http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/jun6053/2b7e9e02.jpg

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/jun6053/12a69e81.jpg

so far so good right?

jp6053
08-31-2012, 07:01 PM
the left eye kinda looks off a lil

Debzy
08-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi there again jp6053! Again you are on the right track, I think you could lessen the length of the chin fractionally and soften it, it looks just a smidge too long making it look more angular than it is. Also I would lighten the gaps / lines between the teeth a little, they are barely visible and the gap between top and bottom teeth. Then lighten the eyebrows. If you are darkening the whole face though, these may not be as obvious. in order to get the highlights on the face I think you will need to darken the face more anyway and the shadows. I will see how you get on with it. It is once again a very good drawing. Cheers =)) Debs.

jp6053
08-31-2012, 10:56 PM
I took your advice and fix the gaps with the teeth and darkened the portrait a bit. I'm just not used to using dark values much. i appreciate the feedback.

Debzy
09-01-2012, 12:31 AM
You're very welcome! Keep posting updates and the wonderful people on WC will help and advise as you progress! Cheers and lovely wok! =)) Debs.

jp6053
09-01-2012, 12:16 PM
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/jun6053/333f8e38.jpg

here is an update..

i was wondering how i can make the hair better?

Debzy
09-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi. I just lost a whole post I sent through to help you, no idea why but I was given a forbidden notice!!!! :(
So I will try again and hope I remember everything I suggested.
Firstly, You are doing a great job! :clap: To improve the hair, there needs to be some fine streaks of darker hair through the highlights. It looks like blocks at the moment, giving it a stiff unnatural look. There are some good video tutorials on you tube showing how to draw hair, one I tried is the five pencil method, I would look it up if I were you, it is very helpful! I found it made loads of sense! Her hair on the shoulder needs to be more wispy, it looks a bit like ribbons, too thick and dark. Soften and lighten these with finer pencil strokes. The ends of her hair on the viewers left stick out and go nowhere, they also need to be thinned, lightened and curved downwards more as they fall. The highlights are looking good, but you will notice on the photo that they are not just blocks of white areas, rather streaked with thin lines of darker hair within. I would show a thin bit of hair outlining her ear, and fix the ear shape slightly so it shows more. I think her nose needs to be slightly widened at the tip and her top lip is too deep in the middle and thin at the sides. I would give it a more gentle straighter curve. I would also soften/lighten the two dark areas between her top and bottom teeth. I would also still darken her skin tones all over to see her facial features and expression better. You are doing a wonderful job and these are small nitpicks, but it is the minor finishing details that make the big difference when you are so close! You will get a much closer likeness. Great drawing, a lovely subject, very pretty girl too. Keep going, you are almost there. :crossfingers: Good luck and post your next stage if you wish when ready. Cheers =)) Debs. :thumbsup:

Wahsuzy
09-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Coming along nicely!

jp6053
09-02-2012, 02:27 PM
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/jun6053/2f6bacb1.jpg

this is the finished piece

Debzy
09-04-2012, 08:31 AM
You have improved this so much with little changes! Great job and good on you for persisting! You have a very close likeness now, I think you have done a wonderful job indeed! There is just one other thing I would alter, so very slight, I would soften / smooth the sharp angle of her jaw on the viewers left, only fractionally, I think it would make a difference. If you don't do this however, you still have a fabulous portrait here. Well done in my opinion. Cheers =)) DEBS.

Erica Shipley
09-04-2012, 01:00 PM
This has come along way wow! I want to suggest lightening the line on her neckline for her collar. Having it as dark as her hair or darker not sure but it makes her head look detached. In the photo her hair is darker then that shadow.

I think you have room to still add a little tone to it giving it more depth. When I use the squint test her face goes away. If it is this light and not just the camera you could do very slow light addition of layers to add tone.

Adding to her forehead will help her expression as it looks a little flat right now.

Do you mind if I alter the photo and re post to show what I mean? It is what I do for my drawings to help me see where shadows n lights and tones are but I don't want to offend you by altering your photo with out your permission.

jp6053
09-04-2012, 07:18 PM
DEBS thanks for your advice..its much appreciated
Erica by all means do what you must..

Erica Shipley
09-04-2012, 08:48 PM
When I do my pencil work I print a black n white version so I dont get lost in color and see tones easier.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2012/1076792-bw.jpg

Then I print a version with the colors inverted.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2012/1076792-12a69e81invert.jpg

The brightest areas in this version are actually the shadows. I compare the two so I can see the shapes area easier. Something in a color or even a black n white version might not stand out but in a inverted photo stand out so you can see the details.

I print them compare and some times take a pencil to trace the shapes on the photos so I can compare to my drawings. I hope this helps.

My brain gets stuck and I can get overwhelmed when looking at just the image of some one but to turn it into a less familiar look keeping the same lines I process it different. For me this is the difference between drawings that capture the essence of the subject because I draw it how I think they look rather then drawing the subject as they really look.