PDA

View Full Version : Weekly thread 4th -10th August.

Mo.
08-04-2003, 05:54 AM
August, the last month of Summer, another week another weekly thread....Summer with luscious fruits, raspberries, plums, peaches, nectarines, , gardens full of ripe tomatoes and colourful flowers......meadows of buttercups and wild flowers, butterflies fluttering by, bees humming and wasps stinging...sea, sand, sun colourful people in colourful dress........ enough to titilate your imagination? :D....... let's see some sunny colourful Summery paintings....have fun......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of you know now what this thread is all about but for the benefit of those who are visiting for the first time:-

The objective is to paint or sketch as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit, i.e:-

25-30 minutes, 40-45 minutes, and 60 minutes. Small sizes, 8x10, 9x12..or whatever size you feel is right for you.

Time yourself, using a timer or alarm clock and as soon as the timer goes off......stop, and post it here...

The idea behind the set times is so that you learn eye and hand co-ordination, be able to paint what you see without being bogged down by detail and therefore improving your skills.

So come on in whether you are a newbie, a professional or somewhere in between....... all are welcomed here, no critiques unless you specifically want them. It's great fun so do join in.

Here's the link to last weeks thread, some beautiful ones here for you to see and give you an idea about what this thread is all about :-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122362

guilliame
08-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Not working today yoo hoo,but found myself a model to work from,so i did this this morning just on the hour,tried to be quick and loose with the graphite and whacked on some pastel quickly in order to qualify as a pastel drawing,as it's really sunny i think i'll take her out to the garden and do some miore sketches rfrom different angles:D .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2003/6932-trophy.gif

Mo.
08-04-2003, 06:38 AM
Guilli ~ lucky you on your real life model..... Well done!!..... have fun painting more in the garden, look forward to seeing them. :)

guilliame
08-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
Guilli ~ lucky you on your real life model..... Well done!!..... have fun painting more in the garden, look forward to seeing them. :)
Sorry Mo,i cant tell a lie,even from a small boy my mum would look me in the eye and she would know:D my model is only 4ins tall and 2 ins wide had to carry her out to the garden by the time i got set up i was dripping all over the place so i brought everything back in,maybe later lol.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2003/6932-bust.gif

there you go my model hehe,i won her in a golf tournament back in 86,never thought of drawing her before,at least it's not a photo:)

Vegas Art Guy
08-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Nice drawing, glad to see that you have good models that don't move to work with! OK Mo, we better see a plethora of drawings this week... :D

Mo.
08-04-2003, 07:48 PM
LOLOL! Guilli... well it's 3D... as good as in my book.... good for you anyway... seeing the 'model'.. you have done really well... I'm still dripping here, I've had three showers today, but each time I shower I start dripping again...

Greg... I thought a plethora was something you strummed a guitar with :D:D....joking apart ... keep watching this space, I may surprise you yet..... Hmmm where's your's today? I was expecting the office stapler at least. :D:D

Vegas Art Guy
08-04-2003, 11:37 PM
A stapler huh? I was thinking a tape dispenser this week! :D

tick149
08-05-2003, 02:27 PM
This was done on three different sittings for a total time of about maybe an hour. strathmore ,9x12. A practice piece/modification/interpretation of an original project.

Vegas Art Guy
08-05-2003, 08:53 PM
Nice drawing tick! And Mo, I drew the stapler's cousin, the staple cartridge, I'll upload it as soon as I get it downloaded off my digicam.... :D

E-J
08-06-2003, 08:58 AM
That's a pretty landscape, Tick. Guilli ~ nice model :) Where did you get her? Is she African? Hope to join in with some sketches tonight. Decided one of my birthday presents will have to be one of those USB adaptors Mo mentioned.

Dyin
08-06-2003, 11:25 AM
Ha...forget quality...soft pastels, live MOVING CONSTANTLY subject AND....drumroll...PLEINAIRE!!!!!!! Ha...actually took the sticks out to do a morning glory....just guess I'm not a delicate kind of girl...flowers not my thing...so only had kind of landscape colors...so started these...and never can go fast with the OPS...so a little dusty and smudgy, but better handled outside....so...45 minutes on the nose...9x12 watercolor....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2003/19147-pleinaire_45min.jpg

Dyin
08-06-2003, 11:27 AM
hey, tick...awesome! Guilly...fooled me...:D course, I'm easily fooled....

Vegas Art Guy
08-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Cool looking dogs, my mutt never sits that still either....

nougat
08-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Tick - splendid as usual. You really handle all those greens wonderfully!!!

Dyin - great dog sketches. It is difficult when they move but very dynamic!!

