PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastels over watercolor

Sylgy
08-02-2003, 03:57 AM
I am a new artist and learning watercolor. I would like to know if it is okay to use oil pastels over watercolor. Whether a watercolor wash or other watercolor painted objects, would oil pastel over certain areas be alright to use? Would there be any reasons not to use this technique? I realize that once the oil pastel is used, that section or sections would no longer be able to have watercolor subsequently used?
I would appreciate any information. Thank you.

Sylgy

jackiesimmonds
08-02-2003, 04:21 AM
Yes, you certainly can use oil pastels over watercolour ... it simply turns your painting into "mixed media", if anyone asks how it was painted.

Be careful how you use your oil (or any other) pastels over your watercolour. If you only use it on certain passages, be careful that it doesn't look odd - you may need touches elsewhere or else the pic might look half-finished.

Jackie

Sylgy
08-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the information. I thought I might be doing something that would be wrong and eventually ruin whatever I was doing. This forum has helped me tremendously.

Sylgy

Dyin
08-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Hi Sylgy, and welcome to the Pastel forum! There is a huge sticky on Oil Pastels at the top of the forum page and has lots of info on the OPs..they will definately go over the watercolor as Jackie said...and make a lovely effect...the best thing to do is experiment with how much works best...it may be mixed media but if you do use the OPs, we'd love to see the results and hear what you think after using them!

Mo.
08-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Hi Sylgy...warm welcome to you.... I've used OP's and soft pastels on watercolour lots, it works just fine, just play around with them and have fun.

Cheers,
Mo.