PDA

View Full Version : Neon Pastels?

Nitz26
09-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Hey all new to pastel and just barely getting acquainted with the medium but wondering if any company makes a neon pastel set as I haven't seen any, recently saw a pic that looks like the color is just too vibrant to be pastel can't figure it out, anyone?

*Deirdre*
09-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Hello Nitz26, Welcome to the Pastel Forum.:wave: I haven't seen any Neon pastels...but I expect someone has...most queries are answered in the Talk Section.

I've moved your question to our Talk section, as that is where it belongs...but I have left a redirect from the Gallery/Studio section in case you need it.

Have a look at the top of this section to see some information, in our welcome thread, (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814221) that you will find useful here. :D

Deb F
09-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi Nitz26-- what a thought provoking (well, for me anyway) question you have posed. It makes me wonder exactly what makes a color "neon". I know I have some awfully bright colors in my collection but I don't think they are neon. Maybe some of our color gurus could weigh in on this.

averagejane
09-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Not sure about neon but Mungyo and Diane Townsend both have some fluorescent colors.

Nitz26
09-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Sorry bout the mispost really though i had right forum

Really thought the answer the the op was gonna be a resounding NO, i havnt seen anything close to neon or fluorescent yet locally but i came across a pic that looks like its done in soft pastel and possibly pastel pencils but the color/effect look so vibrant i swore it was photoshopped at first but now im not sure, can anyone confirm this is a pastel work and possibly whats used ive never seen colors this bright that blend together like this though granted im new to pastels
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2012/1115652-oil,pastel,art,color,interesting,nice,colorful.jpg

allydoodle
09-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I can't say for sure what it is in this photo, but I can attest to the fact that pastels can be pretty bright and colorful. They are pure pigment, I know I've got some pretty intense colors in my palette.

The pencils in this photo look like Conte, and I know they're pretty intense, I have a full set, maybe that's what the pencils are. I can't quite make out what make the pastels are, not at all sure. Maybe somebody else will check in here and recognize them. The ones that are round might be Schmincke, but the square ones I can't figure out at all. I was thinking Great Americans (which are square), but they're not quite that long, and the labels look different....

I know Senellier makes metallic and iridescent colors, Great American makes pearlescent colors, and Diane Townsend makes metallic.

*Deirdre*
09-01-2012, 07:06 PM
It looks like OIL Pastels - According to the Keywords attached to the picture...would you like me to move this thread to the OIL Pastel Forum?:D

Having said that...the background to this picture is quite dark...automatically enhances anything light or bright against it...and yes, the effect could be achieved with soft pastels too!

Colorix
09-01-2012, 07:28 PM
It is all in the values, and colour, used.

DAK723
09-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Yes, I don't see any colors in the example that are more intense than regular soft pastels. Generally speaking, the softer the pastel, the more intense the color as there will be less binder and more pigment.

Don

Nitz26
09-01-2012, 11:48 PM
I have a 2 diffrent copies of this pic neither from the original source ones keywords list it as oil pastel one lists it as chalk pastel but with all the dust on the paper I gotta assume oil is out or am I just dead wrong here?

Appreciate all the input so far there's more to look into than I realized

*Deirdre*
09-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Could you find the picture in the thread it was uploaded in? 2 reasons...1 it is normal to cite the author/artist. 2ndly, artists tend to favour either soft pastels or oil pastels, we don't normally do both at once....so if the picture was done by a regular user of one forum it would be easier to ask!:D

britgirl
09-02-2012, 08:56 AM
The square ones are Mungyo. I know they have some fluorescent ones in their collection, I saw them last time I went to DeSerres (Canada). Having said that, they actually look just like "brights" on black paper. I use black paper quite often, and it really makes the colours "pop".

Sharon

mudfish
09-02-2012, 12:10 PM
There are four in the Mungyo 72 set. I tried these recently just b/c the cost is so low, and I like them. They are quite hard.

journeysketcher
09-02-2012, 12:45 PM
check out Diane Townsend's fluorescent soft pastels.
they may be a little pricey.

Studio-1-F
09-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Townsend calls them "Exotics". Color chart is here. (http://www.townsendpastels.com/SFEXOT48conts.html)

Mt Vision also has a set called 'Chromatic' that also might be what you're looking for. Chart here. (http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/setlists10/mvschrom25.htm)

Jan

Nitz26
09-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Both copies were found from flickr type image repositories so I couldn't credit him/her as I don't know who's it is woulda made it a lot easier tho, the way I wrote it I wasn't sure anyone was gonna get what I was asking about oil/soft pastel being used together so thanks there
Really appreciate all the input from everyone haven't touched pastels in prob 10-15 years and from what I remembered it was the pale what I would call pastel colors and dark colors neither of which looked quite right

*Deirdre*
09-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Both copies were found from flickr type image repositories so I couldn't credit him/her as I don't know who's it is woulda made it a lot easier tho, the way I wrote it I wasn't sure anyone was gonna get what I was asking about oil/soft pastel being used together so thanks there
Really appreciate all the input from everyone haven't touched pastels in prob 10-15 years and from what I remembered it was the pale what I would call pastel colors and dark colors neither of which looked quite right
We advise - if the rights to publish/republish aren't yours, that you get the url of where it is published, and post that on it's own, that way,you adhere to our user-agreement.

Five
09-14-2012, 11:29 PM
I have a set of 12 square Fluorescent Pastels.
The name on the box - Weber Costello, Chicago, Il.
It is stated that they are non-toxic.
I paid $3.60 for them (marked down from $4.80)- a very long time ago.
They are mostly shades of yellow, orange and red, with only 1 blue, a green and a yellow-green. I haven't used them. Been trying to figure a way to incorporate them with regular pastels. So far it just hasn't worked. They are just too bright.