Guilliame - lovely African Statue!! One of the first acrylic paintings I ever made a few years ago was of one of a pair of 4foot African statues that I have!!

Here's my sketch. Its from a foto of my 8-year old son when he was 2 years old. This is quite small 6X9ins and in pastel pencil. I don't like working small but this small pad is ok with the pencils....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2003/15364-boy.jpg

Dyin
08-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Hey, nougat...(that always makes me want some chocolate!)...lots of color on this one...how long did it take???

Dark_Shades
08-06-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by tick149
This was done on three different sittings for a total time of about maybe an hour. strathmore ,9x12. A practice piece/modification/interpretation of an original project.

ohhhhh thas nice ..... like that

..... love the little toy horse Nougat

guilliame
08-06-2003, 03:23 PM
hey Tick,soft touch on this ,i like the detail in the trees and grass,nice one well done,reminds me of a golf hole i know hit the ball right and it's in the water,left and it;s in the trees:D

Dyin,if thats a lion lol at the bottom of your pic i can see how you wouldn't be a delicate girl painting flowers,duh de duh da dee duh hey babe lets walk on the wild side,he he tried to sing it while i typed it probaly left out a few duh de duh's:D anyway liked the other quick sketches:cool:

Nougat,i'm impressed you can work so small,well done,nice bright colours,lets see one of your 4 foot statue:D

Dyin
08-06-2003, 03:49 PM
wouldn't walk anywhere but!! Thanks for the song...brought a grin to my face...Boot looks like a lion sometimes, like a bear others...my own little shape changer...

guilliame
08-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Vegas Art Guy,EJ,Dyin,Mo,Nougat,i'm glad you liked my quick sketch of my model he he:D ,but your right Mo it is at least 3d and by positioning it at different angles and shining a light on it from above and from the side throws up end less possibilities for me to practice,also i find it quite difficult drawing something which is 3 times the size of the actual statue:D

EJ,yes it's from the Cote d'Ivoire,Ivory Coast West Africa,my little ivory statue and the carving is very intricate and beautiful:)

Anyway here is another quickie,just under the hour,not very good proportion wise and as the statue is white iv'e just had fun with the skin tones for when i try a slower one later:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2003/6932-ivory.gif

Dyin
08-06-2003, 04:10 PM
ha...be careful that statue doesn't put a spell on you...or too late????:evil: :D looking good...

E-J
08-06-2003, 07:19 PM
It's after midnight. Too hot. Can't sleep. Thinking about a friend who is sick. Nupastels, 25 mins. Going back to bed in a minute.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2003/13865-eggs.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
08-06-2003, 07:38 PM
I was cleaning up my studio today and came across a Sennelier Oil Pastel copper stick. I had not ever used it so I thought I'd do a real quick study of a copper demitasse cup on aluminum foil (to get a reflection).

Put in a base color of red brown and then made this big mistake of the day - I next put in the copper and found I could not place anything on top of it without scrapping back some color. The reflection looks better in real life - I used a silver oil pastel stick for the aluminum foil.

Not happy with it, but done in 30 minutes and learned a few lessons along the way. By the way, it took me longer to get the color somewhat close on my computer than it did doing the actual drawing!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2003/14941-cup1a.JPG

Vegas Art Guy
08-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Those last 2 drawings were great, keep it up. Will post mine tonite...

Dyin
08-06-2003, 07:50 PM
E-J...kiwi fruit???? Pretty nice!
Kat...hey...you painted something! I tried some of the metallic OPs over other stuff...but not as the whole thing...they are pretty transluscent and slick...will remember...never as base!

E-J
08-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Sue ... no, but if that's what they look like then that's fine :) Both sketch and photo were in artificial light. That's my excuse, anyway.

Kathryn Wilson
08-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks Dyin and Vegas Guy: It was fun again to do something real quick - need to remember that - quick and dirty and you at least accomplish something!

Dyin: Are all Sennelier's that slick?? These were nice to use, but certainly didn't take to having a highlight added to the top of it. hee hee . . . the more I look at that reflection, the more it looks like a dog lying down (and it doesn't look like that at all in real life). The camera does some strange things.

It's good to clean up your studio once in awhile. I found a whole box of Faber Castell Goldfaber Oil Pastels!! They seem to be harder than the Neopastels.

E-J: Are those brown eggs or are they Kiwis?? Either way, they are delish - nicely shaped.

Dyin
08-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Suuuure, Kat....mention brown eggs and make me look like I don't know the diff...I don't lol! Sorry E-J...thought they looked real good...as either!!!!

