PDA

View Full Version : Blue eyes.

Mo.
08-01-2003, 08:47 PM
A little practice piece in Op's, that turned out better than I thought it would,:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2003/5154-blue_eyes.jpg

angeline
08-01-2003, 09:17 PM
wow! that really jumps out the page at you!
good fur!

Dark_Shades
08-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Were both up late burning the midnight oil lolol... ohhhhh what a beautiful close up...... how big is this Mo... you have definately got a way with these OP's now.... that texture is wonderful... can just imagine the feel of it..... great colours...... really sets off those baby blues lol...... that left eye especially....... so glassy and real looking...... good one Mo

Kathryn Wilson
08-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Holy Cow Mo . . . I jumped back from the screen two feet! Those eyes are incredible! Ahhhh, I am now seeing in your OP's what I finally get about them -

:clap: :clap:

MKathleen
08-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Hi Mo:
WOW I love this one--those blue eyes do just come forward and jump right out at you. You also capture that soft look and feline fee of the fur. I didn't read the other posts is this your kitty? Sure is a sweet looking little one and you capture it beautifully.
Best,
Kathy:)

Craig Houghton
08-02-2003, 12:58 AM
I love it. You've presented the kitten (or is it older?) in a most fantastic way! You have wonderfully subtle gradient from each patch of fur to the next that never lose sight of the texture itself -- wonderful.

-Craig

CBruce
08-02-2003, 01:45 AM
This little one has been in my back yard stalking my birds. The eyes have it:)

nougat
08-02-2003, 06:31 AM
PSSHHH PSSHHH here kitty kitty kitty!!

lovely Mo!!! :)

nadine

Dyin
08-02-2003, 09:30 AM
Oh....you already know I love this...I've always loved up close and personal animal poses and this captures a kitty look so well!!! So glad to see you happily working away!!!

pastelist
08-02-2003, 09:34 AM
As they say, the eyes are the mirror to the soul.
The painting is beautiful. Great Work!
:clap:

Mo.
08-02-2003, 09:53 AM
Many thanks everyone for all you great commnets, .... it's not my kitty... don't think my dog would be to happy with a kitty around :D...
I was just fascinated by the eyes and wanted to practise with the OP's to see if I could capture the glassy luminous look with them, took some time, but overall I'm pleased with the result.... thanks all for taking the time to look and comment, I appreciate it very much.

~ :) Mo.

Madder
08-02-2003, 07:37 PM
For some reason (wrongly I now see) I always thought oil pastels made for kind of rough and undetailed paintings. Had no idea you get such detail. Look at that fur, I see hairs! :)

Do you paint portraits of people too, Mo, or are animals your favourite subject? You're certainly amazingly good at it!

Mo.
08-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Thankyou Madder..... Yes I paint portraits, I'll paint anything...but love nature mainly, be it animals , birds, flowers, etc., Also love life drawing and portraits.

I have done quite few commissions in soft pastels, but yet to do a serious portrait in OP's....this one was my most ambitious commission, done in soft pastels and taken from three seperate pics... the lad in the middle was mentally retarded and the expression you see was his way of smiling. :) Their faces were covered in freckles too. :)

It was quite a large painting about 24 x18 inches...not a very good pic of it , taken by a pocket camera, before I had my digital.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2003/5154-siblings.jpg

cheers,
Mo.

Dyin
08-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Mo...you did a great job of combining those kids! Freckles are SO hard...you did a great job on that...like the composition too...I wouldn't think to use the blue like that...but it works really well...ok, that's it...now I want a SERIOUS portrait in OPs...of course after your show...:D

Mo.
08-02-2003, 08:22 PM
In McEnroe's words! ......'You can not be serious'.... :D:D

Joking apart, would love to have a go... I've done a couple of quickies, like the one I did for Sophie's limited pallette one, but that's all... need to practice a bit more before doing a serious one

CarlyHardy
08-02-2003, 11:45 PM
I thought that kitty was leaping out of my screen! Your work with the oil pastels is amazing....furry creatures are difficult in any medium but I can't imaging doing a cat with OP!

That portrait looks like serious work to me!! :)
carly

Deborah Secor
08-03-2003, 12:39 AM
Mo, your cat is wonderful! I love the extreme crop so the eyes are all it's about. I'm also impressed that it's in OP. I've written a couple articles about OP artists now and I'm beginning to see that the medium is only slightly different from soft pastels (shouldn't we call them SPs?)

Kudos for that portrait. It's so difficult to combine three photos into one painting with all its associated scale, lighting and color problems. Well done.

soap
08-03-2003, 05:45 AM
Lovely cat Mo! Well done....
Asking to be stroked.......:)

meowmeow
08-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Wow! I love it....what a great composition and a super job you did! I am always impressed with what you are able to do with those oily critters! :D

Sandy

guilliame
08-03-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey Mo,gonna throw your own word back at you,
GOBSMACKED:clap: :D

Mo.
08-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Carly ~ thankyou, yes the portrait was a serious piece of work, but the kitty was fun :)

Dee ~ thankyou, I would say the effects of OP's are only slightly different and also the techniques, but the big difference comes in the application and handling of the medium,..... had this been done using soft pastels, I would have finished in a quarter of the time it took, but I'm slowly learning the shortcuts. :)

Sophie ~ thankyou loads. :)

Guilli. ~ got me back there :D... Thankyou :)

Smudger
08-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Wow those eyes are stunning!:clap: wonderful Mo

E-J
08-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Beautiful pussy cat, Mo! What an amazing effect you achieved with those eyes :clap: What kind of paper did you use?

christmascarolnz
08-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Hi Mo. What an alluring (got the thesaurus out again;) )
It just has to be a female. My little Rosie has the same type of face.
I remember the portrait pic. I would love to see one in OP's as well...then I might give it a go.:D
Cheers,
Carol

Mo.
08-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Thank you E-J :)....... I used a scrap piece of mount board for this one..took the pastels really well.

Thank you Carol :).... I'm sure you'd do well with the OP's...have a try. :)

~ :) Mo.

Mo.
08-05-2003, 09:32 AM
My Apologies Sandy, somehow I missed your post earlier, unintentional I assure you......thank you so much for your lovely words. :)

Cheers,
Mo.:)

Madder
08-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Oh Mo, just saw your portrait of those kids, that's lovely and sensitive work!!!!

Mo.
08-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Thank you Madder. :)

Cheers,
Mo.