PDA

View Full Version : Egg tempera using egg yolk + gouache

karenlee
08-26-2012, 10:15 AM
I have used tubed watercolors with egg yolk to make Ersatz egg tempera; I would like to do the same with gouache and I assume it will work OK. I would like to know if I can use a straight gouache tone underneath; any reason that would not create a suitable base for gouache + egg?

Mayberry
09-07-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm kind of curious about this too. I would think that a gouache underpainting would be okay as long as it is a very thin layer of gouache, so you don't have paint shifting around under you when you start putting watery egg tempera over it.

karenlee
09-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi Cathy, and others--
It's not working. I am getting to much way too much lifting.
Since I am not a regular ET painter, I do not know if this is to be expected, or if it is something I could possibly correct. Further trials are necessary.
Perhaps I am using inappropriate ground. I have some True Gesso boards arriving soon from New Mexico, and will try again on that; they make beautiful gessoed boards for which I do not have the patience!

rkersting
09-13-2012, 12:38 PM
What's the advantage of a gouache imprimatura for an egg tempera if gouache lifts when layers are put on top? Why not stick to egg?
Karenlee: Too much egg to water?...too much paint in yr brush?

karenlee
09-13-2012, 09:23 PM
rkersting: So far no advantage. I was just trying to use some metallic gouache as a bottom layer.