Kathryn Wilson
08-06-2003, 09:51 PM
:evil: :D :angel:

Vegas Art Guy
08-06-2003, 10:18 PM
One staple cartridge... holds about 5000 staples, used with Xerox 490 document centers...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2003/23340-staple_cartridge.jpg

15minutes sanguine and white conte on black paper...

E-J
08-07-2003, 03:06 AM
Kat, yep, they're eggs :) Sue, yes, they're kiwis ;)

Running out of paper so I figured I'd cover two subjects with a single sketch! ;) LOL

nougat
08-07-2003, 09:04 AM
Hi all!

My piccy took about 40 mins to do.

E-J loved the 'kiwi eggs' :D

Guilliame - nice lady!! It seems that you've transfromed your ivory statue into real life!! at least in your imagination!!
Can't fotograph my pic of the statues cos my camera is out of order and I can only scan little things!

Vegas more office supplies!! how about your lunch next time???

Kyle those metallic oPs seem very interesting.

nadine

Vegas Art Guy
08-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Lunch? :eek: Sure Why not.... Are you buying? :D

Dark_Shades
08-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Kat, yep, they're eggs :) Sue, yes, they're kiwis ;)

Running out of paper so I figured I'd cover two subjects with a single sketch! ;) LOL

lolol..... :D

Deborah Secor
08-07-2003, 07:18 PM
I've been so busy doing things for class and writing articles that I haven't had time here, but here's my half hour painting that needs a lot more work but pleases me so far. It's La Carte, a full sheet, in the light brown color. I was tired having done a measured drawing for my class and ended up slinging colors around for fun. Yee Haw!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2003/23609-SunsetSECOR.jpg

Dyin
08-07-2003, 07:20 PM
gorgeous slinging, Deborah! Have you seen E-J's magical kiwi eggs???? :evil: :D Vegas Art Guy...I'm getting scarily intimate with office supplies!

Kathryn Wilson
08-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Yee Haw Dee!!! Lovely, lovely colors in this - can't wait to see more progress shots. Is this evening or sun-up??

Vegas Guy: Yeh, how about your lunch, or snacks, can of pop. I am more intimate with office supplies than I care to share here - LOL.

Dawn: You are naughty - but you wouldn't be Dawn then, would yer?

Sue: Hope you knew I was pullin' your leg, err egg, err kiwi?!

Mo.
08-07-2003, 07:47 PM
Amante;~ such a lovely serene landscape thanks for posting it here.

Guilli: ~ like this one even better... she's gorgeous :)

E-J: ~ Hope your friend heals soon .. nice eggs... See you are still into two's of everything... maybe a threesome next time:D

Kat: ~ I've been itching to use those colours that you used here, gosh you've done well with them! :)

Greg: ~ Glad to see you didn't let me down... what a stalwart you are .:D... great sketch... guess you are still waiting for me... well give me about a month okay?

E-J :~ How about a kiwi fruit omellette?:D:D

Deborah:~ Vivid colours there for you? Very nice though. :)

Kathryn Wilson
08-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Thanks Mo! They are very strange, but I do like the smoothness of Senneliers if they are this nice. With the reflective quality of the sticks, they do not photograph too well and you have to hold the paper just right to get that shine to show even just looking.

I took my Pastel Project painting (the one with the red umbrella) and applied some of this to one of the panels of red in the umbrella and some on her lips) just for fun. Kinda cool looking.

Let me know if you ever use them and what you think.

sweetiness
08-07-2003, 09:19 PM
It's been months but I was finally able to sneak a little creating time in. Sure felt good.
Quick conte sketch (20 minutes) of a generic female. I used one of the stock computer generated female heads in the ref library. I didn't try to copy exactly what I saw, just refer to it. I might add some pastel to it if I can find some more time.
Everyones sketches and paintings look great. Alot of you have sure been turning out the artwork like crazy! I am so jealous.

E-J
08-08-2003, 03:01 AM
Nice sketch, Jenn! I don't know what you mean by computer generated heads, though ... where in the Ref Library does one find such a thing?

Dark_Shades
08-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by kyle

Dawn: You are naughty - but you wouldn't be Dawn then, would yer?

Sue: Hope you knew I was pullin' your leg, err egg, err kiwi?!

*Giggles..... :evil: :D ...... very True!!!.......... but I find EJ sooooo funny :D :clap:

sweetiness
08-08-2003, 03:35 AM
EJ, if you go into the ref library and select POSER FIGURES, and then choose FEMALES, the generic head I worked from is on the last page (page 3) in that section. I'm sorry that i'm so computer illiterate and I don't know how to provide a link for you or at least post the reference here.:o I would give it a go if I weren't so tired. (4:00 a.m.)

nougat
08-08-2003, 05:50 AM
Deborah - lovely lovely colours!!! wish I was there!!

