PDA

View Full Version : Old Oil Pastel Gift........

IndigoRed
08-04-2003, 07:18 PM
Hello everyone :D

I recieved some Sanford Oil Pastels the other day, ive never used oil pastels nor bought them before, when i opened the box most of them were white, but the labels had color names to them, so i went to mark on a piece of paper with one and it was blue!.............Is this a characteristic of oil pastels that get left in the box for a long time, they become bleached? I was thinking about doing a small painting with them..........

Thanks

Stephanie

Mo.
08-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Hi Steph.... what has happened is, they have formed a milky film of wax... this happens with OP's that haven't been used for a while... it's perfectly okay... just wipe the film off and they will be fine... I've not heard of that particular brand before... let us know how you get on with them..... hey maybe join in on the Op's Rainy Day Project too, also check out the sticky thread on Op's at the top of the forum page, lots of info there...welcome aboard.:)

Cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
08-04-2003, 07:34 PM
Hi Stephanie: I have a box of Sanford's too - mine are older, but did not have the "skin" on them. I would just rub it off to get down to the pastel itself.

Mo: I kind of like using these because they are tiny (or at least the set I have is). Really small in the hand and has a good round edge. I would say they are not as soft as Nupastels, but softer than the Grumbacher set I have.

Mo.
08-04-2003, 07:40 PM
Hi Kat... you are confusing me now :D .... Nupastels and Grumbacher are soft pastels as apposed to oil pastels ... Steph was talking Op's... so do Nupastels and Grumbacher do Op's too?

:) Mo.

IndigoRed
08-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks to both of you for the info. And i was wondering the same thing mo ;) , Sanford is the manufacturer of Prismacolor brand products ie: Markers, Pencils, Pastels, etc, but i dont think they make an oil pastel. And i will consider the offer about the Rainy Day op Project, I need to get the hang of these little suckers first :), they are small like kyle said, but usuable, kinda smaller than a rowney, I just bought some new paper, and recieved some new suede matt, so im gonna try my hand at one of the reference photos.

Thanks bunches for the help.

Stephanie

Kathryn Wilson
08-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Sorry Mo: I meant Neopastel for Nupastel. BUT, I do have a set of Grumbacher Oil pastels and that I used some of them for the oil pastel project. They are small too, but not quite as small as the Sanford's. I see the Grumbacher's on ebay every so often in sets of 24 colors.

IndigoRed
08-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Ok one more question then im gonna go paint :clap:
Is it ok to use oil pastels on any type of artist paper? I have Strathmore pastel paper and drawing paper, both of course are acid free. The only other thing i have is suede, but i dont want to go there yet lol with oil pastels.

Kathryn Wilson
08-04-2003, 10:15 PM
I can't speak for all papers, but here's what I have found out through my own personal use:

Art Spectrum
Canson
Cold Press Illustration Board
Clayboard for Pastels
Heavier weight watercolor paper

all seem to take to OP's okay - BUT

Sennelier sanded pastel paper is a no-no - does not take any liquid at all, so if you use a medium or watercolor, the surface breaks down :crying:

MKathleen
08-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Hi srw2034:
I just brought my oil pastels out from being put away for a long, long time. Mine also had that milky white film--Mo gave you a really excellent discription of the why of that film. kyle gave you some really good papers to use for oil pastel--I also use charcoal paper with oil pastel. Getting back to that pesky while film I used turps to remove the film--works great:) Just dip the exposed oil pastel into the turps and wipe with a tissue. You should have seen mine before I got them cleaned up. :eek:
Hope this helps,
Oh and when you feel comfortable please post your OP painting. And give the 'Rainy Day Project' a try too:) No time limit on starting and finishing either...
Best,
Kathy:)

IndigoRed
08-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Hi again. Lastnight i decided to go through all of the Projects that were offered on WC!, and i couldnt believe my eyes there are soooo many! and i signed up for about half of em lol..

Good news is, i played with the oil pastels lastnight and it was fun, didnt think it would be, nice surprise tho :), bad news is, no black oil pastel, just one brown and no other dark colors except for a cobalt blue, and i have this one piece of artwork that i realllly want to do but its mainly all black, is there a way to mix a black in oil pastel? or do i need to just go out and buy one lol?

Annddd............i loooove grayscale, is there a oil pastel set out there ranging from white to black with all the grays??

OH yea, and two out of the long list of Projects i signed up for were right up my alley , David and Girl With Pearl Earing, been wanting to paint them for awhile now, and this gives me the incentive i needed ;), Has anyone ever thought about makeing a Project of painting certain plates from the Sistine Chapel, Ive got about 10 im wanting to do lol...................

Heres the painting im wanting to do at the moment tho in oil pastel, but have no black :(...........any advice?
Thanks bunches

MKathleen
08-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Lastnight i decided to go through all of the Projects that were offered on WC!, and i couldnt believe my eyes there are soooo many! and i signed up for about half of em lol..
Only one night?:D
Two things actually three things--How large is your planned painting? Depending on size you plan if large I'd purchase some black OP sticks--if you have a color resembling burnt umber and a color resembling ultramarine blue--those two colors when blended on your support will give you a nice rich black (if small). More work though than using just the color black. Might want to save that mix for another time.
Not absolutley sure but I think I have seen a gray scale box of OP's. Check with www.dickblick.com or art/craft store.
Best,
Kathy:)

IndigoRed
08-10-2003, 11:32 PM
K been playin with my OP, and having tons o fun here, i even started a Project painting "Girl with pearl earring", was doing very well til..............i started painting the flesh colors of the face, I started this painting on black artist paper, dont know the name of it , its the kind they sell at hobby lobby open stock.....anyway, it was going great til i tried to blend the flesh colors together and i tried using my fingers, a tort, colour shaper, etc, and everytime the OP's would not stick, i couldnt build it up and blend as it just turned into a gooey lump , and the colors are so transparent that i couldnt cover the black well enough for it to look like flesh. Im using Caran D'ache oil pastels, Pentel, and Sanfords. Im fixing to get a really neat set of holbeins but it will be about a week.

Im having to start the painting over on white paper so the flesh will show, wish i could show WIP's but no camera, but i will post when its finished , even the first attempt.

K thank ya for letting me ramble :p

Koert
08-11-2003, 12:52 AM
if they don't sell sets with white-grey-black op's, you could always make it yourself

IndigoRed
08-11-2003, 12:56 AM
I figured out that i really dont need a greyscale set of oil pastels after all, just white and black, when you paint with them they are so blendable that i can get so many variations of grey. Besides i wouldnt know how to go about making a new stick color of OP anyways . Ive tried to mix them by mooshing and it would not roll into a usable stick.