PDA

View Full Version : first try at acrylics

thewanderess
08-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Hello all!
this is my very first post here.I've been reading the stuff on WC for a while now, but just joined as a member a couple of days ago. Anyway, I usually draw with charcoal or graphite but when I saw some of the stuff posted here in this forum I really liked all the colours so I decided to have a go at acrylics. I must say this stuff is pretty hard to work with compared to the control one can exercise over a pencil .
Anyway I watered the paint down a bit, used a homemade stay wet pallette ( baking paper on top of a layer of wet watercolor paper) and then applied it to cardboard but it still keeps drying up sooo fast after applying, so mixing colors is not going the way I expected it would. The colours keep getting quite muddy..I attached a picture so you can see what I mean.
Anyone any tips?

'Dina

SunnyJon
08-03-2003, 07:59 AM
I'm not a painter but I think you add a polymer like in this link. (http://www.cheapjoescatalog.com/catalog/products.asp?id=783&pid=12&ppid=1) Cheap Joe's is an awesome place for art supplies. Hope this link works.:D

blondheim12
08-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Your painting looks good.

I use about 3 drops of acrylic retarder in a spray bottle of water. I spray over the paints on the palette and then use them. It gives me more mixing time if I need it. You can also mist the painting itself if need be. I don't like any of those gel mediums, so I use water as a medium. Part of having a clean crisp look to your painting, is not to overmix. Lay the paint on the canvas and leave it there. Don't do fussy little brush strokes or smush paint around unless you have a definite need to. Also, keep your palette clean and your brush clean between strokes. Scrape off your palette when it starts getting messy. I hope this helps you.
Love,
Linda

thewanderess
08-03-2003, 01:05 PM
thanks for the tips. I guess I do tend to drag colours around quite a lot , leaving the surface looking somewhat dirty, so I will remember not to do so in any future attempts. Also, I might check out one of those retarders. I'm not sure though what brands my local art store has to offer, but I guess any brand should be fine just for practice right?

cheers
dina

fletch
08-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Linda pretty well summed it up with her comments.
I, too, use a spray, but I also like to use gel medium. I can increase the volumn of a mixed color by about 40% without going transparent. I seem to be able to work my paint a bit longer also. Either way, I couldn't get along without my retarder solution. (I keep a large bottle full and fill my sprayer from that).

and I like your painting..:)

Leslie Pz
08-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Your technique is good and you have a few other wonderful tips, too. My only other suggestion is to stick with it... as you become more familiar with the medium and with your own abilities, it will all come together.

Nice piece and keep up the wonderful work!

gillyvu
08-03-2003, 09:53 PM
I am not an acrylic artist, tried to paint with it once.. kinda. But I know how hard it is to start a new medium. I think it's a great first try! And I'm sure with practice, you'll be amazing! Keep on working on it!

thewanderess
08-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Hey .
Thanks for the compliments. Yes I do intent to stick with it. I guess it's like any activity ... If you spend a lot of time on something your bound to get (half) decent at it. (well most of the time anyway).

dina

Eileenjm
08-04-2003, 06:21 AM
:clap: Very nice painting Dina and welcome to WC:cat:

Eileen