PDA

View Full Version : September 1 Paintalong - Questions, comments, paintings relating to Sep 1

Johannes Instructor
08-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi all--

As usual, please try to keep your questions and comments relevant to the Sept 1 paintalong.

Johannes has said that he will be working in WATERCOLORS, and that the ratio of the painting is 4:5; this includes 8x10, 12x15, and 16x20. He has posted the ref photo at the student access page.
You can get to the student access page from the email he sent last Saturday, Aug 11, subject line Paint Along Today's Class. If you signed up for the sessions, and completed the second registration (at gotomeeting), you should be on his email list. For other instructions on finding the access page, please see the Paintalong Aug 11 - Sept 1 Discussion thread (see Post #42) (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...php?t=1206022).

Here's what I suggest be in this thread:
- Comments and questions about the Sep 1 Paintalong, including medium, size, palette, surface prep, etc.
- J's final painting
- Students' paintings based on the Aug 18 paintalong
- Comments and critiques about the paintings that are posted.

Please DON'T POST general discussion relating to the paintalongs as a whole, including comments about ustream, technical glitches, suggestions for future paintalongs, dates and times, "where's the thread for XYZ?", how awesome Johannes is for doing these, etc - those should go in the Paint Along Aug 11 - Sept 1 Discussion Thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1206022) or the general Paint Along Discussion thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1114192)
or in some other relevant thread.

EXCEPTION: Johannes can post anything he wants here.

Here's what NOT to post, here or anywhere: J's email or the link to get the photos, download the videos, etc, because those reveal the Secret Password. (Oh, and don't post the password.)

spudsmom
08-29-2012, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=Johannes Instructor]Hi all--

[B][COLOR=blue]Johannes has said that he will be working in WATERCOLORS, and that the ratio of the painting is 4:5; this includes 8x10, 12x15, and 16x20.

I'm confused oils or watercolor this week? I wasn't here last week so don't know if I missed a change or not.

thanks,
Sherri

Johannes Instructor
08-29-2012, 07:01 PM
[quote=Johannes Instructor]Hi all--

[b][color=blue]Johannes has said that he will be working in WATERCOLORS, and that the ratio of the painting is 4:5; this includes 8x10, 12x15, and 16x20.

I'm confused oils or watercolor this week? I wasn't here last week so don't know if I missed a change or not.

thanks,
Sherri
Sorry the first post in this thread should say "oil" not "watercolor". I copied Sherry's text but I did not catch that error. I only changed the dates.

paintncook
08-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Talk about a challenge!!!! I can't be there live for this one, but hope I can do it in WC when it comes out on video. It looks hard! Kathy

Sgourlayart
08-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Talk about a challenge!!!! I can't be there live for this one, but hope I can do it in WC when it comes out on video. It looks hard! KathyKathy, I know you can do it in watercolor! Have a relaxing time in the Ozarks. And just go over to McDonalds and use their WiFi to download the video so you can paint it on vacation. Stu

chalet_dor
08-30-2012, 02:18 AM
[quote=spudsmom]
Sorry the first post in this thread should say "oil" not "watercolor". I copied Sherry's text but I did not catch that error. I only changed the dates.

Oh that's a Big relief! : )):clap:

Amandine
08-30-2012, 03:14 PM
The coming paintalong will be quite a challenge. I'm really looking forward to see the drawing ... soooooo different from mountains, trees and water.

Johannes Instructor
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
All references for class 4 such as the drawing and instructions are up on the student access page.

mickisew
08-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the Photo Sketcher photo, the grid (easier to see on the original photo), and the drawing. I see you toned in Burnt Sienna. This will be a most interesting class. I am excited to paint! Micki

chalet_dor
08-30-2012, 05:04 PM
All references for class 4 such as the drawing and instructions are up on the student access page.

Got them. Thank you so much.........: ))

Johannes Instructor
08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the Photo Sketcher photo, the grid (easier to see on the original photo), and the drawing. I see you toned in Burnt Sienna. This will be a most interesting class. I am excited to paint! Micki
Toned with indian yellow and Cadmium orange to create the maximum saturation of yellow orange. I did not use burnt sienna.

chalet_dor
08-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Toned with indian yellow and Cadmium orange to create the maximum saturation of yellow orange. I did not use burnt sienna.

Thank you! I need to know Indian yellow and Cadmium orange!

mickisew
08-30-2012, 09:01 PM

Thanks - hard to tell from the photo. I have not toned the surface yet, so I am safe! Micki

pamshowcase
08-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi all,
I have drawn my street scene, planning to paint with acrylics. Now I don't know what to do about the underpainting step. Opaque yellow and orange will cover the drawing so all I can think of is re-draw over the underpaint or just proceed with watercolor. Is there an option I don't know about? if I glaze thinly with acrylics will the underpainting do what I want? I'm new to acrylics so appreciate some advice
Pam

mickisew
08-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi all,
I have drawn my street scene, planning to paint with acrylics. Now I don't know what to do about the underpainting step. Opaque yellow and orange will cover the drawing so all I can think of is re-draw over the underpaint or just proceed with watercolor. Is there an option I don't know about? if I glaze thinly with acrylics will the underpainting do what I want? I'm new to acrylics so appreciate some advice
Pam

I do not know what you used to draw the sketch. You can use a fixative (hair spray works) to set the drawing. Joe used Indian Yellow and Orange to create a yellow orange. You can water down the acrylic to save the drawing presuming you used a fixative. Option two, you can apply the tone of yellow orange and then put your drawing back on. Option three, you don't have to tone your canvas.

Hope this helps.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
08-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi all,
Pam
Glaze over with transparent acrylics and see if it erases the drawing.

cmedford
08-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Wow, this one does look hard. The learning will be incredible !

pamshowcase
09-01-2012, 09:00 AM
I did the toning in acrylic and can still see most of my drawing, yeeeeaaah. Jo, the challenges of these classes (and chance to learn) are beyond my imagination. You push me and give me courage to even TRY more complicated compositions. Cant wait for today's class.
Pam

pamshowcase
09-01-2012, 09:04 AM
I do not know what you used to draw the sketch. You can use a fixative (hair spray works) to set the drawing. Joe used Indian Yellow and Orange to create a yellow orange. You can water down the acrylic to save the drawing presuming you used a fixative. Option two, you can apply the tone of yellow orange and then put your drawing back on. Option three, you don't have to tone your canvas.

Hope this helps.

Micki
Went with option 1 and it worked, see you later today, thanks. Did however make a back up tracing paper image just in case.

Johannes Instructor
09-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow, this one does look hard. The learning will be incredible !
Actually it will not be hard. All you have to do is create suggestive brushstrokes with spots of color.

susanc
09-01-2012, 12:15 PM
This is too late for today, but I'd love to find out how you think Jennifer McChristian gets those fine straight lines in her paintings someday.

Johannes Instructor
09-01-2012, 08:05 PM
This is too late for today, but I'd love to find out how you think Jennifer McChristian gets those fine straight lines in her paintings someday.

She uses curvo-linear perspective for the vertical lines near the frame.

Rosemarie
09-02-2012, 04:49 AM
The painting was al ready beautiful when I left. I can't wait to see the finished one!! I wonder if an amateur like me can pull it off in watercolour?
Here is the screen shot I took just before leaving the class.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2012/2623-Bild_2012-09-01_kl._22.08.24.jpg

LadyMadonna
09-02-2012, 07:11 AM
I am really sorry I missed this class and am looking forward to the download so I can try it for myself. This is exactly the type of mood that I love to depict. It was nice catching all of you towards the end . Fantastic painting Jo !

hanksgam
09-02-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks for taking that screenshot, Rosemarie. I wasn't painting because I wanted to do it either in pastels or watercolor and needed to watch and hear him. When I paint along I can't hear him because I am so focused on what I am doing! Can't paint and listen at the same time. Kinda like can't walk and chew gum at the same time! I think I may try pastels for this though.
Randi

LADickerman
09-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Sorry I couldn't stay in for the class. Last week, Ustream wanted to upgrade my IE to 9 or go to Chrome or Firefox. I could at least see the class but not the chat. I was ok with that. I tried to upgrade to IE 9 but my poor old machine wouldn't upgrade it. This week I had added Chrome and could get into the chat and see the class but it was soooo choppy I dropped off. What a resource hog Chrome is. I'll download and give this one a go...I really love the subject matter even though it looks very hard.

I guess it's time to go buy a newer machine. Guess I'd better do it this week or I'll miss Kenny's class which I already paid for. UGH!

Rosemarie
09-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for taking that screenshot, Rosemarie. I wasn't painting because I wanted to do it either in pastels or watercolor and needed to watch and hear him. When I paint along I can't hear him because I am so focused on what I am doing! Can't paint and listen at the same time. Kinda like can't walk and chew gum at the same time! I think I may try pastels for this though.
Randi

I have the same problem. I only get half of what Joe says when I paint along. I have tried several times but I don't quite get the right colours and I can only stay for half of the session too. Using the downloads is much better.

just having fun
09-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Downloads way to go!:lol:

Sgourlayart
09-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Downloads way to go!:lol: I disagree with only using the downloads. I paint in oils and acrylics and seldom paint alla prima and struggle when I do. Working as much as I can during the paintalong is helping me with the rhythm of the painting process and with application of correct values and color and how to change them if they are off. During the paintalongs (I have painted along for at least part of the session in about 2/3 of them, but have only finished a couple during the session) I do miss a lot of what Jo is saying, but I usually pick up on the important parts and develop a rhythm of paint application and color mixing similar to his. I find that reviewing the video and using the video and final painting to finish up just adds to my learning. For the classes where I could not paint along, painting along with the video is just not the same experience for me and the more I paint along, the better I get Here is my block in from yesterday. I was only able to paint along for about an hour and finished up the block in with another hours work. I still have a lot to do on it, but I think it is pretty good so far. Painting is oil on stretched 16" by 20" canvas toned with a warm yellow acrylic from Atelier and my palette is Jo's landscape palette with minor modifications (transparent earth red substituted for burnt sienna); oils are from Gamblin (with Galkyd added) and brushes are all synthetic. Commenbs and critiques are welcomed and final will be posted in a week or so. Stu

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2012/175408-BourbonStreet1.JPG

Rosemarie
09-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Lovely painting Stu!
I don't think any of us said anything about just using the downloads. But then again if you can't attend "live" you still get the live feeling when using the downloads. Just keep your finger from the Stop or Pause button! ;)

Tonalist
09-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Jo... So could this last painting be considered part of the Ashcan school?..
or is it too impressionist?

woody

Sgourlayart
09-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Lovely painting Stu!
I don't think any of us said anything about just using the downloads. But then again if you can't attend "live" you still get the live feeling when using the downloads. Just keep your finger from the Stop or Pause button! ;)Thanks, Rosemarie; I just wanted to make sure that people try and paint along in some of them and do not "hit the Stop and Pause" as you said, because the rhythm of all this is what is helping me most. I love the paint alongs! Do try and paint yesterday's painting in watercolors; I think it will make a stunning watercolor and only wish I was good enough to even try it in watercolor. I hope that Kathy (paintncook) tries it in watercolor also. Stu

sherrysherman
09-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I disagree with only using the downloads. I paint in oils and acrylics and seldom paint alla prima and struggle when I do. Working as much as I can during the paintalong is helping me with the rhythm of the painting process and with application of correct values and color and how to change them if they are off. During the paintalongs (I have painted along for at least part of the session in about 2/3 of them, but have only finished a couple during the session) I do miss a lot of what Jo is saying, but I usually pick up on the important parts and develop a rhythm of paint application and color mixing similar to his. I find that reviewing the video and using the video and final painting to finish up just adds to my learning. For the classes where I could not paint along, painting along with the video is just not the same experience for me and the more I paint along, the better I get Here is my block in from yesterday. I was only able to paint along for about an hour and finished up the block in with another hours work. I still have a lot to do on it, but I think it is pretty good so far. Painting is oil on stretched 16" by 20" canvas toned with a warm yellow acrylic from Atelier and my palette is Jo's landscape palette with minor modifications (transparent earth red substituted for burnt sienna); oils are from Gamblin (with Galkyd added) and brushes are all synthetic. Commenbs and critiques are welcomed and final will be posted in a week or so. Stu

Stu, thank you very much for this POV. I hadn't thought of that, just the fact that when I'm painting WITH Joe I miss so much of the "next step" that he is already on. So in order not to miss anything (that's me, LOL!), I would be in the Pause camp big time. Good to read that there are good reasons to, um, step out of my comfort zone. BTW, excellent job on your painting, especially for such a short session.

painterted
09-02-2012, 05:40 PM
That was a good workshop Joe. You brought me out of my comfort zone many times, but not like this one. Some parts are a little over worked, but overall i'm really happy how it turned out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2012/909312-P1010001.jpg

hanksgam
09-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Painterted, this is awesome! Maybe I will try it in watercolor after all!
I really like your style and enjoy seeing your take on things.
Randi

Johannes Instructor
09-02-2012, 05:51 PM

woody
I think I was close enough for it to qualify as Ashcan school. I still would like these night scenes to be even more impressionist.

Jacdesusbielle
09-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Lovely WC Painterted ! Beautiful Colors. Your figures are very good and I can feel the night coming down on the wet and busy street. Good sense of depth as well. Like the towers in the distance. Bravo !

Johannes Instructor
09-02-2012, 06:00 PM
That was a good workshop Joe. You brought me out of my comfort zone many times, but not like this one. Some parts are a little over worked, but overall i'm really happy how it turned out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2012/909312-P1010001.jpgThat's impressive Ted. You can do the figure feet wet on wet so they appear they are moving. Hard edges make the fgure look too static and they seem to be posing which we never see in real life. Also add some more darks under them so they are grounded and don't seem to be floating. Check out Trevor Chamberlain's work.
http://www.easyart.com/scripts/search/generalsearch.pl?ptlimit=1%2C2%2C3%2C4%2C7%2C8&searchquery=Trevor+Chamberlain
Specifically look at "Goodwood" and "Tehran Bazaar, 1994 (http://www.easyart.com/canvas-prints/Trevor-Chamberlain/Tehran-Bazaar%2C-1994-306811.html)"

spudsmom
09-02-2012, 06:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2012/895452-DSC00274.jpg

Here's my version. I had a great time doing this one. I did take the towers out and then put them back in...thought it was too empty without them.

Notice I put my daughter's two dachshund puppies in the picture. The two of them have gotten use to Jo's voice now. All afternoon they laid at my feet while painting...not a bark one directed at Jo.:clap:

Looking forward to Ken's class.

Love the paint alongs and will be waiting when they start up again.

Thank you for all of the encouragement and help Jo.

Sherri

hanksgam
09-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Joe, I just downloaded the painting from Sat. from the student page. Awesome!!
The editing you did with the figures, etc. makes it so interesting and shows why you are "da man!"
I just keep learning more and more!
Thank you,
Randi

painterted
09-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks Joe, the shadows are much better. By any chance Joe do you use a LED 300 digital art projector, I seen somewhere you mentioned it, and I was wondering what you thought of it. I'm thinking of buying one.

ted

Sgourlayart
09-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Painterted, this is awesome! Maybe I will try it in watercolor after all!
I really like your style and enjoy seeing your take on things.
RandiDitto from me Ted; this is a spectacular watercolor. I hope Rosemarie and Kathy (paintncook) take a look, because you have raised the bar for a watercolor from this reference. I would be interested in seeing how Jo would paint this as a watercolor. Johannes, how about this or a similar street scene as a watercolor in the next paintalong in a few months? If you are game for this, I might even try and paint along in watercolor. Great paintalong and great posts on it. I am still trying to catch up on all the paintalongs and the break is welcome, as is Ken's upcoming course. Stu

Johannes Instructor
09-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks Joe, the shadows are much better. By any chance Joe do you use a LED 300 digital art projector, I seen somewhere you mentioned it, and I was wondering what you thought of it. I'm thinking of buying one.

ted
Just buy the cheapest one. The artograph they sell in art stores is a big dissapointment because the ight buld is too weak. So stay away from those. Projectors go for about $500 but very handy when you have complex scenes. You don't want to get tired with the drawing and lose interest to paint it.

painterted
09-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Just buy the cheapest one. The artograph they sell in art stores is a big dissapointment because the ight buld is too weak. So stay away from those. Projectors go for about $500 but very handy when you have complex scenes. You don't want to get tired with the drawing and lose interest to paint it.

I just want one for complex scenes. I have been printing out the photo and girding it, this seems to work ok for me. But I kinda like toys.

ted

Sgourlayart
09-02-2012, 10:06 PM

woodyWoody, I am more interested in not being part of the "Trashcan School" for my paintings (joke). I do like the art from the Ashcan School and would like to see more of this from Johannes. Stu

Sgourlayart
09-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Stu, thank you very much for this POV. I hadn't thought of that, just the fact that when I'm painting WITH Joe I miss so much of the "next step" that he is already on. So in order not to miss anything (that's me, LOL!), I would be in the Pause camp big time. Good to read that there are good reasons to, um, step out of my comfort zone. BTW, excellent job on your painting, especially for such a short session.Thanks, Sherry. And thank you also for all your hard work in making these threads more decipherable (I think that's a word). I am glad to see people going back and posting their work on the different session threads as they catch up and finish their paintings. I also really enjoy seeing other people comment and critique the posts, since Jo only does that if he sees something either outstanding or with a real golden nugget opportunity. I had intended to try and go through all the video material over the past 1 and 1/2 years from Jo's classes and see if I can reference all the Golden Nuggets as to their location on the different videos, but I know that I cannot do it alone; I added up the video hours from all of the classes Jo has given during this time and there are 75 different lessons (8 Saturday paintalongs, 8 Sunday paintalongs, the 24 landscape from photos lessons and the 25 different course lessons from the trees, buildings, etc. courses) and over 219 hours of video plus hundreds of different threads on this Wet Canvas site. Awesome rendering from Jo, but an awful lot of "ore" to sort through to garner the nuggets. What a trip! Stu

nougat
09-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Sorry I couldn't stay in for the class. Last week, Ustream wanted to upgrade my IE to 9 or go to Chrome or Firefox. I could at least see the class but not the chat. I was ok with that. I tried to upgrade to IE 9 but my poor old machine wouldn't upgrade it. This week I had added Chrome and could get into the chat and see the class but it was soooo choppy I dropped off. What a resource hog Chrome is. I'll download and give this one a go...I really love the subject matter even though it looks very hard.

I guess it's time to go buy a newer machine. Guess I'd better do it this week or I'll miss Kenny's class which I already paid for. UGH!

ken's class is going to be via gotomeeting and won't need so much resources.

nougat
09-03-2012, 02:53 AM
painterted - great watercolour!

Artcat369
09-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I agree with Stu and everyone else about the value of both painting "live" with Jo, as well as enhancing the work when the download is available. These paintalongs have prompted me to speed up a bit, and concentrate on the overall composition, rather than laboring on various bits which then result in an overworked painting.

I wish Jo would agree to continuing these paintalongs indefinitely- He also mentioned at one time he'd do some seascape lessons and paintalongs...could that be the next topic, Jo?

Anyway, kudoes to the artists who tried this past week's challenge. Ted, your watercolor is awesome! Definitely professional grade!!! Sherry, your painting is fresh and lovely- great color, perspective, and values. Great jobs!!!:clap:

susanc
09-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Joe's painting is definitely better than the Fotosketcher version! I like the color he added to his. It gives more nightlife energy to the mood.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/1697-wet_street_class_4a.jpg

Despite that, maybe I should have pretended this was my painting--not fotosketcher!

HazelP
09-03-2012, 06:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/915542-P1050345-photoshoped_edited.jpg

This Paintalong was a challenge - way out of my comfort zone!!! First try at anything like this but I enjoyed doing it.

Johannes Instructor
09-03-2012, 09:59 PM
I agree with Stu and everyone else about the value of both painting "live" with Jo, as well as enhancing the work when the download is available. These paintalongs have prompted me to speed up a bit, and concentrate on the overall composition, rather than laboring on various bits which then result in an overworked painting.

I wish Jo would agree to continuing these paintalongs indefinitely- He also mentioned at one time he'd do some seascape lessons and paintalongs...could that be the next topic, Jo?

Anyway, kudoes to the artists who tried this past week's challenge. Ted, your watercolor is awesome! Definitely professional grade!!! Sherry, your painting is fresh and lovely- great color, perspective, and values. Great jobs!!!:clap:
Yes seascapes would come up next.

chalet_dor
09-03-2012, 10:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2012/915542-P1050345-photoshoped_edited.jpg

This Paintalong was a challenge - way out of my comfort zone!!! First try at anything like this but I enjoyed doing it.

Hazel WoWZA I love it............: ))

Tonalist
09-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Woody, I am more interested in not being part of the "Trashcan School" for my paintings (joke). I do like the art from the Ashcan School and would like to see more of this from Johannes. Stu

Well said Stu.. I don't think I'm a big fan of the hustle and bustle of city
life in paintings though (which is basically The Ashcan school I think).

I do very much enjoy the more impressionistic way Johannes has painted this
scene though.

woody

Sgourlayart
09-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Well said Stu.. I don't think I'm a big fan of the hustle and bustle of city
life in paintings though (which is basically The Ashcan school I think).

I do very much enjoy the more impressionistic way Johannes has painted this
scene though.

woody
Cityscapes are one of my favorite subjects to paint, Woody. My style is a little tighter and not as impressionistic as Jo's. I would like to see more figures in some of paint alongs. I know that they dominate the scene, but I like the life that they add to the scenes. We'll see if Jo wants to do more of this in upcoming paint alongs. Stu

elisamaria
09-04-2012, 10:45 AM
I want to thank you Johannes so much for such a wonderful, interesting and educational Paint Alongs, which I have enjoyed very much indeed and I am also myself very content being able to follow painting with you and your students with my pastel sticks during all your sessions since June, except your latest watercolor painting when I was totally cut out. The downloads are :thumbsup: ! :heart:
Elisabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2012/735472-P1080715.JPG

Pinklady219
09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Boohooo :crying: I guess this is the last paint along we will be posting for awhile. I didn't realize that just maybe I never painted a cityscape. I have drawn them in pencil but these acrylics were something else. (I do see that my light on the right is out of whack) This is 16x20 with Atelier. I decided I do not like them. They are not buttery enough for me. My picture looks like something is on fire. I think hell is burning in the background :evil: . Thank you guys and see ya around sometime!! Carol

paintncook
09-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Did Jo post his cityscape painting from this paintalong? I don't see it in this thread.

chalet_dor
09-04-2012, 11:24 PM
It is on the access page...........dor:))

Sgourlayart
09-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Did Jo post his cityscape painting from this paintalong? I don't see it in this thread.Kathy, it is on the page Jo sent you the link for downloading the reference materials at the beginning of this 3rd paintalong. Same password plus videos are available for download. Stu

Johannes Instructor
09-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Boohooo :crying: I guess this is the last paint along we will be posting for awhile. I didn't realize that just maybe I never painted a cityscape. I have drawn them in pencil but these acrylics were something else. (I do see that my light on the right is out of whack) This is 16x20 with Atelier. I decided I do not like them. They are not buttery enough for me. My picture looks like something is on fire. I think hell is burning in the background :evil: . Thank you guys and see ya around sometime!! Carol
Boy we have had a nice ride together huh? Now I need to help ken with his course, edit the videos, go on an RV trip to take more photos. Plan the upcoming seascapes course. So I have my hands full this year.

susanc
09-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Boy we have had a nice ride together huh? Now I need to help ken with his course, edit the videos, go on an RV trip to take more photos. Plan the upcoming seascapes course. So I have my hands full this year.

Yes, it's time for you to take a well-deserved break! (If you can call all that a break!) Thanks for everything! It's been fun. Oh, and educational.

I will hopefully post my version of this painting tomorrow...

Hey, will you be making any whistle stops where we can find you on that RV trip?

nougat
09-05-2012, 12:54 PM
:)
yes you really do need a vacation :)
and we can still say hi during ken's class :)

susanc
09-05-2012, 01:36 PM
I know this isn't the place, but now I can't get kicked out of the class for it-- :p (I sometimes I just like to live dangerously!) I hope this little plug is OK since Wet canvas and Northlight are associates. Please delete or move this to a more appropriate thread if you'd like (and even more important, forgive me!).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2012/1697-joe-painting_panpastel.jpg

The painting Joe's working on somehow looks kind of familiar!

I'm probably the last to find this out, but Joe's landscape pan pastel set is now available! Currently on sale? for 50 colors here (http://www.northlightshop.com/johannes-vloothuis-50-color-set) at Northlight...

chalet_dor
09-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Thank you so much for posting this photo.......Now I can see how to arrange my pastels. I needed this...........when I have arranged mine again it will be for the last time.............: )):thumbsup:

nougat
09-05-2012, 11:34 PM
:)

susanc
09-06-2012, 11:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2012/1697-img388a.jpg

For never painting a cityscape before, I am shocked and amazed that it looks like buildings on a street. With people--another first. Thanks, Joe. It also turned out to be very fun. I never would have tried all this otherwise on my own. Too intimidating!

chalet_dor
09-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Sunac, your painting is beautiful! Thank you so much for showing....... : ))

Blue Ridge Painter
09-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Hello everyone, I just finished downloading this paint along and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with part 1. I have downloaded it twice and when I get to the 1 hour and 10 minute mark until the 1 hour and 52 minute mark I lose all audio. Is anyone else having this problem. Parts 2 and 3 were OK.

Johannes Instructor
09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2012/1697-img388a.jpg

For never painting a cityscape before, I am shocked and amazed that it looks like buildings on a street. With people--another first. Thanks, Joe. It also turned out to be very fun. I never would have tried all this otherwise on my own. Too intimidating!
You did a real good job!

Tonalist
09-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Hello everyone, I just finished downloading this paint along and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with part 1. I have downloaded it twice and when I get to the 1 hour and 10 minute mark until the 1 hour and 52 minute mark I lose all audio. Is anyone else having this problem. Parts 2 and 3 were OK.

Hello BR.. actually you're Right!.. I never watched mine after I downloaded it, but just checked. mine blanks out at 1:11:10 and comes back on at
1:51:54.

woody

Johannes Instructor
09-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Hello BR.. actually you're Right!.. I never watched mine after I downloaded it, but just checked. mine blanks out at 1:11:10 and comes back on at
1:51:54.

woody

You are absolutely right. I will correct this.

chalet_dor
09-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Thank you.........: ))

spudsmom
09-07-2012, 07:12 PM

I am excited that you taking a RV trip! A well deserved one.
I'm also jealous because I would like to do the same thing...just have to work a few more years then the hubby and I are going to do the same...

I'll miss paint alongs...I have greatly improved. I am looking forward to Ken's course...do you have to answer all the chat questions for him???

See you tomorrow!
Sherri

Johannes Instructor
09-08-2012, 09:13 AM
I am excited that you taking a RV trip! A well deserved one.
I'm also jealous because I would like to do the same thing...just have to work a few more years then the hubby and I are going to do the same...

I'll miss paint alongs...I have greatly improved. I am looking forward to Ken's course...do you have to answer all the chat questions for him???

See you tomorrow!
Sherri
Yes I will answer. However questions about his theme will be diverted to him.

Rosemarie
09-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Will you tell us when the corrected version can be downloaded?

totsy
09-08-2012, 04:25 PM
This is my first completed paintalong.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2012/158729-Twilight_Drizzle.JPG

chalet_dor
09-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Hello Totsy

WoZa! Congratulations, you have done a beautiful impression of what Jo painted. I am still working on mine.:o

Thank you for showing. You should be very proud of this. I want to encourage you to keep painting............:D

Blue Ridge Painter
09-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Has anyone heard if this has been corrected. No rush I just don't want to miss it

Tonalist
09-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Has anyone heard if this has been corrected. No rush I just don't want to miss it

I haven't seen any post yet.. so I'm sure it hasn't.

woody

Johannes Instructor
09-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Today Sunday I notified FW to download the new version. They will get the emai Monday morning.

nougat
09-09-2012, 11:22 PM
ah ok thanks
that will be tuesday for those of us in europe.

Blue Ridge Painter
09-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Today Sunday I notified FW to download the new version. They will get the emai Monday morning.
Thanks Jo, appreciate your help, I realize how busy you are.

Johannes Instructor
09-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I think we should do a whole course on impressionist cityscapes.
Look at this artist's work. This is exactly what I was indicating during my demo.
http://www.hsinyaotseng.com/cityscapes

nougat
09-11-2012, 03:29 PM
ooh please could we??

nougat
09-11-2012, 03:31 PM
wow - that artist is excellent.

did you see his lovely impressionistic work? and then his still lifes are realistic!

chalet_dor
09-11-2012, 04:06 PM
I love the city scapes, impressionistic stylel. Have book marked him.

I am working on mine right now...........dor:))

pamshowcase
09-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Still waiting to finish this one, poor MiFi signal where we are right now, so will download asap. Citiscapes are appealing , I'm for it!

susanc
09-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Look at this artist's work. This is exactly what I was indicating during my demo.

Love this link! (That brushwork is so juicy...) I can't believe I'm writing this after whining about how bad I am at painting buildings, but I'd definitely like a class in that. The cityscape was sooooo fun!

Also, thanks for trying out Sats. on the paintalongs. It was fun to have a chance to participate live since I can't make it on Sundays.

chalet_dor
09-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Here is my Burbon Street scene in the rain. I sure have had fun. The painting is so wet and I am so tired. . . so I had to stop. Could not wait till morning to take a picture so here it is under my work lamp.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2012/224962-dors_Burbon_St_Night_Scene.jpg

I welcome your comments! I know there is more work ahead of me when it is dry enough............

chalet_dor
09-12-2012, 01:30 AM
I disagree with only using the downloads. I paint in oils and acrylics and seldom paint alla prima and struggle when I do. Working as much as I can during the paintalong is helping me with the rhythm of the painting process and with application of correct values and color and how to change them if they are off. During the paintalongs (I have painted along for at least part of the session in about 2/3 of them, but have only finished a couple during the session) I do miss a lot of what Jo is saying, but I usually pick up on the important parts and develop a rhythm of paint application and color mixing similar to his. I find that reviewing the video and using the video and final painting to finish up just adds to my learning. For the classes where I could not paint along, painting along with the video is just not the same experience for me and the more I paint along, the better I get Here is my block in from yesterday. I was only able to paint along for about an hour and finished up the block in with another hours work. I still have a lot to do on it, but I think it is pretty good so far. Painting is oil on stretched 16" by 20" canvas toned with a warm yellow acrylic from Atelier and my palette is Jo's landscape palette with minor modifications (transparent earth red substituted for burnt sienna); oils are from Gamblin (with Galkyd added) and brushes are all synthetic. Commenbs and critiques are welcomed and final will be posted in a week or so. Stu

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2012/175408-BourbonStreet1.JPG

Stu your painting is awesome the way it is! So now I am waiting to see your finished one..........dor:))

Tonalist
09-12-2012, 10:16 PM

I haven't heard anything about this file since sunday so I downloaded it this
evening just to see if it had been replaced.. not yet. the one that's on the northlights sight is the original one with missing sound. just F.Y.I.

woody

hanksgam
09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Here is my pan pastel of the street scene. I had a hard time getting the pastels to do what I wanted but I didn't give up. Now I am going to try it in watercolor and see what happens!
I had a great time trying this so that is one step ahead for me, no matter how bad it looks!
I'm going to miss our weekly painting sessions but I have purchased the Rocks course of Joe's and will work on that.
I will post the watercolor as soon as I do it.
Randi

chalet_dor
09-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Hi Randy
Looks very good to me. Congratulations : ))

hanksgam
09-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Dor,
I just hope thar leaning building doesn't fall on that couple on the street!
Randi

Blue Ridge Painter
09-13-2012, 07:39 PM
I haven't heard anything about this file since sunday so I downloaded it this
evening just to see if it had been replaced.. not yet. the one that's on the northlights sight is the original one with missing sound. just F.Y.I.

woody
Thanks Woody, I hadn't checked, saw your post I'll try it tomorrow. May have to start writing NL

nougat
09-14-2012, 12:26 AM
oh.. i had downloaded it again but not checked it...

LLeone
09-14-2012, 10:52 AM

I'd love to do that - his work is wonderful! His portraits are incredible as well - without copying anyone's style, that's the way I'd like to paint. Having taken many of your sessions, I feel I'm moving slowly but surely towards that goal.

Sgourlayart
09-14-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.hsinyaotseng.com/cityscapesJo, do it! Maybe a course on the whole movement toward urban art. Ashcan school, Mexican muralists, etc. I live just North of San Francisco, and there are a whole bunch of good urban artists around the SF Bay area. The Academy of Art University in San Francisco has some incredible instructors in this and is producing artists like Hsin-Yao Tseng (one is Randall Sexton). You might want to include some of the artists from the LA area also who do urban scenes (Jennifer McChristian). Take a road trip with Ken and visit some of these people. Stu

jeanetteg
09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Hi Does anyone know if the download has been fixed? I have tried twice and not gotten a good one. I just figured to wait until someone got a good one. lol

Tonalist
09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi Does anyone know if the download has been fixed? I have tried twice and not gotten a good one. I just figured to wait until someone got a good one. lol

I downloaded it once.. I'm just waiting like you for somebody to say it's fixed before I try again..

It's been more than a week since Jo posted he had it ready for northlight.

woody

Sgourlayart
09-18-2012, 01:06 AM
I downloaded it once.. I'm just waiting like you for somebody to say it's fixed before I try again..

It's been more than a week since Jo posted he had it ready for northlight.

woodyI re-downloaded it yesterday. Not fixed then and likely not fixed now. NL does not fix stuff as quickly as Johannes; but we already know that. Wait for Jo's Email, because NL is not good at sending Email either. Stu

Johannes Instructor
09-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I re-downloaded it yesterday. Not fixed then and likely not fixed now. NL does not fix stuff as quickly as Johannes; but we already know that. Wait for Jo's Email, because NL is not good at sending Email either. Stu
Thanks for alerting me. I just sent a reminder and they are taking care of it now.

spudsmom
09-18-2012, 07:30 PM

I vote yes for this idea!!

Sherri

domeland
09-18-2012, 09:04 PM
I vote yes for this idea!!

Sherri

I'm with Sherri - I vote yes too!!!

chodi
09-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Impressionist cityscapes! Yes, please do it. I would attend for sure.

hanksgam
09-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Here is my pan pastel of the street scene. I had a hard time getting the pastels to do what I wanted but I didn't give up. Now I am going to try it in watercolor and see what happens!
I had a great time trying this so that is one step ahead for me, no matter how bad it looks!
I'm going to miss our weekly painting sessions but I have purchased the Rocks course of Joe's and will work on that.
I will post the watercolor as soon as I do it.
Randi

I finished the watercolor but had to add some pastels to soft focus the center and for the water reflections. I had gotten too muddy with the watercolor and I don't think the pastels helped a lot. Messy bottom right corner!
But I did learn a lot! Had Joe's voice in my head trying to help!
Randi

Tonalist
09-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks for alerting me. I just sent a reminder and they are taking care of it now.

I thought I'd download it this morning (Friday 21st) to see if it had ben replaced... North light still hasn't replaced it.

woody

Sgourlayart
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I thought I'd download it this morning (Friday 21st) to see if it had ben replaced... North light still hasn't replaced it.

woodyNot surprising! Everybody already paid for the course! No sales opportunity=no pressure on NL to provide customer service. Until Johannes puts some pressure on them nothing will change. This is my opinion. Stu

Tonalist
09-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I agree Stu..
woody

paintncook
09-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Johannes,
I hope you can let us know when we can redownload. I didn't view the original download to know which one of the three sections is bad. Now I'm reduced to using McDonalds until I return home so hope I can redownload the corrected version of this lesson when I can two and a half months from now. Kathy

Blue Ridge Painter
09-22-2012, 07:06 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: The September 1 Part 1 download has been repaired!!! DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD Three cheers to Johannes

mickisew
09-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Just finished downloading Part 1 again - seems to be fine. Thank you Jo. Micki

cajunRice
09-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Thank you Blue Ridge. After waiting almost 3 weeks, the 5th time download is a charm. Didn't know they worked on Sat.

Ginger

Sgourlayart
09-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Redownloaded Sept. 1 paintalong part I -- still no sound from 1:11 to 1:51. That's probably why we did not here from Johannes yet! He always lets us know when things are fixed. Stu

cajunRice
09-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Stu, when I downloaded this PM, I checked and it had sound in that bad section. Saw your Msg and stucked my thumb drive in to check again and sound is still there. If you have downloaded it as many times as I have, maybe you clicked on an old DL with the error by mistake.
Ginger

Sgourlayart
09-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Stu, when I downloaded this PM, I checked and it had sound in that bad section. Saw your Msg and stucked my thumb drive in to check again and sound is still there. If you have downloaded it as many times as I have, maybe you clicked on an old DL with the error by mistake.
GingerThanks, but I clicked on the new file. I'll try again with a different browser other than IE. Stu

cajunRice
09-23-2012, 01:17 AM
If it's any help, I use IE and an older computer with XP the didn't install an update properly a few days before Sept 1, so missed that one. Very happy to have pt. 1 with sound. Good luck on your next try.

Ginger

chalet_dor
09-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Thank you Jo. I finished downloading Part 1 again - and it is fine. dor:))

Sgourlayart
09-23-2012, 10:50 AM
If it's any help, I use IE and an older computer with XP the didn't install an update properly a few days before Sept 1, so missed that one. Very happy to have pt. 1 with sound. Good luck on your next try.

GingerGinger, it was my brain and not my browser that was faulty; I was playing the old file not the newly downloaded one (which is just fine). Nothing like letting things sit for a little before checking them out again; I wish that I was not quite so impulsive with posting my frustration online, but I know I am not unique in that; thank you for your help. Stu

Obion
09-24-2012, 04:11 PM
:wave: Hi, does anyone know when Johannes is doing his next online art class and what subject may be.
Barbara :-)

HazelP
09-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Probably seascapes early next year.

I intend going back over his painting from photos courses in the meantime - I am sure I can learn a lot more from them the second time round with a better understanding of these subjects.

Obion
09-29-2012, 04:11 PM
:wave: HazelP thank you, I intent doing the same, looking forward to Johannes next online course. I'm going to buy Johannes 50 Pan pastels set, just need the postage cost to send to New Zealand... Barbara :-)

HazelP
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I bought 2 trays of Panpastels a few months back when Jo was first promoting them. I can't remember the price of postage to NZ but know it worked out a lot cheaper than buying them in NZ. I am pleased with the pans but like to finish off with other pastels at the end.

Johannes Instructor
10-03-2012, 01:45 PM
:wave: Hi, does anyone know when Johannes is doing his next online art class and what subject may be.
Barbara :-)
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/WetcanvasLive_logo.jpg
Coming in January 2013!
Essentials of Painting Seascapes

http://improvemypaintings.com/Wetcanvaslive-Seascape%20Promo%20photo..jpg
Seascapes is one of the easiest subjects to paint because once you learn the anatomy of waves which is quite simple,
then you can paint as many variances of them as you want. Learn how to convey the illusion of moving crashing sea water.
The graceful rolling line above the waves and the spray of toppling water will make this subject so attractive to the viewers.
Learn to capture the majestic moment when the eye of the wave appears.
Johannes, an official instructor for the publisher of the Artist's Magazine and Northlight books, will give you all the insight
so you can create one of the most beautiful painting themes known in the art world.

TIME: 1:00 to 3:30 PM Eastern Time
DATES: 3 Saturdays: January 12, 19 & 26, 2013
Fee: Pending Fee only includes taking the live classes. Recorded videos to be sold separately.
The original fee will be deducted from the retail price.
A certificate of completion will be given to those who attend the 3 Saturdays.
REQUIREMENTS: A computer with high speed internet connection ( at least 1.5 MB) download speed.
Registration link will be posted soon. Please check back later

nougat
10-03-2012, 09:08 PM
YAY it's official!!!!

thank you :)

just having fun
10-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Will there be any more paintalongs!!.

Johannes Instructor
10-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Will there be any more paintalongs!!.
Probably in November

Obion
10-06-2012, 06:57 PM
:clap: Thank you, looking forward to all future paint along class's... I can now paint with confidence, not quite Johannes standard yet but slowly improving, heaps better then when I first started, my family are impressed how I have improved, even my 11yr grand-daughter has started painting...
Barbara :-) NZ

Obion
10-06-2012, 07:00 PM
:clap: Hello HazeLP, thank you, I will go ahead and buy the set Johannes has set up for us...
Barbara :-) NZ

nougat
10-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Probably in November

YAY!!!

Blue Ridge Painter
10-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Can't wait:clap: :clap: :clap:

lorigina
10-09-2012, 11:39 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

lorigina
10-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Where do I go to reload part 1 of September 1? Improvemypaintings.com is not showing a link to it. Anybody know?

Sgourlayart
10-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Where do I go to reload part 1 of September 1? Improvemypaintings.com is not showing a link to it. Anybody know?
Look in your old Emails for a message from Johannes Vloothuis on September 4, 2012 with a link for the download of the files. If you can't find it, Email Johannes at the address on his website. The password will be the same one you were using for watching the webinars. I hope this works for you. Stu

lorigina
10-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Stu. I'll do that now.

mcbru
10-13-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm afraid that I have missed much this year...the job got in the way of pleasure. I would like to catch up, if possible. Can anyone tell me if the paintalongs were recorded, and where I might buy and download. I feel I've missed an amazing opportunity, Cuss,cuss, bad words, four letters, etc. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.:lol:

Sgourlayart
10-13-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm afraid that I have missed much this year...the job got in the way of pleasure. I would like to catch up, if possible. Can anyone tell me if the paintalongs were recorded, and where I might buy and download. I feel I've missed an amazing opportunity, Cuss,cuss, bad words, four letters, etc. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.:lol:John, the paintalongs were recorded and were sold in 3 sets of 4 sessions. The videos are good quality with minimal editing and each session is about 6 hours long. I would directly contact Johannes through his website to see if he has any plans to sell any of the sessions again. For your information, he indicated in a posting on one of these threads that he will be starting another paintalong session sometime in November. Make sure you get on his mailing list, because I think he has more paintalongs planned and a seascape course in January. Go to www.improvemypaintings.com (http://www.improvemypaintings.com) and click on "CONTACT US" to get the information from Johannes. I think he is travelling now, but he is good about getting back to people who contact him through the website. I hope this works for you. The paintalongs have been great and well worth the cost in my opinion. Stu

mcbru
10-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Thank You Stu!!!

painterted
10-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Can anyone tell me if the street scene we painted ( sept 1) was New York?

thanks ted

HazelP
10-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I think it was New Orleans Ted.

Rosemarie
10-24-2012, 07:24 AM
New Orleans, Ted.

Johannes Instructor
10-24-2012, 08:54 AM
New Orleans, Ted.

Correct

painterted
10-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks every one.

ted

msparker
10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Can't wait I have missed painting with Jo and all of your friendly chat see you soon.