PDA

View Full Version : pastel pencils...

Tweety
08-06-2003, 11:07 AM
I have never used pastel pencils, was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are like??????
Are they like a oil pastel or chalk like? Or maybe there are both types?????

Thank you much......:)

Deborah Secor
08-06-2003, 11:18 AM
I've used several kinds of pastel pencils and the ones I prefer currently are the Cretacolors. They're soft pastel types, not oil. (I don't think there are oil pastel pencils, but I could be wrong...)

I used to use the Carb Othello pencils, which are a bit softer, but that isn't really the right word... let's see...um... they give a smushier line than the Creatacolors when put down on plain paper but when I use them with other pastels they seem to make a line that stands a bit apart.

I like the Cretas because they can be sharpened nicely (I use a knife to sharpen them) and when I put them into or over other soft pastels they don't carve a sharp line into them but seem to marry together. I don't use them alone, only with others and I work with the softest pastels to do my work--Schminckes, Great Americans, Unisons.

I'd suggest picking up one or two colors from several different brands and trying them to see which you like before investing in a set.

Hope this helps...

Dyin
08-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the forum Tweety! Different people have different results...I never liked pastel pencils...tried many...just no luck with them...sort of smooshy lines it seemed, but some do lovely work with it...I got a nice set of Creatacolors but they just sit there unused...I use prismacolor pencils mostly, if I can't get a teeny little spot...

Tweety
08-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Thank - You for the info.
I purchased a set of soft pastels not to long ago, but have never really tried them. I use the oils.....
Are the soft "chalks" easy to use? Do you have a pic you can send me that you have done in the soft pastels?
I am interested in using them, just never have....

Thanx,

Artistammy
08-06-2003, 12:07 PM
I use them when I want to do fine details or lines. They feel like a cross between colored pencils & soft pastel.
Most of the pics on this forum are done in soft pastel. You can also look at some of our websites for more. I love the soft pastel. It seems easy to use to me. lol Try them & have fun.

Dark_Shades
08-06-2003, 12:39 PM
Most of my artwork for nearly the year here was using Pastel Pencils...... Love Em :D ..... mine are Faber Castell, which are more harder, and would say more of the chalk type consistency... have a few Derwents, which are softer more creamy buttery - but as time wore on, and I wanted to fill e.g backgrounds and larger areas..... pencils can be laborious and incorporate now more 'pastels'....... but always somewhere in there are still the pencils..... they are great for detail and small works, as the harder types can be sharpened with a craft knife to a very fine point.... they are very long lasting too