Jenn - great sketch!!! more please!!

Here's today's sketch. This is all your fault Guilliame!!! and here is the female of my stautes.

6X9ins pastel pencils about 40mins.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2003/15364-africa.jpg

guilliame
08-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by nougat
Deborah - lovely lovely colours!!! wish I was there!!

Jenn - great sketch!!! more please!!

Here's today's sketch. This is all your fault Guilliame!!! and here is the female of my stautes.

6X9ins pastel pencils about 40mins.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2003/15364-africa.jpg
Wow,I am soooo glad it 's my fault this is super:clap: :clap: i really like this Nougat,it looks to me as it is a wooden statue,what about the earrings and necklace,are they metal,and the beads are so well done ,i'm going to give you a big puuuussh to draw her mate:D

Vegas Art Guy
08-08-2003, 02:26 PM
:eek: But I like office supplies...:eek: I was thinking about drawing razor blades next, and the using them...:rolleyes: I'll try to draw my lunch... assuming I can resist eating it of course! :D Those are some great drawings everyone, now if only MO would add something here...:evil: :evil: :evil:

guilliame
08-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Omelette,i'm up for that as long as there is a bottle of chablis to go with it:D

Kyle,love the goblet,Faber Castel Goldfaber oil pastels,thems the ones i'm using:D
P.S.thanks for your comments of my 2nd pic of my statue,u 2 Mo glad you liked it:)

dee artist well thrown like this a lot:D

Sweetness,nice portrait drawing,i like the colour of paper and pastel used:) .

nougat
08-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Glad you liked it Guilliame!! OK - I'll do the male next week!!! But I doooo hate drawing so small!!! Oh yes Wooden statues and the beads are shells!!! Actually the beads were the worst thing!!! all alike and all bits and pieces I just don't have the patience for things like that!!!

nadine

Mo.
08-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Great sketch Jenn... saw it in your thread too:)

Nadine that's a gorgeous statue you've painted it well. :)

Originally posted by Vegas Art Guy
:eek: But I like office supplies...:eek: I was thinking about drawing razor blades next, and the using them...:rolleyes: I'll try to draw my lunch... assuming I can resist eating it of course! :D Those are some great drawings everyone, now if only MO would add something here...:evil: :evil: :evil:

Now Greg...hope you are thinking of slitting your throat :eek:

This one's for you, since you declined to do the stapler... I did it for you...15 mins oil pastels....:D Now stop your nagging :D:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2003/5154-stapler.jpg

Mo.:)

nougat
08-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Glad you liked my statue Mo your stapler is fantastic!!

Vegas put all our minds at rest and tell us that the blades are for SHAVING with!!!!:D

nadine

Vegas Art Guy
08-08-2003, 07:19 PM
See Mo office supplies are fun! Actually the blades are for cutting bands on the cases of paper... :D They are just begging to get drawn... :D Oh, I have an electric shaver for that... ;)

Vegas Art Guy
08-08-2003, 10:57 PM
OK you wanted lunch, you got lunch... Or at least my yogurt and tupperwear container... white and sanguine conte on black paper 15 minutes...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2003/23340-lunch_drawing

There no office supplies THIS time... :D

Dyin
08-08-2003, 11:08 PM
oooh...how bout a cow-orker (I know the hyphen's in the wrong place) for your next one??? Since you seem to be amenable to requests????:evil: :D And great tupperware....

ooh...love the wooden statue!!! very nice!

Mo...what new office supply tomorrow???:evil:

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2003, 11:10 PM
Enough of the office supplies and the lunches . . . I want a self-portrait!!! I want to see what Vegas Guy look like . . . hmmmm

Mystiq
08-09-2003, 04:49 AM
Hi guys... Here is my enormous contribution this week :rolleyes: Anyway, it has a cute little story behind it. I have a little manikin... or do I say girl-ikin?? :p My 6 year old decided that it really shouldn't be 'nekkid' anymore so dressed it with tissues and sticky-tape!! :D This is my pastel interpretation of my young fashion designers efforts :D :D (grey mi-teintes, smooth side, 20cm x 30cm - 8"x12", rembrandts, 60mins or so)...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2003/22925-manikin-8-09-03.jpg
~*Tracy*~

Dyin
08-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Tracy...liked the color you used for the 'dress'...geez...daughter really should get into design!!!

Vegas Art Guy
08-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Self Portrait? lol that is funny, at least wait until the 5 week self portrait project is done first! :D Love the pastel drawing of the decorated girl-ikin...

