PDA

View Full Version : September 2012 Oil Pastel Challenge

Pat Isaac
08-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Hi Everyone and welcome, my name is Pat and I will be hosting the September challenge.
The challenge is for all abilities and you can experiment with new techniques, just sketch or leap out of your comfort zone. It is entirely up to you.

The following photos were taken by me so there are no copyright issues, feel free to crop, manipulate or use as a starting point to an imaginative abstract.

You are free to post a "WIP", either to show us your process or if you need help and advice. We are all friendly and happy to help.

Please tell us: What support you used including any surface prep.
The finished size of your painting or sketch.
The brand of Oil Pastels used.
Whether you have used anything as an underpainting.
This is not mandatory, we're just nosy.

Other mediums may be used to complement, but the work must be primarily oil pastels.

Oil sticks and oil bars may be used.

You have a whole month, but if you are unable to post by Sept. 30, the threads do stay open....So come on in and give it a go.

Pumpkins for the fall season.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2012/35760-pumpkins.JPG

A windmill in RI
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2012/35760-windmill.jpg

sunflower in ME
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2012/35760-sunflower.JPG

Couple of boat images from ME
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2012/35760-dinghys.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2012/35760-lobster_boat.JPG

And a shack in ME
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2012/35760-fishing_shack.JPG

Have fun
Pat

halthepainter
08-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Hi Everyone and welcome, my name is Pat and I will be hosting the September challenge.
Pat

Hi Pat great to meet you. :evil:

Lovely photos and thank you for some water scenes.

Thank you for hosting September. :thumbsup:

moscatel
08-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Gorgeous pics!

Pat Isaac
08-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Sorry I posted a day early....severe brain cramp. Anyway, enjoy the pics.
:lol: Hal..

Pat

rickop
08-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Pat, you are giving people a head start, that's all. :) Nice picture. I like the sunflower pretending to be the sun.

Rick

halthepainter
08-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Pat you're just letting our Asian friends to start on their September first.

I always feel better when the host posts early. We've had a few that posted days late. That ain't no good.....

thevaliantx
09-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Okay, so I'm going to attempt a WIP again. I still haven't finished the tomato one over in the Colored Pencil forums, but honestly......I'm having way too much fun with pastels at the moment. :D

The link for the resource pic is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2012/35760-pumpkins.JPG

Bristol XL Recycled 14x17
CRAY-PAS Junior Artist "Student Quality Oil Pastels"

At this point I have not 'blended' anything, just trying to use small strokes in the directions the forms take me. Having some problems with colors at the moment, going to see if I can figure this out.

*Deirdre*
09-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi, I've moved this to the Oil Pastel forum for you...but I've left a redirect in Soft Pastels just in case you can't find it!:D
Great start to a fun project!:thumbsup:

aolaranora
09-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Pat, I LOVE those pumpkins! Not saying the rest of photos aren't great, but pumpkins are my favorites!
Not sure, if I can participate this month... just too much to do. But if I can, I would love to!

halthepainter
09-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi Valiant, glad to have your work on display in our forum. We are a large group dedicated to oil pastels.

Pat Isaac
09-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Nice start on the pumpkins. I am going to merge this thread with our challenge thread so everyone can see your progress. The image is from our September Challenge.
Well, I was going to merge them, but for some reason can't do it now.
Pat

LinzCarpArt
09-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Welcome! You will find so much help and a really awesome group of people here. I love this! Fall is my favorite season and Halloween is my favorite holiday so this really caught my eye! I think you are doing a great job on this and look forward to seeing it completed so keep us updated!

thevaliantx
09-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks, Linz! Autumn, too, is my favorite season of the year...by far!!!! The colors, and smells, just have me going.....ooohhhhhhhh :D I've always loved Halloween, and being scared. You can not know pain unless you can feel it. We can not truly appreciate the good in this world without having known the bad.

And, don't EVEN get me started on Christmas!!!! ;)

thevaliantx
09-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Pat, thanks for moving the thread here. I intended for it to be a WIP (though I'm no professional like some of the others here who do some awesome WIP stuff), so it's sad that it won't be a WIP anymore.

These are some nice photos you put up here for the challenge.

