PDA

View Full Version : scraping layered acrylic painting

stevenb
08-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Hello - I hope someone can help me. I want to paint multiple layers of acrylic and then to create a weathered look by scraping down to various depths to reveal different layers without scraping to the support. Are there special tools? Is there a medium to protect layers that I don't want to scrape through? Are there mediums or tricks to make a layer easier to scrape through without going through layers beneath it?

the redhead
08-06-2003, 01:25 PM
I have used both vaseline and rubber cement in areas to prevent one layer from sticking to the layer beneath...then after the paint is dry-- rubbing off where the rubber cement was. Actually looked very authentically weathered. Vaseline will leave a permanent film, though, I would think,affecting any additional layers. A rubber cement type of material is best.

If the layers of paint that you apply are too thick, when you peel away the rubber cement, the paint can continue to just peel away too, in a thick stretchy plastic skin...So make sure your layers of paint are thin enough to stick to each other where you want them to.