PDA

View Full Version : Made improvements to my online journal

Cathy Morgan
08-06-2003, 04:02 PM
I added a search form since my entries now range over several months and a lot of different topics related to creativity, dreams, blacksmith training, and more.

Also added an email subscription form. That way, if you like to read the journal but usually forget to check the weblog site, you'll automatically get new entries by email.

Since my partner and I watch so many videos and DVDs, I decided to add a new category reviewing them. We see some great ones I'd like to tell people about, and start watching some awful ones too. Your taste may or may not coincide with mine, but I'll try to explain why I like or dislike a film.

If you have any desire to try a weblog yourself, I still recommend it. I find it a creativity booster. It's like a 24/7 creativity coach. It always listens, and never rejects what I write. :) And it's fast and easy with weblog software like Radio Userland or Blogger. (There are other good weblog sites too, or you can add a weblog to your main website.)

DanaT
08-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks for sharing Cathy. I may have asked you before but what's the difference between a journal and a weblog?

Cathy Morgan
08-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by DanaT
...what's the difference between a journal and a weblog?

I think there's a big overlap. You could have a weblog that wasn't a journal really. For example "web pages that suck" is a weblog but I wouldn't call it a journal. There are lots of computer tech weblogs that are news about computers, programming, etc.

And you could have an online journal that's not a weblog. The woman who scans in her beautiful journal pages and posts them regularly (daily?) has an online journal but I don't think it's a weblog exactly.

Mine is really both. I use Radio Userland weblog software, and I have it hosted with Radio Userland too. I call it an online journal because I intend it as a journal - and I don't respond to other weblogs and websites as much as many weblogs do. (Part of the idea of a weblog is that it's easy to quote and comment on other people's weblogs.) Maybe I'll develop this weblog aspect more in the future.

I don't think I clarifies this much, but it's really an ambiguous thing.

DanaT
08-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks Cathy. I get your drift :p

I was thinking of starting one myself but I'd want to put sketches in it.

nytefall
08-10-2003, 02:41 PM
I was tempted to do something like this myself. Thanks for the information! :)

Cathy Morgan
08-10-2003, 04:57 PM
That's no problem. I think there are a few blogging sites or software that won't let you add images, but most will. Radio Userland makes it simple. (OK, it's simple once you get the hang of it.)