PDA

View Full Version : Grose River beach, muddy after big flood.

Debzy
08-26-2012, 10:51 AM
This is the first oil painting I have done in 23 years. I know it has a long way to go and I am wondering about the composition and colours. Is my water dark enough yet? I am nervous because I don't want the painting to become muddy, though the river here was muddy. It had receded after a very big flood.
Any critique is welcome, it is on a canvas 11 and a half inches square. This will just be the first stage. Cheers =)) Debs.

Wahsuzy
08-26-2012, 08:53 PM
You amaze me

Andrewcody
08-26-2012, 09:26 PM
I think the water is dark enough. The scrub is set back from the edge so there would be lighter colours on the water surface
I think you have captured it, great work on such a small canvas.
Regards
Andrew

Debzy
08-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Thank you Suzy and Andrew. I hope with more time and more details I will improve this some more. I appreciate your encouragement and support, I felt pretty strange working in oils after all the water colours I have done, but it was definitely fun and it is still wet so I can make alterations! Thanks again, will post next installment in a day or two. Cheers Debs. =))

arnieb
08-27-2012, 03:53 AM
Looking good. Composition works for me - COI is at a 1/3 point and water appears to point to the COI, resting space below the figure. Personally I would use some more dark in the water and bg, round the figure to bring him out. I would also consider moving water down to meet in same position on bottom edge to allow more space for the reflections and reduce the probably less interesting shore. Hope that helps.
I find Oil is a lot more forgiving than watercolour in that its easy to correct and changes can be undetactable if its not all bumpy underneath. Also like it because you can build up the colour as you go with thin layers of paint that allow the underpaint to show thru. Thats great for doing water and reflections. Arnie

Debzy
08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks Arnie, you might have something there! I will be detailing the background more and darkening some areas, that may bring the person out more. I wasn't sure about the foreground, there is some more minute detail to add, but if I bring the water down to the bottom I was worried that it may cut the scene in half and lose the muddy water receding aspect of the story. I will definitely think about it though, I don't want a boring foreground. Maybe if I detail the trees and mid-ground, the focus will be taken away from the large expanse of gritty dirty sand in the foreground. Thanks Arnie I will think about that while the paint is still wet! Cheers =)) Debs.

Pinklady219
08-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Just lovely Debz. :clap: The water is fine and your reflections are awesome. I like the the airy background. Your figure does get a little lost even though she is brave wearing those white pants in the mud. LOL Perhaps in photoshop add a few twigs or small logs in the foreground pointing to your lady in white and see what that may look like. Carol

Debzy
08-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Thank you so much Pink Lady, I will take your suggestions onboard! Great idea! The person was actually a man, but I may need to change him slightly to show this =)) It was just a quick block in for the moment, I may even change it to a lady, or make two figures! I thank you for your critique, and it is much appreciated! Cheers =)) Have a lovely day. Debs.

Trumper
08-28-2012, 12:28 PM
:) I would add a bit of debris but really not too much more needed,almost finished in my eyes it tells me what i need to see. :)
Another cracker :thumbsup:

Debzy
08-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Thank you Trumper, that is a very encouraging critique! :clap: I appreciate your input and am always happy to hear from you. :thumbsup: I am going to add a few more details, mainly in the trees and banks, maybe just a tad more dark to parts of the water, maybe a little more detail to the person, but not too much. I hope to do some more on this tonight, :crossfingers: (I needed to get some turps I hadn't prepared myself enough for oil painting and only had a little bit of turps, then I ran out so couldn't do more) :rolleyes: I now have some so will try more work on this tonight! :D Cheers and thank you again Debs. =))

Debzy
09-05-2012, 07:40 AM
I have done some more work on this today, it got a bit away from me again, so I'm letting it settle a bit. The white specks are wet paint, didn't do a good job of photographing it. I have added lots more darks, changed the river reflection, changed the man a bit and added a few highlights here and there. Any help would be very appreciated. Cheers =)) Debs.

TDCT
09-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Oooo, I liked the first version so much I didn't want you to change it...but it's better!

The only thing I really miss is the red in the trees in the first stage. I'm sad it's gone now ):. I guess it might not be too realistic to keep it depending on the season, but, maybe you will bring it back? :P. Or I guess that could also be the oil...might be hard to put red over green? Can't remember, haven't painted in oils in years :S.

Either way, looks awesome!

Debzy
09-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Thanks TD !!! This is more in keeping with the colours of the season yes, it was winter and there are fewer warm colours around. Lots of greens and browns though, I actually liked the warm reds also and may just add a tad here and there to liven up the scene more again. Thanks for your observations, I still have work to do on this so will post when next instalment is ready. Cheers and glad you are liking it! Debs. =))

Debzy
09-06-2012, 09:49 AM
This is the next stage, I have mucked it up pretty bad. Will have to wait for it to dry a bit to fix it up. Taking a while to get used to these oils. =(( Any crits or advice are welcome. Cheers =)) Debs.

Trumper
09-06-2012, 12:19 PM
:confused: why do you think you have mucked it up?
I guess the advantage of oils is you can do it again,if it had been watercolours well :crossfingers:
I still like it so not sure what you don't like :)

TDCT
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
This is more in keeping with the colours of the season yes, it was winter and there are fewer warm colours around. Lots of greens and browns though

Bahaha winter is green and brown :S. Lucky you, winter here is nothing but white!

I don't think the new version looks mucked up...it looks less bright but is that just the photo? Also still like it though, either way.

Debzy
09-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks Trumper and TD ! I just feel that the trees got muddy and I lost the freshness. :rolleyes: I will fix it up when the paint dries and hopefully will feel better about it. :thumbsup: Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it. Cheers Debs. =))

TD, Funny, "nothing but white where you are in winter" ! :D lol!

We have had some cold days here it has got down to minus 2, but no snow! It has snowed a bit further up the mountains from where I live though, I never get to see it. It would be nice to do a snow painting! Hope you get some green soon :crossfingers: lol. =)) Debs.

Octopus Inc.
09-06-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't think you've mucked it up either. Maybe give your guy a bit more time, some bits and bobs with the trees and what not, I wouldn't touch the water and you're looking really damn good I'd say!

TDCT
09-06-2012, 10:44 PM
It's green here now - still summer for us, but as soon as winter hits the snow stays!

I shouldn't be propagating myths about Canada haha (which is why I felt the need to respond!), it does get freezing, down to minus 30 in February, but it's also up to plus 30 in the summer. In fact it was yesterday! Then again that's just my tiny piece of a huge place. Can't really speak generally about our weather - too different everywhere.

Anyway back on topic, I can see where you say you might have lost the freshness. But in this case it's ok because as long as you can pop some fresh sharpness on top it will be a perfect base (:.

Debzy
09-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks Octo and TD. I have tweaked it a bit more and I think it's looking better. I am afraid to get it too muddy (pardon the pun) so I think I will finish it here. The colours on the right are a little darker, I couldn't get rid of the glare from the window and it reflected on the wet paint. Let me know what you think, and then I will post in the open forum if no more changes need making. Thanks so much for the encouragement, it is wonderful. Cheers. =)) Debs.

TDCT
09-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Looks good to me!

Debzy
09-07-2012, 04:13 AM
Thanks TD! I really appreciate your viewing and encouragement. I have learned from doing this. The next oil will be better. Cheers =)) Debs.

Trumper
09-07-2012, 01:01 PM
:thumbsup: Yep all done and finished now,well done :)

Debzy
09-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks Trumper for your consistent encouragement. I really appreciate all the help and kindness of the wonderful artists on this forum. I have posted it into open critique now to see what they think. Cheers and have a great day. Debs. =))