View Full Version : Frame help

08-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Please see if you can help me,



08-04-2003, 04:46 PM
I think you mean a 'spacer' inside the frame. I use them for my pastels, although some people don't like it, as you can always see the spacer if you look from an angle into the frame.

There is a thread somewhere...........am looking......

08-04-2003, 07:34 PM

Do a search on DFGray. He did use pre-made frames with spacers and glass and no matting. I tried it, it worked well. Used a great number of frames I had for oils. Saved me a bundle.

I tried to post it but didn't know how. It was way back on July 14, 2002. The thread is called "Matting For Paintings" started by someone by the name of Gloria777a.

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Also might want to check up above in the hall of fame.


08-04-2003, 10:58 PM
We use pre made frames all the time you just need to have your paper or board be tha tsize, We use spacers they come in black ans clear, tthey can keep you painting fro 1/16 th of an inch to 1/4 inch off the glass, you cane buy from United Manufacturers they coast a round $28 for 100 feet,

By the way they are plastic, their toll free number is 1-800-645-7260.

Hope this helps,


08-05-2003, 02:45 AM
Here is a site online that sells spacers.... http://www.framingsupplies.com/FrameTek/FrameTek.htm

08-05-2003, 03:52 AM
I would love a UK shop that does the spacers that the above link provides. Anybody suggestions?

This is what I do:

08-05-2003, 09:26 AM
I've used the plastic spacers alot, they're great. You can also use wooden spacers by buying pieces of wood that craft/hobby shops sell in the model area. The strips of wood come in all sizes and you can cut them down to the size you want. They don't usually show, but think the plastic might be better archivally if your drawings are on paper, unless you coat the wood I think.

08-06-2003, 02:22 AM
Here's a link to Dakota Pastels frame page

Deborah Secor
08-06-2003, 01:04 PM
I've found the commercially made spacers are expensive and hard to use--fumble fingers here can't seem to get it. There are a lot of different brands and types.

However, I use scraps of fomecore cut to fit under the frame edge, on top of the painting, as a spacer. I have my own mat cutter so I can cut them. Then I use a black, gray or beige (or any color) marker along the edge so you don't notice it.

Also, I buy ready made frames that have a fairly deep rabbet so I can decide what depth to cut the spacer, depending on the painting. I also prefer a frame that is wider, to offset the image, but that's all personal opinions.