acrylics. Why? I'm not really sure. Hot press yields a smoother slick surface which I don't personally like, so I don't argue :D

Maybe the having the smoother surface makes it more difficult for the acrylics to grab on. I thought illustration board was mostly used with pen and ink...shows you how little I know!! :) Kim

Keith Russell
08-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Good morning.

I paint using unprepared, double-thick, Crescent 9208, hot-press, 100 percent rag, illustration board. Now, most of my work is done with airbrush, so the paint isn't very wet, and I've had no problem with warping.

If you are using a single-thickness illustration board, switch to the double-thickness.

But, I use lots of jar acrylics, and tube acrylics for details, textured areas (often applied impasto with palette knives), and I've still never had any problem with warping.

One more thing, some acrylic varnishes are non-flexible. This means that, if you have applied them to a warped board, and then you try to flatten the board, the varnish will crack. Also, if the varnish warps the board as it dries, it will crack.

Use a varnish that is flexible when dry...

K

KamaraDesigns
08-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info!! I knew with some varnished there would be issues with cracking, but I hadn't thought it through with illustration boards (only with canvases which usually don't warp). They way I plan on using the acrylics is as an underpainting, so it's really an acrylic wash.

Thanks again!!

Kim