PDA

View Full Version : Any Favorite Authors?

Stoy Jones
08-05-2003, 01:25 PM
I had seen a thread about favorite artists and wondered if anyone had any favorite authors that inspire them.

I recently read "Before the Animation Begins" by John Canemaker. The book is about the lives and careers of Disney sketch artists who have passed through the studio over many years to go on to paint for galleries, illustrate, start businesses, etc. I find the artwork in the book inspiring not to mention the stories of success, since not all the artists had a happy ending.

I'm also fond of Lindsey Davis who writes a series of detective novels set in ancient Rome. I have attached a sketch of the two main characters (as I see them) Falco and Helena. Someday, (time permitting:D ) I would like to do a decent scale portrait drawing.

Stoy Jones

Rose Queen
08-05-2003, 02:17 PM
I don't think I got a chance to welcome you to WetCanvas, Stoy, so let me do that first off!

I'm fond of a number of English mystery novelists, including P.D. James and Anne Perry, and people who write English-based mysteries, like Martha Grimes and Bruce Alexander. I also like books by former book designer and now author Barbara Hodgson. She has a real artist's eye and some of her things are both beautifully designed and wonderfully funny (like Paris: Out of Hand ).

The most interesting book I've bought lately, tho, has to be Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection , which is presented like a fashion collection for fairies. All the clothes are made from leaves, flower petals, feathers, leather, etc. and the entire book is beautifully done. I found it recently at amazon.com for $10. It's really inspiring!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Keith Russell
08-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Ayn Rand

Mark Twain

Isaac Asimov

Nietzsche

William Shakespeare

Philip K. Dick

Alfred Bester

Harlan Ellison

H. P. Lovecraft

Edgar Allan Poe

RobinZ
08-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Yet their spirits live...:evil: :angel: :D

RobinZ
08-05-2003, 06:11 PM
Right now I'm reading Gail Godwin's "Violet Clay", who is a fictional artist.

JustjoGA
08-05-2003, 06:19 PM
I am a big Nora Roberts fan... just finished reading "River's End" ... I also like any and all of Jude Devereaux.. especially the time travel novels... fascinates me to think of being able to live and function in two widely spaced eras...

sue ellen
08-05-2003, 07:20 PM
I really like classic literature..but i will read just about anything..lol

Ernest Hemingway
Jane Austen
Charlotte Bronte
John Steinbeck
Harper Lee
Mark Twain
F. Scott Fitzgerald
J. D. Salinger
Nathaniel Hawthorne
E.E. Cummings
Sarah Vowell
David Sedaris
Daniel Quinn
.....i could go on..lol
but i will stop here :)

Stoy Jones
08-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Rose Queen
I don't think I got a chance to welcome you to WetCanvas, Stoy, so let me do that first off!

Thankyou for the welcome!

Stoy

Keith Russell
08-05-2003, 07:26 PM
yes, welcome Stoy...!

K

Keith Russell
08-05-2003, 09:01 PM
two more...

...Robert Aickman

...Robert Cormier

Elven Prince
08-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Oooo I have several!

My sister..... Her poetry is awsome, and the novel she is writing is sounding so cool! I also love her short stories!

J. R. R. Tolkien......... I LOVE the Lord of the Rings and Im fascinated by the man's imagination in creating something so incredible!

Dr. Suess (sp?)....... He is so cool. I also love his style of art!

Frank Peretti........ Very good Christian author. Im currently reading "The Wounded Spirit". Love it so far!

Frank L Baum........ I don think that he is the GREATEST writer, but , like Tolkien, I admire his imagination

In case you havent noticed yet, imagination is a big factor for me. I love a person who has the ability to think of stuff so creative.

btw... WELCOME STOY!!!! ive seen you around the cp forum! I LOVE your tinyhead!

:D

gillyvu
08-05-2003, 11:00 PM
I love to read!! My authors are:

-J.R.R. Tolkien
-J.K.Rowling(yes, I admit I am in the Harry Potter craze!)
-Charles R.(orL?) Cross( I only read one book though...)
-Edgar Allen Poe
-L.M. Montgomery(Anne of Green Gables is highly overated, I recommend the Emily series)
-The guy who wrote treasure island...his name slips my mind.
- Phillip Pullman
-Peter Martin
-Anne Rice

If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

Keith Russell
08-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

K

gillyvu
08-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Thanks, I'll cement his name in my mind. I have to add
Margaret Mitchell.

judithj
08-06-2003, 12:48 AM
Hey Elven Prince - I love Dr Seuss too.