I'm completely overwhelmed, to be honest, having started so many projects of different mediums. How exactly does an oil pastel artist get fine details with the oil pastel 'crayons'?

thevaliantx
09-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Pat, I LOVE those pumpkins! Not saying the rest of photos aren't great, but pumpkins are my favorites!
Not sure, if I can participate this month... just too much to do. But if I can, I would love to!

There is A LOT going on in that pumpkin picture. Would you be interested in doing an 'impressionistic' approach to the pumpkins? Or maybe even pointillism with oil pastel sticks? Sorry, I'm just getting excited about the different styles of part, past and present, that I'm learning about now on the Internet.

I'm sure Monet and Renoir are names that are so-so for you guys, because you've been around this for so long, but for me I just can't believe I wasted years in earning an IT degree when I could have been learning 'art'. I watched a youtube video of Monet's work the other day, the Mozart music in it brought tears to my eyes.

halthepainter
09-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Pat, thanks for moving the thread here. I intended for it to be a WIP (though I'm no professional like some of the others here who do some awesome WIP stuff), so it's sad that it won't be a WIP anymore.

These are some nice photos you put up here for the challenge.

I'm completely overwhelmed, to be honest, having started so many projects of different mediums. How exactly does an oil pastel artist get fine details with the oil pastel 'crayons'?

Of course it's still a WIP. You can post updates as you progress.

I'll put a touch of oil pastel in the place I want it and then push it around with paper stumps. I also use paper stumps to scrape away excess OPs from my thin lines etc. Oil pencils are possible although they don't do well over thick layers of OPs unless you want to excise a line into the OPs.

Some of us use solvents and brushes. I don't.

I will rub a paper stump against an oil stick and then rub that color on my paper where I need it. I have rubbed my oil pastels on a paper palette and then scraped of a thin line with a palette knife to put a thin strip on my painting surface.

There are also other ways that I'm sure others will contribute.

moscatel
09-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Thevaliantx, I hope you continue with your wip here! Yes, I know, sometimes a thread is moved to an other place, has happened to me too, but it's quite ok to continue your wip here, I think:rolleyes:. Next time you can start a wip from your own photo.:D

Here are my WIP pumpkins from Pat's first reference:

- First: I tried the pumpkin A to a grey paper.
- Second: I did a pumpkin that ended up looking like an alien pumpkin, not quite possible to publish here. It was supposed to be a value study but the result was something totally opposite!
- The third pumpkin I'm doing is the pumpkin B on white paper, but I ended up with a different form. I'm doing the one pumpkin in the middle of the ref.

A:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/50779-152_pumpkin_sepi_Chall12_1.jpg

B:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/50779-153_pumpkin_sept_chall12.jpg

It is not easy to draw or paint a pumpkin!

Hope I have time & interest to continue with these... I'm posting these already now because my art school is starting again in two weeks and I will be occupied at least 12 hours/day on drawings.

halthepainter
09-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Moscatel. great job especially on pumpkin B.

Shirl Parker
09-03-2012, 12:38 PM
...It is[B] not easy to draw or paint a pumpkin!...
And once you have, you don't want to do it again :eek:

moscatel
09-03-2012, 01:58 PM
:thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
09-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Of course it's a WIP. You can post your updates in this thread any time you want. I just moved it here because it is part of our challenge and many do WIPs here with the challenge images. I use paper stumps and clay shapers for details and sometimes oil based colored pencils.

Nice pumpkin studies, Moscatel...

Pat

thevaliantx
09-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Moscatel, that's a nice pumpkin!!!! I think the hardest part is the stems. I'm not even sure what color to use for them. All I see in my palette is whites, some pinks, some dark browns.

thevaliantx
09-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Realized that the proportions were off on some of the pumpkins, added an imaginary pumpkin or two at the top. I think I'm going to leave the stems for last, and if I can figure out how to do it, add some pumpkin vines and leaves.

thevaliantx
09-04-2012, 04:05 PM
I think I'm at risk of turning this pumpkin piece into a cartoon, or something of whimsical nature. :D

Once everything is covered in color I'm going to go back and try to add lots of details (ie, the ribs of the pumpkins, better stems). There are some other really nice photos in this challenge that I'm wanting to try.

