PDA

View Full Version : Something different for me!

Mo.
08-05-2003, 09:33 AM
I painted my interpretation of these foxgloves from a photo I took one early misty morning.... trying to convey the feeling of that misty morning with the shadowy flowers in the background...

Oil pastels on Lana pastel paper size 12x9 inches.... the colours are not very true, a bit of a blue cast which try as I might could not correct this time, probably because of the amount of blue in the painting...... I'm quite happy with it, but not overjoyed , feel there is something lacking here....something I can't quite put my finger on....... any suggestions?... Anyone? Thanks for looking. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2003/5154-foxgloves001.jpg

Cheers,
Mo.:)

jackiesimmonds
08-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Mo, it DOES have a misty feel......when you explain it. I think it is quite difficult to get that feeling of mistiness when there is no "landscape" around the flowers, to explain mist. It tends just to look as tho you have used pale colours. Mist is never easy to show, I think it only really works when there are landscape elements in the pic, with some sky, and misty stuff on the horizon which makes it obvious that there is mist around. Sorry...lots of use of the word mist.

I hope I didn't mist the point.

Jackie

soap
08-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Lovely flower Mo, and great colours. But, I feel in order to enhance the mist, I would add a bit of the flowers that is NOT in the mist......one bit that is clear and light, just to add to the contrast and make the rest dissappear in the wet cloudy mist......Right now, the painting is a bit too pale and vague to me. It needs contrasts!

(:D lots of use of the word mist as well :D)

Dark_Shades
08-05-2003, 12:38 PM
really pretty colours Mo...... well, I thought the back looked like mist...... think Soap is leading you well with this one

MKathleen
08-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi Mo:
I think the background does have a misty look, and agree with soap too. I get the feeling there are some colors missing that could be added. Those are your discord colors of yellow-orange and blue-green (turquorise). If you should use these colors keep them small and equal and near the center of interest--after saying that discords can be used anywhere but with care.
If not this painting then maybe try some color comps and see what you think.
I'm basing this on the Analogous color wheel--your dominant hue looks to be purple. The adjacent hues would be blue-purple and red-purple with your compliment being yellow-green. So as mentioned above your discord colors would be yellow-orange and blue-green.
I really love the feel of this painting and you used some of my favorite colors.
Best,
Kathy:)

rd2ruin
08-05-2003, 03:12 PM
I'm waiting to see a tiger or something ready to pounce on it! :D

This really is something different Mo. I'm not very good at flowers, or mist ... or pastels LOL :p ;) ... but if I had to take a guess, I'd say that to enhance the mist in the background, you'd want to really make the edges super crisp in the foreground, losing sharpness of detail as you recede.

Mind you I neither have a misty photo or misty day as reference, but what always struck me about mist is how rapidly things blur as you look further into it as opposed to a relatively sharp contrast up front.

Cheers!
- Greg

Mo.
08-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Hi Jackie.... thanks ...I did use pale colours, but also lightly scumbled some lighter colours over the darks.... experimenting I suppose... I noticed lots of mist in your post;)....hope you weren't too mist yourself. :)

Sophie... think you are right, it does look a bit flat, needs oomphing up a bit.... thanks. :)

Dawn... thank you too, yes pretty colours, but needs some zing. :)

Kathy....I tossed around the idea of adding some pale yellows especially near the top of the painting, to make it appear as though sunlight was peeping through, but then thought it wouldn't look misty. :).... I agree with what you have said, although there are more reds in the original than show here... the flowers up front are leaning more towards magenta than the purple shown here.... I'll take another look at it and play some more... thankyou.:)

Greg... no tigers here in foxglove woods, only hedgehogs and squirrels.... and the odd fox... :D I agree with what you say about the sharp edges then fading out.... thanks Greg and everyone, lots of good advice and food for thought.

Cheers

BeyondTheNineSquares
08-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Mo, I really like this. I'm a newby to pastels so can't provide advice specific to this medium but I know what I like! For what it's worth, IMPO contrast is a wee bit lacking, but I have an offbeat idea on that subject. Since at this point adding a yellow flower here and there might not be the thing, I'm wondering about using a bright white mat on it and framing it, with perhaps a bit of one of the blooms extending onto the mat? That can be a nice effect. Perhaps a bit of the less "misty" more distinct flowers trailing off a bit.

Anyway, it's mist you were going for and mist you achieved! Nice effect really. Just needs a wee bit of perking up!

Dyin
08-05-2003, 07:35 PM
I almost mist this....ha...blame it on Jackie...she started it! Anyways...my 2 cents...more of a feathering into a yellow orange in the bottom third background instead of the light blue or alternately add orange highlight to the foreground lower leaves...it seems to need weight at the bottom...the top is gorgeous and seems very misty to me....

Linarty
08-15-2003, 01:19 AM
Where's the finished painting? LOL I'd love to see it.

Mo.
08-15-2003, 08:14 PM
So sorry Linarty.. it's at the framers right now, unfortunately I did't take a pic of the final...thankyou for your interest though :)

angeline
08-17-2003, 01:55 PM
I liked this one Mo......look forward to seeing what you did with it.