PDA

View Full Version : a word about greens

jackiesimmonds
08-07-2003, 02:47 AM
I did post this elsewhere,but feel it is useful enough to warrant a new topic, to ensure it gets seen:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

while reading thro some threads and websites all about colour, doing some research, I came across this quote from The School of Light and Colour website:

"Q : How can I learn to paint a landscape that's primarily green?

A : When painting grasses, trees, and bushes, the color green often dominates. One general rule to follow is to stay away from using green for as long as possible. Begin the first stages with warm colors in the sunlit areas i.e., yellow, orange, red, or pink. Use cool colors (except green) in the shadows i.e.., blue, purple, or magenta. By doing this you have a foundation of color that is not the local color of green. If everything starts with green it will simply end up to be a painting of local color."

Interesting huh?

http://www.lightandcolor.com/index_news.htm

Jackie

Dark_Shades
08-07-2003, 02:54 AM
Hi Jackie...... dont worry, this one and the other is definately going to get read :D ....... lol, you are just giving me so much to do and think about and read.....just haven't had time to respond....... , but I will dont worry......
Just shooting off to work...... but I'll be back :)

Mystiq
08-07-2003, 03:52 AM
Thank you Jackie,
I am pasting this information into my journal right now :D
And thank you also very much for the link to the School of Light & Colour website... What a fabulous site. I'm busy finding fantastic and helpful tips there. I need all the help I can get :p
~*Tracy*~

meowmeow
08-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Verrrry interesting....it makes sense too. I will try to do that more...not slap those greens down so quickly.
Thanks Jackie!

Sandy

Dyin
08-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Excellent advice and link...I tend to shy from landscapes but one day will venture there...this will be good to remember.

MKathleen
08-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Hi Jackie:
Thank you, I know a lot of artists have trouble with painting the color green. I did until I realize the beautiful colors of red and orange and their tints when added to and around green make for a beautiful landscape painting.
Also when planning a landscape you can lay down a wash of green or red to begin with--then start your landscape. Leaving some of that wash to show makes your work easier.
Best,
Kathy:)

Dark_Shades
08-07-2003, 12:53 PM
I was thinking..... perhaps we should make this the 'Green ' thread......... anyone who normally struggles with using Green ..... post their attempts in using this theory here.... or perhaps someone wants to start a project

.... what say thee