E-J
08-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Nadine's wooden statue is WOW! :clap:

Tracy ~ love the delicate colours you used!

At 5pm I finally spied an area of shade in our back garden, so I sat outside in the heat and struggled with these pots for an hour. Didn't quite get around to the one at the top left, as you can see. Might finish it later.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2003/13865-pots.jpg

I'm sitting down next to Kat to wait for this self-portrait of Greg :D

PS. The right-hand pot has a flat bottom, in case anyone thinks my ellipsis is just really bad!!

Kathryn Wilson
08-09-2003, 01:16 PM
((((hug)))) Welcoming E-J to sit on the bench next to me to wait for Greg's photo/self-portrait.

I love your pots and I know what the flat bottomed one is - they make such interesting planters in the garden with flowers or plants spilling out on the ground.

nougat
08-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey Vegas!!! Nice lunch!! We're all dying to see what you look like!! Well we know you shave and cos of your healthy lunch you're either slim or perhaps trying to become slim...ummm don't keep us guessing!!! So move over on that bench Kyle and E-J!!!

Tracey Ilove your girli-kin!!! Hope things work out OK for you.

E-J - Liked your pots!! There was lots to do there in just one hour!

nadine

Craig Houghton
08-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Even though I'm itching to try out my new set of unison darks that just arrived, I haven't had time this week to work on any pastels. So, in the mean time I'm turning to everyone elses work to rev me up a bit :)

guilliame -- It's great to see paintings bring something inanimate to life (alright, I admit, the pastel is still inanimate, and the statue was already art, but nonetheless, you gave it a new life :) )

tick149 - great landscape. i love use of value and intensity. I actually feel a bit cold standing in the shadows on that landscape -- I wanna run to the sunlit field in the back to warm up.

Dyin - love the dogs, and as I see it, the flowery mane around the front view captures the essence of the pup :)

nougat - good sketch of your son -- the bright colors work well and I especially appreciate how well you handled the form and definition on the leg. and, on your statue, i really love the mahogony-like wooden shine -- very nice.

e-j - I wanna render eggs that well! :) well-done, and super-quick. also, the pots look wonderful. And I never doubted your ability to draw an elipse ;)

Kat - glad you put the stick to good use though, it's a really great looking metallic -- very nice

Vegas - love to see the supplies, and I'm especially glad you gave the stapler statistics! :) very good Also, with your tupperware, you win the still-life subject prize.

Deborah - beautiful -- there's a real softness in the foreground that pulls my towards the horizon -- wonderful work. btw I just read my first issue of the pastel journal and was terribly pleased to see your work and writings -- great stuff.

sweetiness - looks great -- you really seem to have put down exactly what needs to be on the paper.. great job using the conte to capture/create the individual.

Mo - you rule :) that stapler looks dangerously vivid.

Mystiq - the story, subject, and rendering are wonderful. there's a really ethereal quality with that figure -- it's as frightening really as it is intriguing. It's great.

terrific stuff everyone

many thanks,
Craig

Craig Houghton
08-10-2003, 01:13 AM
And well, I guess this doesn't count as a drawing/painting of any sort, but at least it involved pastel on paper :P

I watched a vid on experimental water techniques. They used regular old pastels with water. I tried it out. Later I'll try an actual painting.

Here's a quick animation

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2003/21273-CLP04620.GIF

see, it's not a sketch, but it is pastel on paper ;)

-Craig

p.s. once dried it feels just like regular old pastel. oh, and if i actually use this technique I'll post a new thread sometime in the morning.

Mystiq
08-10-2003, 03:36 AM
Thanks guys!
Umm..... Dyin..... my, ahem... son is a highly creative little fellow.... but perhaps I shall steer him in a different direction of creativity instead of fashion design?!?! lol!!
E.J, the pots are lovely :)

Here's another with a cute little story.... did this with my son's crayola OP's last year, was just scribbling around and it turned into this... Just being silly really.... My son was getting very bored of drawing with me and was begging me to play something else with him... so I said I just had to sign it and I was done.... so he signed it for me! hehehe.... No, he doesn't think his mum is a dragon!!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2003/22925-sb-DragonOP-1-7-02.jpg

Well, I think I've now used up all my cute stories.... Except for the one where my son decided that he doesn't need to know how to clean up his mess because when he grows up, says he, he will get a girlfriend to do it all for him.... Let me tell you I was NOT impressed :eek: Where on earth do they pick up these things?? And what was his preschool teaching him?! I know not. Needless to say, he didn't keep that attitude for very long at all! :evil:

~*Tracy*~