I think one of my all time favorite authors is Shel Silverstein - his poetry for kids is what I love. I think I have close to everything he has ever written for kids and much of the poetry I've memorized.

I like stories by Charles deLint - not the dark stuff - the stories about artists. One of my favorites by this author is 'Memory and Dream.'

I enjoy Tolken too - but parts of Lord of the Rings really is engaging and other parts kind of don't work for me. This is not a criticism so much as a confession. I get bored very easy. Surmillion - forget it.

As a kid I loved adventure books - Jack London... The Black Stallion Series.

And I remember being really enthralled with the book - 'Island of the Blue Dolphin (can't remember the author),' And Wrinkle in Time - Madalyn(sp???) Engle.

I enjoyed the Narnia Series by C.S. Lewis and I remember reading a book by him for non-kids about the myth of Persephone....I liked that one too - Can't even remember the title.

I love all the Pathwork books by Eva Pierrakos - I have all of them.

Great Question Stoy.

Warmest Regards, Judith

MikLNjLo
08-06-2003, 05:52 AM
George R. R. Martin
Mark Bowden

marcaeusyates
08-06-2003, 08:07 AM
i'm deeply inspired by the works of Alan Dean Foster...most particularly his pip & Flinx series..true science fiction in the old style.

oh and course who could forget the discworld series by terry Pratchett.

Maysun
08-06-2003, 11:50 AM
So many favourites !

Somerset Maugham
D.H. Lawrence
Joseph Conrad
Rabindranath Tagore
Jawaharlal Nehru
G.B. Shaw
Bertrand Russell
J.D. Salinger
Antoine de Saint-Expury
Miss Read
Willard Price
P.D. Wodehouse
Ed McBain
Mark Twain
R.L. Stevenson
Ernest Hemingway
William Shakespeare
Mina Prabhu
Omar Khayyam
Emile Zola
James Herriot
Tolstoy
Simone de Beauvoir
C.J. Ingerson
Rainer Maria Rilke
Zane Grey
Louis L'Amour
Enid Blyton
Richmal Crompton
Elie Wiesel
Chaim Potok
Leon Uris
Pablo Neruda

And many more.

Maysun:)

MsLilypond
08-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Hello, I'm usually just a lurker, but I had to add my two cents to this:

Terry Pratchett (very funny fantasy writer)
J. R. R Tolkien
Roal Dahl (most famous for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

MsLilypond
08-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Hello, I'm usually just a lurker, but I had to add my two cents to this:

Terry Pratchett (very funny fantasy writer)
J. R. R Tolkien
Roald Dahl (most famous for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
but I prefer George's Marvelous Medicine)

Amy Tan

okay it might sound cheesy but I have loved most of the books that have been in Oprah's book club.

Sorry about the double post, i can't delete the first one for some reason.

artgorillagal
08-08-2003, 10:04 PM
My own work is (was) very literary-based but I'm moving away from it now. Virginia Woolf's writings #1. Not so much her fiction but her essays such as "Three Guineas" & "Room of One's Own". Even better are her writings (and there is quite a bit of it!) on being a writer. I substitute the word "writing" for "painter" or just the generic "artist" and they are true, and profound words.

Fairy tales have always held a special place in my heart for their timeless quality and universal appeal. I did a series on these also.

I've been interested lately in Margaret Atwood - "Cat's Eye" is so yummy and visual writing about an artist but even better and filled with symbolism which I may use one day is "Handmaid's Tale".

DanaT
08-09-2003, 08:49 AM
The classics? Honore de Balzac and Guy de Maupassant
The moderns? Italo Calvino

heh
08-09-2003, 10:33 AM
ohh italo calvino is one of the most beautiful things the word has going for it
one of my most favorites
t.s. eliot is at the top of my list
with nin andrews up there as well
and beckett

other good ones: