PDA

View Full Version : violet-grey swatches

sketchZ1ol
08-29-2012, 03:45 PM
hello

since i don't have any of those custom grey selections ,
had to explore some kind of mix with layering .
> a blue-violet rembie .3 with grey nu-p , rembie , and an old grumbie mouse grey D .
the right side was rubbed/prepped with a chunk of well-used kneaded eraser
( the stuff that ends up dark gray and stiff as dry pastry dough ... )
left and right sides were triple layered , left side fixed -
but light enough to lift off down to the white paper
( did i mention i started with white ? )
to make a custom base on 60# paper ,

i did get 400 9 x12 " sheets for ten clams ... :rolleyes:

Ed :}http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2012/203336-to_be_filed_004.jpg

jackiesimmonds
08-30-2012, 04:18 AM
A great way to MAKE yourself some of these lovely greys, is to take lots of crumbled old ends of pastels, grind them up together, and mix with a few drops of distilled water. You will be able then to form new sticks of pastels with the resulting mix, which should be stiff, like pastry. Leave to dry, and hey presto, new pastels.

You can adjust the colours one way or the other with the addition of white, black, or blues. But sometimes, it almost doesn't matter what you begin with, all sorts of colours mixed together will give you fascinating coloured greys.

Donna A
08-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I agree with Jackie! I've saved bits and pieces of pastel, separated into different little containers according to general color---then will now and then mash selected pieces with the back of a spoon on a hard surface. I wear a mask since I found that mashing and mixing while the pastel is dry lets me see the final color so much better than when I would wet the bits and pieces and mix together years ago.

YES! You want to keep the wet mixture fairly stiff so that you can roll the final mixture into the stick shape you want. IF you get too much water into the mix, you can lay the "wet" wet stick on paper toweling, changing the position now and then so that excess water is absorbed. You'll also loose a bit of pastel every time you change the position of the stick, so---added incentive to keep it on the stiffer side!!!

You can make a lot of colors in addition to grays! Just depends on what color bits you save and how you mix them! Enjoy!!! Donna ;-}

Sonni
08-30-2012, 10:13 PM
You might also want to keep your pastel crumbles separated into warm and cool colors. This gives you more options in making warm or cool grays when you have collected enough of them.