PDA

View Full Version : Arches 1114 lb. Cold Press?

Cyntada
09-03-2012, 12:49 AM
I was just looking around deciding if I want to buy some Arches Rough, and noticed Art Supply Warehouse offering Arches 1114lb cold press (http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-art-supplies/paper-and-sketchbooks/watercolor-sheets-and-blocks/arches/sheets/natural-white/arches-watercolor-paper-1114-lb-cold-press-10-pack-natural-white.html)... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously? Over 10 times thicker than humble 90lb? That must be some piece of watercolor paper, I thought 300lb was thick as a board as it is. Anyone tried it?

I would, but even a single sheet of that is a bit outside my budget at the moment :D

SSB
09-03-2012, 01:38 AM
It is about the same thickness as a 140# paper. Don't fall for it.

juneto
09-03-2012, 01:51 AM
It must be a Typo error .:confused: :eek:
June

Cease-Fire
09-03-2012, 01:59 AM
" Available in sheets, pads, blocks, and rolls"

Rolls? It would be like 1/4" thick, kind of hard to roll that up.

Iuvien
09-03-2012, 03:26 AM
Heh, I giggled, thinking you typoed the title. Then your post had the same typo. Then the store has the same typo?!... ok now I'm confused. There is no way they make paper like that, someone must have made a mistake on that site and the price was probably calculated automatically. I assume you usually pay 5 dollars for a sheet and not 50. I hope :D

M.L. Schaefer
09-03-2012, 11:55 AM
About $1,000 for a ten pack!!!!! On sale for just under $600 for a ten pack!!!!! Oh my, Oh my, Oh my!

:eek: :eek: :eek: And Good Grief! yes, that is $50 a sheet on sale! (now that would put angst into my art)!! So, if you want something that thick, try some board, try some canvas....whole lot of choices out there besides $50 a sheet paper! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

janinco
09-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Wow, I did some searching and several places do carry it. I can't even imagine spending that much on a sheet, but it looks like it is mainly used by acrylic artists who are painting on paper. That I guess I can understand, although it's still a lot more expensive than canvas. At least you can correct mistakes - there's no way paper that dear is going to wind up in the trash bin!

Jan

skappy
09-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Never heard of that the thicker I know is 640 Gr
Robert

Mayberry
09-03-2012, 01:18 PM
It's not actually super thick paper. I read somewhere that Arches is calling it 1114 lb based on the weight of a ream of that size (40"x60") paper.

A quote from Dick Blick:

Paper Weight
Thicker or heavier papers can handle more water or paint without buckling, curling or falling apart. Traditionally, papers are measured by the weight in pounds of one ream, approximately 500 sheets. If a paper comes in different sizes, its weight will vary even though the thickness has not changed. Each paper type uses a certain size as its "standard." A ream of standard 22" x 30" watercolor paper (500 sheets) would weigh 300 lbs. The very same thickness paper in a 40" x 60" sheet would have a weight of 1,114 lbs. for the ream of paper. Its weight changed due to the size of the sheets, not the paper's thickness, but the paper is still designated as 300-lb.

http://www.dickblick.com/productinfo/learn/paper/

janinco
09-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Cathy, thanks for the information. It looks like that's the largest sheet of watercolor paper you can get (vs rolls). But are they saying it would it be equivalent to 300 lb?

Jan

Mayberry
09-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Yeah, they're saying it's the thickness of 300 lb.

SSB
09-03-2012, 02:50 PM
About $1,000 for a ten pack!!!!! On sale for just under $600 for a ten pack!!!!! Oh my, Oh my, Oh my!

:eek: :eek: :eek: And Good Grief! yes, that is $50 a sheet on sale! (now that would put angst into my art)!! So, if you want something that thick, try some board, try some canvas....whole lot of choices out there besides $50 a sheet paper! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thats what I meant sorry I was in a hurry.

M.L. Schaefer
09-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Well, I guess I should have said "that large" and not "that thick!" I'm thinking some canvas would work as well? Even if it is super-size, it is still way to pricey (unless you are a successfully selling artist or one with mucho bucks who loves to dabble). Me, I would need a whole room (sans cats or dog) and paint flat on the floor! Glad I'm miserly! One less thing to worry about!

SSB
09-04-2012, 01:03 AM
It's not actually super thick paper. I read somewhere that Arches is calling it 1114 lb based on the weight of a ream of that size (40"x60") paper.

A quote from Dick Blick:

Paper Weight
Thicker or heavier papers can handle more water or paint without buckling, curling or falling apart. Traditionally, papers are measured by the weight in pounds of one ream, approximately 500 sheets. If a paper comes in different sizes, its weight will vary even though the thickness has not changed. Each paper type uses a certain size as its "standard." A ream of standard 22" x 30" watercolor paper (500 sheets) would weigh 300 lbs. The very same thickness paper in a 40" x 60" sheet would have a weight of 1,114 lbs. for the ream of paper. Its weight changed due to the size of the sheets, not the paper's thickness, but the paper is still designated as 300-lb.

this is what I mean to say. the sheets are 140lb

Cyntada
09-04-2012, 01:26 AM
I got a look at the stuff tonight, ironically at a local shop call Art Supply Warehouse that has nothing to do with aswexpress.com. Based on a gentle thumb-flick comparison, I'd say it's about as thick as 300lb just like you all said. I totally understand the pounds-per-ream thing, but given that we're kind of conditoned to think pounds=thickness, you'd think they'd develop a grading system that ran independent of sheet size... but what do I know?

Still, I might try it someday, if I ever won the lottery!

claude j greengrass
09-04-2012, 03:10 PM
...I totally understand the pounds-per-ream thing, but given that we're kind of conditoned to think pounds=thickness, you'd think they'd develop a grading system that ran independent of sheet size... but what do I know? ...

They did. It's called 'the metric system'. Paper weights-thickness is described as GSM, grams per meter or more fully grams per square meter. It is independent of sheet size, so an Emperor (40x60) 1114 lb sheet is 640 gsm and an Imperial (22xx30) 300 lb is 640 gsm.

Cyntada
09-04-2012, 11:57 PM
They did. It's called 'the metric system'.

Oh... duh! :o Leave it to the metric system to bring order to an otherwise-random way of defining things.

Thanks for the lesson! :wave:

Neeman
09-06-2012, 07:38 AM

A quote from Dick Blick:

Paper Weight

Correct

The best way to know the Bias Weight of paper is not to use the Imperial measurement per ream but to use the metric g/m2
Arches will tell you on their website this paper