Pat Isaac
09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Feel free to interpret this any way you like. Have some fun.

Pat

moscatel
09-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Thevaliantx, thanks for the updates. :thumbsup: I didn't know either what color to use for the stems, so I colored them: light side sap green or other lighter green, dark side the darkest green I have. I can't see the color names from the paper around the pastels any more so can't tell for sure what they are. Some browns for the stems could work too.

thevaliantx
09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm having the same problem with the Junior Artist Sakura OP's. They don't have the names of the colors printed on them, from what I can tell.

thevaliantx
09-04-2012, 11:24 PM
I've now been awake for 27 hours. Got off work yesterday morning, homeschooled my son for a couple of hours in math, then was up with all day playing video games and watching television, and working on this pumpkin piece some.

I think I'm all pumpkin'd out. :lol:

moscatel
09-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Your pumpkins are looking really good already, I'm glad you worked more on your painting although you have lots of other things to take care too!

Meanwhile my pumpkins are on the table waiting for more color I decided last night to give a try on the mill ref. I haven't really done OP landscapes and don't manage whites so well, so I'm kind of happy for this result. (If we forget the structure and the wings of the mill are kind of twisted somehow :D)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2012/50779-154_mill_OPchall12Sept.jpg

Van Gogh oil pastels, paper unknown/some hard white cardboard but not a rough surface, 19x23 cm (about 7x9").

Pat Isaac
09-05-2012, 08:43 AM
I think the pumpkins are coming along quite nicely. Home schooloing must be hard and it is a huge commitment.
I like your windmill, Moscatel and you have captured a sunny feeling. You need to get yourself one sennelier white....really helps with the whites.

Pat

halthepainter
09-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Valiant, Doing great on the pumpkins. Are you a night shift worker?

Moscatel, not bad on the windmill. You might emphasize the value shifts between the three sides a bit more. Great tree in the background. A few more darks in the shrubbery????

As Pat says, get some Sennelier whites.

thevaliantx
09-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Hal, yeah.....overnight worker.....a baker .... ;)

thevaliantx
09-05-2012, 11:04 AM
moscatel, i think you should give the pumpkin picture challenge a go!

with that windmill, have you ever tired using toothpicks to give details? i'm thinking the details of the slabs on the housing. what about a picket fence? maybe put some tulips up around it?

halthepainter
09-05-2012, 07:16 PM
I have to support my favorite Moderator (she's my boss). I decided to do something that I might get by with just winging it. No preliminary drawing on this one, just slapping oil sticks on a previously dark blue gessoed canvas panel.

Yes, I wanted to give the oil sticks another try. Bold treatment and no demand for great detail. Sounds ideal of my Shiva, paint sticks. 11 by 14 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2012/140488-Sep_OP_sunflower_wip_wc.jpg
this was my initial draw in.

The next image was after two and a half hours of work. The oil sticks were so juicy that I was working wet in wet most of the time. I don't like working wet in wet. Any additional adjustments will have to wait until my next session.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2012/140488-sep_chal_sunflower_wip2_wc.jpg
I'm not sure what I'll do the next session. I'll try to get some variety into the greens.

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

Pat Isaac
09-05-2012, 07:32 PM
This is really lovely, Hal...and sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers. They are always so joyous and happy as is yours.

Pat

halthepainter
09-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Thank you Pat.

thevaliantx
09-06-2012, 01:11 PM
I can't wait for Halloween, but you all can HAVE those pumpkins. :lol:

I'm onto the shack image now, and am REALLY having fun with this one. I'm using a blending stump to do the detail work, and am already realizing the importance of

(a) not rushing through something ... had to go back and try to fix the right / front side of the shack; and

(b) am learning what colors will go on top of others and still show up, and that it is important to know ahead of time what colors you will use at what point.

As gloomy as that shack is, I don't think I'd walk in there without someone else leading the way (playing The Walking Dead on your PS3 will do that to you, now my son is having fun making "walker" noises behind me).

I'm itching to do some more with the trees and the layered stones holding up the dock. Or, are those stones holding up the shack, too? :eek:

halthepainter
09-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Lookin good Valiant.

halthepainter
09-06-2012, 01:45 PM
moscatel,
with that windmill, have you ever tired using toothpicks to give details? i'm thinking the details of the slabs on the housing. what about a picket fence? maybe put some tulips up around it?

Valiant, I thought your suggestion was absolutely brilliant. Since I didn't have any toothpicks, I used bamboo skewers.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2012/140488-fun_piece_Sep_OP_chal.jpg
Perhaps I should have stopped with the fence. It was a bit of a rush job. Perhaps if I had colored the bamboo skewers????:D :wink2:

Pat Isaac
09-06-2012, 02:59 PM
This is coming along nicely, Valiant....I like the mix of colors you have in the shack.

Okay, Hal....:lol: almost as funny as the pipe insulation..

Pat

thevaliantx
09-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I see that Hal has WAY too much time on his hands. :lol:

As for me, unless I absolutely murder a piece I can't throw it away. I've got pretty much every sketch / drawing / painting I've made since October 2011.

halthepainter
09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
I see that Hal has WAY too much time on his hands. :lol:

As for me, unless I absolutely murder a piece I can't throw it away. I've got pretty much every sketch / drawing / painting I've made since October 2011.

Valiant, for the sake of a chuckle, I'll make time. :evil:

You're a new kid, I have art work that should have been thrown away 40 years ago. :rolleyes:

Pat Isaac
09-06-2012, 04:55 PM
So do I......:eek:

Pat

moscatel
09-06-2012, 07:27 PM
.. but Valiant & me are catching up soon in quantity since we are painting so much here .. :angel:

Hal, so nice sunflower! :thumbsup: Love the bright colors. You are now being way too literal with the toothpicks :lol: ... you pick up those wonderful oil sticks again :D and paint your own wind mill :D. We'll be waiting. We are patient.
Thevaliantx, I like your shed very much :thumbsup: & good perspective. Yes, its good to proceed slow with the painting.

Thanks guys for all the tips and comments for my painting .. great ideas! Everything read and learnt carefully!

thevaliantx
09-07-2012, 03:18 PM
I just realized that I should have painted the darkness of the forest first, BEFORE the trees. So, now it's just going to be a a few tall trees back there, a bunch of Christmas trees, and a dark hillside that you'll still need to pray about before you walk up there. :D

halthepainter
09-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Valiant, many of us paint from dark to light with oil pastels.

Pat Isaac
09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
You can always put lighter color on top of the dark if the color has set up some, like a day or so.

Pat

thevaliantx
09-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Valiant, many of us paint from dark to light with oil pastels.

That all depends, though, right? In my case I should have started with a dark background., then put in the trees? Am I wrong?

thevaliantx
09-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Got the railing and the ropes in. I love details, so I think I'm going to have fun with the layered rocks.

Pat Isaac
09-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Yes, it does depend and in your case you can still add a lot more green to the trees. I like what you are doing now.

Pat

halthepainter
09-07-2012, 05:26 PM
That all depends, though, right? In my case I should have started with a dark background., then put in the trees? Am I wrong?

That's what I said. I paint in my darks and add my lights on top, unless I have a large area that will basically be quite light. Even then, I'll lay in my darker light values and put my lights and highlights on top of them.

As part of my painting light over darks, I will often paint on a toned surface. I almost always paint on a darker toned surface, dark green, black, burnt sienna, dark blue, and burgandy.

thevaliantx
09-08-2012, 09:18 AM
That's what I said. I paint in my darks and add my lights on top, unless I have a large area that will basically be quite light. Even then, I'll lay in my darker light values and put my lights and highlights on top of them.

As part of my painting light over darks, I will often paint on a toned surface. I almost always paint on a darker toned surface, dark green, black, burnt sienna, dark blue, and burgandy.

In realizing that there are many painters paint dark to light, I was looking for advice on what I should do, and your comment didn't seem to be giving advice. :)

Pat Isaac
09-08-2012, 11:13 AM
At the stage your painting is in now, you can add a good application of greens to the trees. Think in terms of the shapes you see and not individual trees, then you can enhance some of the remaining darks.

Pat

thevaliantx
09-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't really understand, Pat. All I see is darkness back there, and I'm imagining (it even looks like it from the photo, I think) it to be a hillside or mountainside. I imagine a path broken through those trees where folks either walk down to the cabin, or drive their vehicles and boats down.

Pat Isaac
09-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm obviously not explaining this very well. It is dark, but there is all that green foliage surrounding the dark so that there are just small dark shapes left. There is more foliage than dark.
If you can wait until Monday when I go to my studio I will do a small demo and post it, or maybe someone else will before that. I always find it hard to explain with out showing also.

Pat

thevaliantx
09-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I ended up veering off the direction of trying to make the painting the same as the photo. With the texture of the pastel making the ground look like it has snow on it, up on the hillside, it is really tempting to turn this into a winter scene. Snow on the trees, on the rooftop.

Pat Isaac
09-08-2012, 03:41 PM
That is a great idea....no need to keep it like the photo.

Pat

halthepainter
09-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Valiant, I use a paper stump and a very firm hand to grind my initial color into the paper. Unless I'm using a toned surface and the tone of a color that I don't mind showing through, I'll really grind that initial layer of color into the paper. Then this initial layer showing through when lighter colors are applied on top is just part of the dark texture of the tree, mountain, or whatever.

DLT
09-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Nice pieces so far! I wanted to give the pumpkins a go.

First the info....

8 x 10 on Canson Art Board, using Cray-pas Specialist ( Just got them this weekend)

I started out finding the base color of each pumpkin. At this stage it doesn't look like much, but it gives me a base to work from.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2012/291871-IMG_1547.JPG

Next I started adding shadow and light. This is where I am now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2012/291871-IMG_1548.JPG

I hope to finish this up tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Pat Isaac
09-09-2012, 07:14 AM
That's a great start, Donna. Nice fall color.

Pat

halthepainter
09-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Donna, you're getting some fantastic texture into those pumpkins.

DLT
09-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I have no idea what happened to my manners! Thank you Pat for hosting I hope to do the sunflower as well. I have not had the time I had hoped to have today to finish the pumpkins. Hopefully some time this week.

Thanks Hal. I am really fighting with this one. I don't know if it is the fact that the paper is smooth side out or if it is the new ops or a combo of both but I am having to spay fixative in order to get it to hold more layers. I was getting mush.

Doobi
09-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi All,

Here are the pumpkins freshly plucked from the fields :D

Suggestions are welcome..

lots of noise in the image.

Cheers ,
Doobi

halthepainter
09-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Lovely drawing Doobi.

Just as a style comment: Even though the reference photo's light source isn't strongly defined, the light does seem to be coming a bit more from the left. As the artist creating your work of art, I think it might benefit from a bolder treatment of your highlights and shadowing.... Just an idea.

moscatel
09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Doobi, very fresh indeed! Lovely color in your painting. The pumpkin shapes are well done too.
Donna, elegant texture on the pumpkins. Lovely pumpkin painting.
Valiant, your cabin is coming along very well. You are brave to do this photo, I think its a demanding ref. (true challenge) :crossfingers:

Pat Isaac
09-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Nice job on the pumpkins, Doobi. I'd also add a little more green to some of the fruits for variety.

Pat

thevaliantx
09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
The cabin has been relocated to the hills. A major snow storm is on the way!!!! Anyone want to hunker down by the fireside? :D

halthepainter
09-11-2012, 08:20 AM
The cabin has been relocated to the hills. A major snow storm is on the way!!!! Anyone want to hunker down by the fireside? :D

Put a dash of Kahlua in my coffee. I'll be there soon. :wink2:

thevaliantx
09-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Changed this in about 15 minutes. I guess you could say that I LOVE SNOW!!! :D

halthepainter
09-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Valiant, nice switch off. I'm with you. I prefer winter to summer.

Of course with a bad back and bad knees, I no longer ski.

thevaliantx
09-11-2012, 09:42 AM
That's two things I love about pastels. There is the power of suggestion that seems can only come with pastels, and you can easily switch to a totally different scene with the swipe of a hand or a lot of smudging with the stick. Try that with a colored pencil ... yeah.......

Anyone else here start out with colored pencil and end up loving pastel more?

thevaliantx
09-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Valiant, nice switch off. I'm with you. I prefer winter to summer.

Of course with a bad back and bad knees, I no longer ski.

True story. I'm from Kentucky and my family took me skiing when I was a teenager (texting my aunt to get the name of that ski resort). My family was in the lodge taking a break and watching out the window. The window they were standing in front of was directly in front of the middle, and largest, slope. They saw this kid fall down at the top of the slope, and slide all the way down on his back, to the bottom, stopping near the lodge. A short time later I came into the lodge, covered in snow. :lol::lol::lol:

thevaliantx
09-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Some of the best paintings that I've ever seen are those of Thomas Kinkaide. Growing up I wanted his paintings, loved looking at books showing his paintings. His world, of light, color and festivities, was my world.

Doobi
09-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Thx Hal, Moscatel & Pat.

I was trying to add more colors but the paper I used didn't have much tooth so I was not able to do it.

Pat Isaac
09-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Great changeover...valiant...and it really looks like a big storm coming, and I'll join you by the fireside.
I much prefer summer, but I do love New England. Nice story about the kid on the slope..:lol:

Pat

halthepainter
09-11-2012, 02:48 PM
I decided to combine two of the nautical References.

A little cutting and pasting (of course printing out the refs to different scales). I know there is a way to combine two images into one with photoshop but I've never taken the time to figure out how to do it.

You can see in the reference photo, I'm drawing perspective lines, trying to figure out where the horizon should be and trying to reconcile both photos.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2012/140488-sep_chal_boat_and_shack_ref.jpg

Wip 1

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2012/140488-sep_boat_and_shack_wip.jpg

I had intended to take a photo of my initial draw in. I used a orange, soft pastel pencil. But alas I forgot so this was part way through adding color. You can still see my perspective guide lines on the stern and top of the cabin of the boat.

wip 2

I've got color over the entire canvas. I ran out of time last night and will work on it again tonight. There are issues all over the canvas. On the right side I had intended to show an outlet to the sea but that make not work, being so close to the edge of the canvas. I need to liven the color, there are issues with the boat, shack and some of my trees and perhaps more after some more evaluation.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2012/140488-sep_chal_boat_and_shack.jpg

11 by 14 inch, toned canvas panel (blue and green gesso, just slopped on. The green/blue was mostly in the tree line). Erengi and Gray Pas Specialists.
It's too early in my process for suggestions.

Pat Isaac
09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
I do like your combination of images, Hal. Nice start.

Pat

halthepainter
09-12-2012, 10:33 AM
This is my latest update. It still needs some tweaking and I'm not very happy with this piece. I just don't feel it has come together as I had hoped it would. I feel as if I've regressed about 20 years with this piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2012/140488-sep_chal_boat_and_shack_wip_3.jpg

I'll do a bit more later. I'm still a bit uncomfortable with my perspective and I didn't capture the sense of light, I had hoped for, and I'll tweak a couple of things on the boat, but the piece is essentially done.

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

thevaliantx
09-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Hal, you might be able to divert attention away from the perspective issue by working on the water some. Right now it looks like someone went boating, and the world froze over. The buoy looks like it's sitting on ice.

The light is almost there. I can tell that it's from the viewer's back-left. The back of the boat could use more light, while the front of it (heading away from the viewer) has more shadow on the water. It appears to me, if I have the light source correct, that the shadow of the buoy is in the wrong place. The shadows on the support beams for the dock, and of the eave on the house, look correct.

Nice job on this!

I'm sure Pat is wondering if she should use a fake camera to take the photos, since none of our drawings resemble the photo anyway. :lol:

halthepainter
09-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Thank you for your suggestions Valiant.

Pat Isaac
09-12-2012, 03:27 PM
:lol: Valiant...but you can interpret the photos any way you want. I actually am not having too much trouble with the perspective and I really do like how you merged the 2 photos. The space on the right bothers me. I probably would have left it all trees. You might want to add a slight touch of yellow into the light to get more of a feeling of sunlight.

Pat

halthepainter
09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Pat and Valiant, this will be my final version for now.
Pat, I'm not sure about the right side either but I'm going to leave it for now.

I have added yellow to the trees and considerably more shading. Perhaps my water looks less like ice now. I worked on my shadows a bit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2012/140488-sep_chal_boat_and_shed_final_wc.jpg
This is it for the moment. The photo washed out some of the color. It was turning dusk on my deck when I finished today and took the photo.

I still feel as if I missed the boat :wink2: and I will put this aside for awhile and then look at it with fresh eyes. Then I'll decide if it's worthy of a frame or the trash bin. :rolleyes:

OOPS, just noticed my left most, post reflection could be mistaken as smoke coming out of the stack on the boat's roof.

Pat Isaac
09-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Sometimes leaving it alone for awhile is a good thing. Nice catch with the piling....I didn't notice that.

Pat

thevaliantx
09-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I think you better leave this one alone, period, Hal. It looks like it's reaching that point of being over-worked, if you ask me. Being new to all of this (it's my way of suggesting that I will be "forever young" as Rod Stewart likes to sing), I suppose EVERY piece that has ever existed has had unanswered questions about them. That's what helps to make them art, right? If everything was known about them, then they'd just be manufactured pieces, right?

DLT
09-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Hal, I like this one a lot. Beautiful rock work. Lovely olive greens in trees. I was recently reminded in a class that things get lighter the farther away they are and of course darker near. I would like to see some stronger color in the foreground ( or should I say forewater?) i think you captured the house and boat quite nicely.

DLT
09-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Valiant,
As an artist it is not my wish to slavishly copy a photo, but my wish to share what that photo or scene in front of me makes me feel. A person can tell when a peice is from the heart. It is like a peek onto their soul.

thevaliantx
09-13-2012, 04:52 AM
DLT, I truly feel that many artists get caught up in the battle of realism versus imagination, when it comes to their work. I think what happens is that in the beginning, when they are just learning to 'draw', their progress is measured by how closely what they drew represented what they were portraying, and that somewhere along the way the more realistic their work became, or the stronger their desire to produce that type of work became, the less creative they became. It all brings me back to the saying that every beginning artist has heard ..... draw what you see, not what you think you see. At what point do artists (I don't say "we" here, because at this point in time I don't feel that I qualify as an artist, and I most certainly am not looking for pity) feel confident in their ability to successfully convey what they are seeing, to be able to step away from 'copying' and toward 'creating'? As you can imagine, I enjoy deep conversations, walks on the beaches .... wait ... this isn't Craigslist. :D

halthepainter
09-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Linda, thank you. I wasn't concerned about atmospheric perspective in the trees. I felt that they were all close in.

Yes there should be darker water depicted close in. I had had that but wound up blending it out. Since you are actually looking down into the closer water it should be darker.

ai2ai
09-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Hal, I must commend you for attempting the merged photos - not an easy task to make them look natural. Overall very pleasing work albeit a little chalkiness due to overuse of white on the water. You'd do better if you'd added reflections of trees to give more cohesion to the surroundings.
I'd taken snippets of your earlier piece as they yield more natural look and colour harmony (if you could retain these qualities overall, it'll be stunning!).
Great effort.

halthepainter
09-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Ai2aim, thank you for your suggestions.

thevaliantx
09-13-2012, 02:59 PM
ai2ai, I learn something new every day. I too thought the trees just weren't connected, and even had my own thoughts as to what they clump of them was supposed to be, but in not wanting to ruin the beauty that is the rest of the painting, I didn't want to "go there". Now I understand WHY the trees seem so disconnected. I love conversations like these in the threads much more than the "I'm pulling up my seat!" comments.

halthepainter
09-13-2012, 07:01 PM
OK, this is my final, final version. I added trees to the right side, some reflections, and played a bit with my water.

My computer is giving me fits. I type three or four words then have to wait a couple of minutes before I can type some more. I'm afraid it's back to the shop with this thing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2012/140488-sep_boat_and_shed_4_final_wc.jpg

DebbieO
09-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Hi everyone, I gave OP a try tonight.

I am back and forth about what I like and don't like about this. Sometimes it looks muddy but the pic I've posted looks better. Tomorrow I'd like to try again and be more refined. My pastels don't smudge very easily so I went with a rough look. Is it a brand/quality thing or are they old? I bought them years ago and they've been sitting unused forever.

It's on 16x12 Daler-Rowney paper and I used Pental oil pastels.

DebbieO
09-14-2012, 02:46 AM
Oops trying again

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2012/1121592-dingys.JPG

halthepainter
09-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Very nice DebbieO. It's boldly done, good style an technique for oil pastels.

Delighted to have you join our forum.

Your brand of oil pastels is a student grade. Although you did a great job with them. Brands such as Senneliers are easier to work with.

Pat Isaac
09-14-2012, 04:55 PM
I love the strong color in this painting, Debbie. It is the quality of the OPs that makes blending easier or harder. You still have done a great job with the student grades.

Pat

DebbieO
09-15-2012, 04:14 AM
Thanks Hal and Pat!

I shopped for some better OPs today but all the local places were sold out of their quality sets probably because fall semester just started at the college. But I did order a set online. Until then I have to work with these. I did the math and I actually bought them close to twenty years! Time for a new set :)

DLT
09-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Hal, I like !

Valiant , I was talking more about design than imagination. A good painting is more about knowing what to leave out than what you can add in. Giving your painting melodic lines. Deciding what combo of color and hue are going to use give your painting depth. Where you want your focal point if you even want a focal point.

Debbi I like this, great expressive color !

halthepainter
09-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank you Donna.

thevaliantx
09-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Hal, I like !

Valiant , I was talking more about design than imagination. A good painting is more about knowing what to leave out than what you can add in. Giving your painting melodic lines. Deciding what combo of color and hue are going to use give your painting depth. Where you want your focal point if you even want a focal point.

Debbi I like this, great expressive color !

Please refresh my memory, I'm not sure what you're referring to. I got a little distracted by buying a beginner set of acrylics (not sure I'm going to like the whole process of setting up and cleaning afterwards)

rickop
09-18-2012, 12:31 AM
I looked through the reference photos and the sunflower struck me that it was trying to replace the sun. I think I made a comment as such. So I thought about whether or not to do this month or what to do and the sunflower came to mind more than once. And so here it is. I like the bright flower which captures the attention. C&C welcome.

~5x7
Mungyo ASOP
burnt sienna ground on 200gsm paper

Rick

Pat Isaac
09-18-2012, 07:06 AM
I love the sunflower too...standing there reaching for the sun...

Pat

halthepainter
09-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Rick, it's great to have you joining in this month.

Your OPs are progressing nicely.

VladK
09-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm glad to be back after a long absence:wave:

Pat, thank you for beautiful references!

Here is my attempt, Sennelier oil pastels on toned and Colorfixed watercolor paper, size 8x10:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2012/204616-IMG_0471_s.jpg

Thank you!

halthepainter
09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Vlad, great to have you back. Great job, there is a lot energy in this one.

DLT
09-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Lovely sunflower Rick.

Vlad beautiful work as always. Nice to see you again.

VladK
09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Thank you Hal and Donna

Pat Isaac
09-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi Vlad, nice to see you posting again. I love this sunflower! It is so alive almost wants to dance right off the page.

Pat

rickop
09-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Thank you Donna, Pat & Hal. I always like these threads but sometimes I have a hard time finding time to get involved. It's nice to join in.

Rick

VladK
09-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Thank you Pat!

DLT
09-29-2012, 10:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2012/291871-IMG_1608.JPG

I am not really happy with the way this turned out, but I am done trying to salvage it.

halthepainter
09-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Donna, glad you got this one in. I like your idea for the background and most of the pumpkings are quite good.

Now get ready a new month and a new challenge starts tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
09-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Glad you finished this for the challenge this month. I do like your pumpkins piled in the grasses and the pumpkin color carrying over to them.

Pat

VladK
10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
I like the reference, and, even though it's too late(sorry), I decided to post it, Senneliers on 9x12 Sennelier oil pastel pad:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2012/204616-IMG_0474_s.jpg

Thank you!

rickop
10-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Nice work Vlad. It is a good pile of pumpkins, nice variations among them.

Rick

Pat Isaac
10-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Great pumpkins, Vlad and thos stems are wonderful.

Pat